Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

EBC brake pad install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EBC brake pad install question

I tried searching for this and found this exact question, but no one answered the previous thread. so lets try again.

I just bought some EBC green stuff pads, and after reading the installation instructions I'm a bit confused.

"These brake pads are not fitted with original anti rattle shims, Please do not attempt to fit shims from worn pads onto these units which will cause an over-thickness situation resulting in pad drag".

Does this mean not to use the old metal hardware that normally comes with new brake pads, or get new metal hardware? I do not feel comfortable installing the pads without new metal guides

Last edited by z28punk; 04-12-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28punk
I tried searching for this and found this exact question, but no one answered the previous thread. so lets try again.

I just bought some EBC green stuff pads, and after reading the installation instructions I'm a bit confused.

"These brake pads are not fitted with original anti rattle shims, Please do not attempt to fit shims from worn pads onto these units which will cause an over-thickness situation resulting in pad drag".

Does this mean not to use the old metal hardware that normally comes with new brake pads, or get new metal hardware? I do not feel comfortable installing the pads without new metal guides
You are confusing the shims with the hardware kit.

The shims that EBC refers to are the ones that go on the backside of the pad.

The hardware you are referring to is the anti-vibration clips that snap into the caliper mounting bracket and allow the pads to slide in and out and reduce noise.

To answer your question, you definitely want to use the clips that you are referring to. Just don't use any shims behind the backing plates of the pads.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
You are confusing the shims with the hardware kit.

The shims that EBC refers to are the ones that go on the backside of the pad.

The hardware you are referring to is the anti-vibration clips that snap into the caliper mounting bracket and allow the pads to slide in and out and reduce noise.

To answer your question, you definitely want to use the clips that you are referring to. Just don't use any shims behind the backing plates of the pads.
Very well said. You hit the nail on the head.

The anti-rattle shims are to be re-used. Do not use a backing place with the pads. (F-bodies don't use them anyways)
Old 04-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

yea thats what confused me. there are no anti rattle shims on F-bodies, so I thought they meant the hardware. I havent put them on yet. I am still waiting for the rotors I ordered as well. thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: EBC brake pad install question