Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installed lca's and know pulls to the left wtf????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installed lca's and know pulls to the left wtf????

let me give u a run down on the suspension on the ss.

the car has bmr sub frame con,adjustable phb and torque arm (bmr)

i just installed the relocation brackets w/lca the lca's r not adj (bmr) and the car is lowered

sportlines .....can some one shim on my problem i know im not the only

one w/ this problem any help would be appreciated thanks

Last edited by NORCAL SS; 03-28-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

your post is really hard to read and misspelled, try fixing those things and you'll get more replies.

did you have stock lca's on before?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

I think you threw the rear thrust line off when you installed the relocation brackets, it may become necessary that you install adjustable LCA and have a GOOD tech do a complete thrust line alignment
Johnny
Old 03-27-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
I think you threw the rear thrust line off when you installed the relocation brackets, it may become necessary that you install adjustable LCA and have a GOOD tech do a complete thrust line alignment
Johnny
That brings up an interesting point.... I installed a set of lowering springs in my '96 Z-28, back when I first got the car in late '95. naturally, the LCAs went into the "uphill" attitude, but I didn't do anything to fix it until several years later. At that point, I bought a pair of relocation brackets from Global West, installed them in the car, using the stock LCAs to set them in place, and one of my friends welded them in place.

I didn't pay much attention to the thrust angle until last year, when I noticed it was off a tad. It was within "acceptable spec", but nonetheless off. So, since I had a few bucks to burn, I bought a set of adjustable LCAs, and set the thrust angle to "zero".....not that it made any appreciable difference.

I guess my point is that some cars will have a thrust angle that's a bit off from the "get-go". I don't think that I changed anything by installing the relo brackets, since I used the LCAs to set them in place....
Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Same question, Has car been realigned after the drop? Badly worn tires?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

If the tires are centered left to right it shouldnt be pulling. Easiest way to make sure everything is good is to take a piece of fishing line and attach a weight at the end of it. In the center of your rear quarter panel, let it drop straight down. With the tire off take your tape measure and see how much distance you have between the rotor and the fishing line. Then check the other side and make sure they are the same. If not adjust your panhard bar to shift the wheels left or right. Same concept with the lower controll arms. Measure from your tire to the rocker panel to your tire, should be the same on both sides, if not adjust your LCAs. That should ensire your rear wheels are going straight.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
If the tires are centered left to right it shouldnt be pulling. Easiest way to make sure everything is good is to take a piece of fishing line and attach a weight at the end of it. In the center of your rear quarter panel, let it drop straight down. With the tire off take your tape measure and see how much distance you have between the rotor and the fishing line. Then check the other side and make sure they are the same. If not adjust your panhard bar to shift the wheels left or right. Same concept with the lower controll arms. Measure from your tire to the rocker panel to your tire, should be the same on both sides, if not adjust your LCAs. That should ensire your rear wheels are going straight.

Not necessarily true!!

The rear axle can be centered, yet the axle can be skewed in the car. It's called "production tolerances".....

In order to check, you need to get the car on a well calibrated, 4 wheel alignment rack, and look at the "rear toe-in" numbers. Yes, I KNOW a Camaro/Firebird doesn't have an IRS, with toe-in adjustments, however any number other than "zero" for rear toe, is telling you the car has a skewed rear axle.

My car had a rear toe of 0.02* "toe-in" on the left, and a rear toe of 0.02* "toe-out" on the right, despite the axle being centered. While 0,02* is not a big deal, something like .030", a pair of adjustable LCAs fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: installed lca's and know pulls to the left wtf????