Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New BMR spring owners, I've got a couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New BMR spring owners, I've got a couple of questions...

So I recently installed a set of these springs. I had a weird issue with them and was curious to know if I'm alone or if its normal. When I installed the front springs, I didn't even have to compress them. I just set them down on the shock, put the mount on it, and ran down the nut. I've installed a few sets of factory springs, and eibachs and have always had to compress the front springs in order to get the threads of the shock exposed enough to get the nut started. Is this normal? Also, the car bottoms out on nearly every rock in the road. And I am being serious. I had konis on the car with them in a firm setting, then tried a soft setting, then completely replaced them with new slp bilsteins....still have a problem. Did I end up with some really crappy springs or is this normal? If its the springs I'm just going to reinstall the pro kit I've got laying in the floor. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my fronts were definitely not like that. As far a bottoming out... I have problems with the rear, especially now that I have a stereo system back there. I tried hose mod and new isolators. I'm going back to stock rear springs, but I love my fronts.

did you try a new strut mount and I think you would know this but i have to throw it out there anyway...did you remember to reassemble with the upper a arm ? I just don't understand what could be wrong.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, its kinda hard to put it back together without the a arm, lol. The rear is definantly extremy soft. My pro kit was so much nicer. I'm probably going to re install it. Oh well. The only reason I installed them was because of how much nicer they were supposed to be compared to the eibachs. I never had an issue with the pro kit so and it looked bad *** so I may have to swap them out.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not using the lower perch, are you?

EDIT: you're using Bilsteins now, nevermind.....
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

^lol.

Yeah, I had the bilstein/pro kit set up on my camaro and liked it so....I just wanted to try something new. But I like the way that set up rides/handles for a dd so I guess I'll stick with what I know. Anyone else have any input?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, contact BMR so they can help you rectify the problem. When you take the BMR springs off take some pictures of them next to you Eibach springs before you reinstall them (for comparison) them post them up.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
^lol.
Hey, people do stupid things sometimes, lol
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ this is true.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

I installed these springs last fall with kyb agx shocks and have no problems. Very happy with the ride... sorry but no input as to your problem. I would contact BMR like 99Blur suggested.

Nick
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got ahold of bmr. The front spring install is normal from what they said. The rears are being taken care of. Thanks guys.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

so them bottoming out is normal according to bmr? I'm kind of glad I waited to order them......
Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, not needing to compress the front springs to install is normal. The bottoming out isn't. I just ordered a set of new bilsteins (there cheap and good quality) and the ones I had were new to me, but weren't really new. The konis were seven years old and the bilsteins were 4 or 5 years. After I install the brand new bilsteins, we'll see if its any better and measure ride height. That and the front is perfectly fine, only the rear was bottoming out but it may be because of the really only/new to me shocks. Sorry guys, I could have been a little more specific. Thanks again to bmr for the suggestions and thanks again to all of you for the inputs.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=94Z28-MSTGKLR;13077142]No, not needing to compress the front springs to install is normal. The bottoming out isn't. I just ordered a set of new bilsteins (there cheap and good quality) and the ones I had were new to me, but weren't really new. The konis were seven years old and the bilsteins were 4 or 5 years. After I install the brand new bilsteins, we'll see if its any better and measure ride height. That and the front is perfectly fine, only the rear was bottoming out but it may be because of the really only/new to me shocks. Sorry guys, I could have been a little more specific. Thanks again to bmr for the suggestions and thanks again to all of you for the inputs.

Post up again with new results after bmr takes care of the problem.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

I am kinda of curious of the results you get as well. I am leaning towards the same set-up as you. Also if its not a problem, could you post up some pics? Maybe include some good side shots to see fender gap?

Thanks, Corey
Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
No, not needing to compress the front springs to install is normal. The bottoming out isn't. I just ordered a set of new bilsteins (there cheap and good quality) and the ones I had were new to me, but weren't really new. The konis were seven years old and the bilsteins were 4 or 5 years. After I install the brand new bilsteins, we'll see if its any better and measure ride height. That and the front is perfectly fine, only the rear was bottoming out but it may be because of the really only/new to me shocks. Sorry guys, I could have been a little more specific. Thanks again to bmr for the suggestions and thanks again to all of you for the inputs.
How can not compressing the front springs be normal ? I think you better speak to someone else at bmr cause I don't think they know what they are talking about...every time you hit a dip in the road your spring is going to come off the perch
Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmdriv3r
How can not compressing the front springs be normal ? I think you better speak to someone else at bmr cause I don't think they know what they are talking about...every time you hit a dip in the road your spring is going to come off the perch
He spoke to me

The front spring assembly is not hanging loose in the cartridge like you are thinking.

The spring does have preload on it just not so much that you need a spring compressor to load it on the shock.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

I would be skeptical about the top shock nut being able to put any preload on the spring at all by itself. If you don't need to compress the spring, it seems like it would be too loose at full extension.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pjb
I would be skeptical about the top shock nut being able to put any preload on the spring at all by itself. If you don't need to compress the spring, it seems like it would be too loose at full extension.
Perhaps the term compress is being confused here.

Yes you do need to compress the spring to put the nut on. It just doesn't flop around on there .....It just does not need a spring compressor to do it.

It has tension on it just not 100's of pounds.

The shock off the car would represent it's full extension.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

My Strano's were the same way.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet, yes i have had the EXACT same problem on my BMR springs, bottom out over every small bump, all day every day. strano's too huh? i regret lowering and wont do it ever again. i have the blue tokico's, and no im not dropping mad money on koni's. I know this has been debated in several threads, but what is better for a daily driver guys / BMR? the bilsteins or KYB adjust? cause brick roads in Tampa SUCK! thanks! im glad someone is finally finding a cure to this problem!

Quick Reply: New BMR spring owners, I've got a couple of questions...