Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

where to buy front spring mounts (and what brand).. Can't really find it in search

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a set off a 01 Z28 with 41k miles if you guys are interested PM me. They are in excellent shape and will definitely be way cheaper than the prices i see above!! those things are way too expensive to buy brand new period
Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
What problems did you have?? I installed a new pair of Monroes, when I installed new shocks/springs, a couple of months ago. Finally the snow melted, we got some rain that washed the salt off the road, and I took the car for a short ride.

I heard a "clicking" noise, and decided to take apart the one side to look at one of the upper a-arm bushings, and one of the threaded inserts came loose from the rubber part, and I had trouble getting the bolt out....
I had trouble getting the mount to line up to the factory chassis holes. Once I did get it lined up the threaded inserts also came loose. So I will have the same issue with removing those bolts. Otherwise they were fine.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I had trouble getting the mount to line up to the factory chassis holes. Once I did get it lined up the threaded inserts also came loose. So I will have the same issue with removing those bolts. Otherwise they were fine.

On a serious note, I saw where the studs were a little off before I installed the parts, so I "massaged" the mount in a vise, before I put it together with the shock/spring. However, I think the threaded insert coming loose is "BS" in a big way! I work part-time for Advance Auto parts, so I got them at a discount, as well as got it replaced immediately, however, I still had to remove the whole deal from the car and compress the spring to make the swap....
Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
first i'd check with the dealership... then gmpartsdirect.com
if its #9 in this picture, gmpartsdirect charges $120 +shipping for that.
part numbers
22146933 for left and 22146934 for right

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
I am going to have Koni's installed soon. Is the reason to replace mounts to get rid of old rubber and/or corroded steel??

Mine is a 1999 (old rubber) w/53k but has not been exposed to rain/snow (no corrosion). Hearing about guys installing used ones, it makes me wonder if I should replace the mounts at all? I don't mind having it done since the shop will have it all apart anyway...just wondering the reasons for replacing so I can decide if it's really necessary.

Also, do you guys also replace #8 "upper insulator back" at the same time? It's not clear if this is a rubber piece that would wear out. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRBWS6
I am going to have Koni's installed soon. Is the reason to replace mounts to get rid of old rubber and/or corroded steel??

Mine is a 1999 (old rubber) w/53k but has not been exposed to rain/snow (no corrosion). Hearing about guys installing used ones, it makes me wonder if I should replace the mounts at all? I don't mind having it done since the shop will have it all apart anyway...just wondering the reasons for replacing so I can decide if it's really necessary.

Also, do you guys also replace #8 "upper insulator back" at the same time? It's not clear if this is a rubber piece that would wear out. Thanks.
No, it's not "necessary" I was just trying to figure out if the GM brand mounts were worth it @ over $120 A PIECE (x2) over the auto parts store ones.

Turns out GM are the best. And it's silly to buy brand new, so get used ones- at least thats what I got out of the thread. Besides- your koni's have a lifetime warranty. lol.

Yours are fine as long as they're not ripped/torn etc..
Old 03-29-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Guys,
I still haven't located a pair of used GM mounts.

Do you know where I could get a set/ Do any of you have some for sale ?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

i have a new set of ac delco's, pm me if you're interested
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

neutron- you have a pm
Old 12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
first i'd check with the dealership... then gmpartsdirect.com
if its #9 in this picture, gmpartsdirect charges $120 +shipping for that.
part numbers
22146933 for left and 22146934 for right

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old thread, but I am trying to find the rubber #8 in this picture (for 2002 camaro), anyone have a link or a part number?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

#8 isolator

for example:

http://www.google.com/webhp?nord=1#n...01131973119474

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...rod=MOOG-K6573
Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You rock, thank you so much!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Grimes
You rock, thank you so much!
Amazon has the Moogs for under $6, and free 2day shipping with prime just fyi. All the auto stores near me wanted double that and of course did not have them in stock.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So I know this thread is several years old but there aren't any recent threads with spring mounts in the title. I'm going to be replacing my shocks this year and would like to replace the mounts while in there. What are my options for new spring mounts in 2017? In this old thread it was recommended to stay away from Moog and other aftermarket options. Any suggestions? I will be using Koni STR.T

Also any suggestions on parts I should be checking on or replacing while the shocks are getting done which can be considered good maintenance while in there? Someone above was asking about rubber isolators that weren't expensive. Car is 17 years old with 97000 miles and I'm slowly but surely building her back up!

Last edited by hurley711; 03-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:36 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed Strano springs and Koni Sport shocks over Christmas. I ordered both AC Delco and Moog components from Rock Auto. I used the AC Delco stuff after everything arrived and sent the MOOG stuff back.

In my opinion, the AC Delco and MOOG parts were identical, they were just in different boxes. The stampings and everything about the parts appeared identical. I believe everything came from India, and my money would say that the parts came off the same manufacturing line.

If I had done a bit more research, been better prepared, had more time etc., I might have replaced the upper control arms and some bushings.

To be honest, the mounts were in good shape and could have probably been reused, but buying new ones allows you to assemble everything without reusing any of the existing shock assembly, assuming you are also replacing your springs & your upper and lower isolators.

There may be something about the Koni STR.T shocks that requires the lower spring isolator to be ground down a bit in order to fit into the spring perch on the shocks.

There are some good threads on this site and others. I would do a lot of reading. Check out GM Parts Direct and similar sites for schematics.

Do you by chance have Factory Service Manuals for your car?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I installed Strano springs and Koni Sport shocks over Christmas. I ordered both AC Delco and Moog components from Rock Auto. I used the AC Delco stuff after everything arrived and sent the MOOG stuff back.

In my opinion, the AC Delco and MOOG parts were identical, they were just in different boxes. The stampings and everything about the parts appeared identical. I believe everything came from India, and my money would say that the parts came off the same manufacturing line.

If I had done a bit more research, been better prepared, had more time etc., I might have replaced the upper control arms and some bushings.

To be honest, the mounts were in good shape and could have probably been reused, but buying new ones allows you to assemble everything without reusing any of the existing shock assembly, assuming you are also replacing your springs & your upper and lower isolators.

There may be something about the Koni STR.T shocks that requires the lower spring isolator to be ground down a bit in order to fit into the spring perch on the shocks.

There are some good threads on this site and others. I would do a lot of reading. Check out GM Parts Direct and similar sites for schematics.

Do you by chance have Factory Service Manuals for your car?
No I don't. Shocks are a bit out so I have time to research hence these questions. I think I might replace all the bushings with the Strano kit. Sam has several packages that are intriguing. I'm chalking everything up to good maintenance. My mechanic recommended looking into spring mounts. I'm not good with the technical stuff but I know that the Koni STR.T come with something preassembled on their shocks vs Bilstein SLP that doesn't and has to reuse a part already on the car. Which part is that?
Old 03-14-2017, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Just to add some info to this thread, I ordered the upper shock mounts of a well known online auction site, they ran me $50 for 2 of them, and they fit like crap. Had issues with alignment and one of the threaded inserts came loose, they will be fun to remove in the future.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hurley711
No I don't. Shocks are a bit out so I have time to research hence these questions. I think I might replace all the bushings with the Strano kit. Sam has several packages that are intriguing. I'm chalking everything up to good maintenance. My mechanic recommended looking into spring mounts. I'm not good with the technical stuff but I know that the Koni STR.T come with something preassembled on their shocks vs Bilstein SLP that doesn't and has to reuse a part already on the car. Which part is that?
The koni orange shocks come with nothing on them, BUT they do include a lower spring perch. Your stock lower plastic spring isolators will be too large in diameter to fit in them, but just massage them with a grinder till they do.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can get them from any local auto parts store, or some vendors on here. I always use the Moog mounts and have been very satisfied with their price and performance. I have them on the front of all 3 of my f-bodies

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to thread-jack, but I have a similar question. I redid my full suspension about 4 years back with new bushings, ball joints, springs, shocks, etc., and the front upper spring mount areas make squeaking noise over big speed bumps. I replaced at least one of the spring perches since the old shock was rusted to it and had to be cut off. The new perch (probably autoparts store brand like Cardone or something) even has some micro-cracks in it just like the other one. Maybe both were new, I can't remember.

I want to stop the squeaking, and I am thinking I may need to replace the upper A-arm brackets (the ones that sit on top of the spring mounts) as mine were pretty rusted.

Unfortunately, I can either choose a used set, which will also have rust issues, but hopefully not as bad, for $100 on eBay. Or I can get a brand new set from Classic Industries for the insane price of $700--which is highway robbery for a couple of metal plates. Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

The rubber/metal plate above each shock is in place, and new, as is the rubber isolator that sits on top of the A-arm mounting plate, but below the chassis.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:44 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Not to thread-jack, but I have a similar question. I redid my full suspension about 4 years back with new bushings, ball joints, springs, shocks, etc., and the front upper spring mount areas make squeaking noise over big speed bumps. I replaced at least one of the spring perches since the old shock was rusted to it and had to be cut off. The new perch (probably autoparts store brand like Cardone or something) even has some micro-cracks in it just like the other one. Maybe both were new, I can't remember.

I want to stop the squeaking, and I am thinking I may need to replace the upper A-arm brackets (the ones that sit on top of the spring mounts) as mine were pretty rusted.

Unfortunately, I can either choose a used set, which will also have rust issues, but hopefully not as bad, for $100 on eBay. Or I can get a brand new set from Classic Industries for the insane price of $700--which is highway robbery for a couple of metal plates. Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

The rubber/metal plate above each shock is in place, and new, as is the rubber isolator that sits on top of the A-arm mounting plate, but below the chassis.
What year is your car? You might want to add a signature with some basic info about the car.

I just checked GM Parts Direct and they show both left and right upper control arms as available for my car, which is a 1994 Camaro. I would check your car on that site and if the parts are shown as available I would check with some dealers to see if they can get them. Shbox.com has some contact info regarding reasonably priced OEM parts and the prices have always been much lower than my local GM dealers.

Quick Reply: where to buy front spring mounts (and what brand).. Can't really find it in search