Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

soft steering response help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft steering response help!

hey guys ever since i installed my new rack and pinion I've been having real soft steering. the rack and pinion is used from another lt1 car and i bought it from a trans am junkyard here in Miami. its kinda annoying so is there anyway to adjust it so that i can be a bit stiffer? I've compared it with some of my friends cars and its allot softer then theirs. hell even the v6 ones are stiffer. the reason i replaced my old one is because it would make a weird noise when making right turns. my car is a 97 WS.6 with umi road race k member and full energy suspension front bushing kit. my friends say its the tie rods but i really don't understand how blown tie rods would make your steering super soft. please help and thank you for reading.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Teching In

bump!! lol anyone?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd listen to your friend..if the ends are worn there will be more slack left to right while turning..thus most likely giving the illusion of softness.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Teching In

thanks, ill get new moog tie rods and ball joints installed Saturday and taking it back for an alignment. if nothing get better then im swapping out the rack i guess.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did yo check them first? Just jack the front up and with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock try to wiggle the wheel left and right. If you get any play then replace....but since its a junkyard unit for the price i would do it anyway. And im pretty sure autozones duralast ends are rebuilt moogs and they will save you 20 bucks a side.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

yeah i replaced them and and tire rods. got a new set of bf good rich gforce sport and a new alignment. its feels like how its suppose to be and im verry happy with the results.

Quick Reply: soft steering response help!