Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI A-arms. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI A-arms. worth it?

so do these a-arms improve the steering geometry at all? such as improving roll center, bump steer, keepin more of the tire square on the road while turning? i got a friend thats dumpin sum big cash into his suspension, and the company he's dealin with says he'll run circles around me on the back roads. i got sum hotchkin 35/22 hollow sway bars on the way. and all ready got there rear LCAs and track bar in. also agx shocks with 525/325 spring rates installed. SO.... are these arms goin to make a big differnece or are they just for looks?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

I would say for looks. I used to run Aftermarket lower A arms and I like the factory better. The ones I did like were the ones offed from LG many years ago.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

I think there more for drag racing than corner carving.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

thats what i was thinkin too from my research, but wasn't 100% sure. thats for the info guys. we haven't went head to head on the back roads yet. but i'll keep u guys posted. guess i'll just have to take them on the straight aways.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no they won't change the suspension geometry. I had a set of the BMRs that had the shock mount bend with general road driving. Ended up selling them to a drag racer that reinforced them (I mention BMR because the design is similar).
In the end I bought some stock arms and had some spherical bearings welded in.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krazykarl454
. SO.... are these arms goin to make a big differnece or are they just for looks?
Hello
When you use our A Arms by UMI Performance and a aftermarket K member. You just cut over 30lbs in weight off the front of the vehicle. So in performance wise yes that is a big difference over stock. Sorry for any inconvenience I just wanted to throw that out there for you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Teching In

yea i read about the weight savings, n thats cool. but im lookin for more of a corner carver. so thanks for the info brad and if it turns in to sumthing im lookin to pull the nose off the ground with, i'll call yea. it was just by budy got this killer a-arm spidle set up for his G-body that changed everything around. and made the thing uber nasty.

V7guy i like that idea? did u use like johny joint or a heim? was it just for the rear rubber verticle mount? or both? any pics? thats more my style build it instead of buy it.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Well yea for the Older G and F bodies there is so much out there to upgrade that design. Now our cars have a short/long arm front suspension. It does very well for road courses. I used to run an after market K member and lower A arms-Not UMIs- and thank god I have experiance behind the wheel or it would have been a nasty experiance. UMIs lower A arms are different than BMRs from what Ive seen. They do offer a twin tube K-member. But only reason I saw needing one is if I needed extra clearance for turbos. Search for LGs A arms. He stopped making them a few years ago. They were very nice.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by v7guy
no they won't change the suspension geometry. I had a set of the BMRs that had the shock mount bend with general road driving. Ended up selling them to a drag racer that reinforced them (I mention BMR because the design is similar).
In the end I bought some stock arms and had some spherical bearings welded in.
With the rod-ends instead of rubber bushing you won't get the constant variation in the geometry you do with the factory rubber bushings, sharper steering turn-in , and better road feel are two benefits i noticed with my UMI lower A-arms on my car. You can get the same effect by changing the stock rubber bushings to GW spherical bearing kit(Part# SP-7), but that's still $310, just $70 less then buying new UMI A-arms.
I haven't had and problems with mine running 625 lb.in. spring rates, but I've got the Chrome Moly version.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Idk just an idea.. http://www.globalwest.net/1993-02_Ca...bular_arms.htm
Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by SuperSport01

IMO, not worth it unless you just need to have more +caster and -camber at stock ride height. Why, because you'll lose suspension compression travel using upper A-arms like that.

Just upgrade the bushing in the factory upper arms, GW makes a kit for that also.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Why, because you'll lose suspension compression travel using upper A-arms like that.
why do you say that? I'm curious.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by spy2520
why do you say that? I'm curious.
The tubular upper A-arms don't follow the contours of the shock towers like the factory arms do, which ends up decreasing the suspension compression travel.
I know through the experience of having a set of the GW upper tubular A-arms on my car.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tubular upper A-arms don't follow the contours of the shock towers like the factory arms do, which ends up decreasing the suspension compression travel.
I know through the experience of having a set of the GW upper tubular A-arms on my car.
if that's the case, it would be worsened on a lowered vehicle, which already has decreased compression travel....reason enough to stay away unless you intend other modifications to increase the travel again
Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
if that's the case, it would be worsened on a lowered vehicle, which already has decreased compression travel....reason enough to stay away unless you intend other modifications to increase the travel again
I forgot to say I no longer have the GW upper control arm on my car for that very reason.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We ran into this same issue about a year ago and I can proudly say our upper A-Arms were redesigned and now offer more travel than the factory upper A-Arms, not much more but they no longer limit the travel.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We ran into this same issue about a year ago and I can proudly say our upper A-Arms were redesigned and now offer more travel than the factory upper A-Arms, not much more but they no longer limit the travel.

Hope that helps!
Ryan

So it'll swing just as far up into the shock towers as the factory arms, plus a little more, really?
Well in that case, I guess UMI is the exception to the rule.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree it will help out at the track, not much on the street.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So it'll swing just as far up into the shock towers as the factory arms, plus a little more, really?
Well in that case, I guess UMI is the exception to the rule.
Yep
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got them and I tried them on some nasty curves up here in the Chicago area and I like the feel and the new ride characteristics! It feel a little smoother! The alignment shop had an easy time getting to my prefered specs with no problem!

Quick Reply: UMI A-arms. worth it?