Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension adjustment advice needed!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension adjustment advice needed!

I just put in an adjustable rear suspension along with my S60 and got the same 1.6 60ft time as I would before with stock suspension. I installed (all Spohn) tunnel mounted adj. torque arm, double adj. lca's, double adj. panhard bar, and the pro-series drag sway bar(that has those little adj. arms that bolt up to the chassis). I did all the installs myself and centered the rearend, only took it to a local shop so they could set the pinion angle for me. I've heard people mention load the suspension and want to know what exactly does that mean? The pinion angle was set -2 degrees. Anybody know how if that drag sway bar can be adjusted somehow for better performance as well? Also put in a brand new Vigilante 3600 multi disc stall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

suspension loaded means the weight of the car is on it. for instance installing it with the rear wheels on ramps, instead of having the car supported on the frame by jackstands and the axle just hanging.

did the car dead hook for the 1.6 or are you still spinning?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What tires are you running? How big a sidewall on the tire? Also do you stall the car up at all when your staged? How are your lower control arms in the rear angled, are they parallel to the ground?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
suspension loaded means the weight of the car is on it. for instance installing it with the rear wheels on ramps, instead of having the car supported on the frame by jackstands and the axle just hanging.

did the car dead hook for the 1.6 or are you still spinning?
Ok that's how we setup the the rearend so my suspension is loaded then! Car hooked fine all 4 times I ran it.

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
What tires are you running? How big a sidewall on the tire? Also do you stall the car up at all when your staged? How are your lower control arms in the rear angled, are they parallel to the ground?
I'm running 275/50/15's MT drag radials and I stalled the car to like 2500 once and like at 2200 another time that i remember. The stall it has is 3600 Vigilante multi-disc. The lower control arms however are not parallel to the ground, the rear of the lca's are tilted upwards a bit. I set it like that cuz that's how the rearend is centered. So what can I do guys?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

anyone else that can point me in the right direction?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Your on the right track with setting the pinion angle at -2. But the drag bars are great for distributing the weight even over the rear axle. As long as the pre load is set the vehicle will leave hard and level every time. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

I just noticed in your sig you have nitrous. Are you spraying in first gear? That may be hurting you if your blowing your tires off or spinning out past the 60' mark. Also I've heard of guys going as far as -3 to -4 on pinion angle. Works for some might not work for you. What are you running as far a shocks and struts?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aren't the back end of the LCA's supposed to be lower than the front for drag racing? Maybe a set of relocation brackets would be worth it!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

I just noticed in your sig you have nitrous. Are you spraying in first gear? That may be hurting you if your blowing your tires off or spinning out past the 60' mark. Also I've heard of guys going as far as -3 to -4 on pinion angle. Works for some might not work for you. What are you running as far a shocks and struts?
Yes I do have nitrous but havn't been using it on these runs and still no improvement from the aftermarket suspension compared to the stock suspension! I'm not sure what brand of shocks and struts it has but they're not the factory ones the previous owner replaced them once(they're orange in color). Are the lca's supposed to be parallel to the ground for best performance or what cuz it was asked previously?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 AM
TECH Regular

orange is the color of factory shocks.

tony
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Aren't the back end of the LCA's supposed to be lower than the front for drag racing? Maybe a set of relocation brackets would be worth it!
Hello
Yes they are! If the control arm is facing the wrong direction and you try to apply power to the rear it will blow off the rear tires. Now that is were the relocation brackets come into play they allow you to adjust the LCA parallel to the ground therefore pushing the rear end into the ground and eliminating wheel hop and putting the power to the ground.

There are so many other factors that come into play as well such as spring and shock combo, It the vehicle is not transferring weight and even if it does you need to to carry over the rear end. And make sure that it doesn't unload to fast because that will cause you to blow off the tires as well. That is were a good adjustable rear shock comes into play. And even tires and tire pressure. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

With the LCA parallel to the ground it's better for On-Street performance. High for the front mount for drag racing. The orange shocks and struts you have are DeCarbon/Delphi *Stock* set up.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

With the LCA parallel to the ground it's better for On-Street performance. High for the front mount for drag racing. The orange shocks and struts you have are DeCarbon/Delphi *Stock* set up.
The rear side(side that bolts on to the rearend) of the lca's is actually slighty higher than the front not much though. Aren't the brackets welded on to the rearend(DanaS60) for these lca's the same as the relocation brackets you guys are talking about? If not, would I then have to buy these relocation brackets and bolt them on to the rearend brackets? Oh and regarding the tire pressure I was running them with like 16-17lbs of pressure.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by conde'strans
Aren't the brackets welded on to the rearend(DanaS60) for these lca's the same as the relocation brackets you guys are talking about? If not, would I then have to buy these relocation brackets and bolt them on to the rearend brackets?
Hello
The brackets can come with the rear if you special order them. But other than that you get the stock LCA mounting location. And that is when the the bolt on relocation brackets come into play. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension adjustment advice needed!