Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best rear springs for drag racing?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best rear springs for drag racing?

I'm looking into lowering my car's 60ft time at the track and want to change the rear springs. I've already researched this plenty but can't come up with answers. Car gets consistent 1.6's and I want better! Currently has LS1 Sportlines but am currently debating getting rear Eibach drag racing springs or would just getting rear v6 springs perform just as good?? Would Strano springs perform just as good for drag racing as Eibach drag racing springs? Car is a street/strip car not my daily driver, already has rear adj. suspension and DanaS60 prepping it to spray off the line! What would you guys recommend for best performance at the track is what I want to know?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

There's alot of guys running stock LS1 springs and cutting some crazy short times. At the same time there are guy's running some crazy short times on BMR's and Stranos as well. I cut 1.5's on my Stranos all day long, I see no reason to swap them out. IMO the Sportlines are junk, I would toss them for a Strano or BMR spring (if you want the car lowered out back) and a set of drag shocks which would be quite beneficial. If you don't mind the car having a stock-like ride height just run some stock LS1 springs.

I don't think the V6 springs work as well as stock LS1 springs atleast that's what I was told, but don't quote me on that. I'm also pretty sure the Eibach drag springs are a waste of money. The Sportlines are probaly a small hinderance upfront as well so I'd toss them all together if it were me.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Eibach springs all around. Lowered about 1-1/2
With a UMI adjustable TQ arm I've recently cut a 1.44
on 10" x 28" Hoosiers. And I still have the 10 bolt.
Car is full weight.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
There's alot of guys running stock LS1 springs and cutting some crazy short times. At the same time there are guy's running some crazy short times on BMR's and Stranos as well. I cut 1.5's on my Stranos all day long, I see no reason to swap them out. IMO the Sportlines are junk, I would toss them for a Strano or BMR spring (if you want the car lowered out back) and a set of drag shocks which would be quite beneficial. If you don't mind the car having a stock-like ride height just run some stock LS1 springs.

I don't think the V6 springs work as well as stock LS1 springs atleast that's what I was told, but don't quote me on that. I'm also pretty sure the Eibach drag springs are a waste of money. The Sportlines are probaly a small hinderance upfront as well so I'd toss them all together if it were me.
Ok then Stranos it is! Hate to wait though, their site says they would get them at the end of March and we're already half way through April and nothin yet! Now when you say drag shocks would that be just the rears or all around? And what kind would be the best?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+2 go with the Stranos in the back they squat a bunch.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conde'strans
Ok then Stranos it is! Hate to wait though, their site says they would get them at the end of March and we're already half way through April and nothin yet! Now when you say drag shocks would that be just the rears or all around? And what kind would be the best?
It's beneficial to have them all around but that doesn't mean you have to do them all at once. Afco's are probaly the best out there but they are the most expensive. IMO the Stranges are the best bang for the buck, second best to Afco and a tad cheaper and better quality than the QA1's. Out back you could also run some cheap Competition Engineering 3-ways that run $45 a piece and work suprisingly well. All depends on how much you want to spend. I personally went with the Strange's upfront and Comp. Engineering out back because I was on a strict budget but I would have gone Afco if I had money to burn.

Originally Posted by toadzq8
+2 go with the Stranos in the back they squat a bunch.
For drag racing you don't want the back end to squat you want it to lift up. With a proper working suspension the space between the fender and the tire will increase when you launch, squatting just absorbs energy. With my Stranos and the rest of the car's suspension my car lifts properly on the launch but that's because the rest of the suspension is working right.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

It's beneficial to have them all around but that doesn't mean you have to do them all at once. Afco's are probaly the best out there but they are the most expensive. IMO the Stranges are the best bang for the buck, second best to Afco and a tad cheaper and better quality than the QA1's. Out back you could also run some cheap Competition Engineering 3-ways that run $45 a piece and work suprisingly well. All depends on how much you want to spend. I personally went with the Strange's upfront and Comp. Engineering out back because I was on a strict budget but I would have gone Afco if I had money to burn.

For drag racing you don't want the back end to squat you want it to lift up. With a proper working suspension the space between the fender and the tire will increase when you launch, squatting just absorbs energy. With my Stranos and the rest of the car's suspension my car lifts properly on the launch but that's because the rest of the suspension is working right.
What's the part# for the Strange front shocks and where can I get them? By the way I just ordered the rear comp. engineering shocks you suggested, thanks!

Last edited by conde'strans; 04-15-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conde'strans
What's the part# for the Strange front shocks and where can I get them? By the way I just ordered the rear comp. engineering shocks you suggested, thanks!
No problem man! I ordered my Stranges from Eric (ssvert99) at Midwest Chassis & Performance. He is a sponsor on here and offered the best price I could find. The part number for the single-adjustables (what I have) is S5271 and the double-adjustables are part number S5071. I recommend you also grab the Strange torrington bearings and spanner wrench for ~$50, it will make ride height adjustments easier. Not sure if you are aware but you'll want to run a Hypercoil front spring which could can also order from Midwest. I personally got the 300# which seems to be recommended for street/strip, they ran me $120 for the pair. I don't have the part number but if you talk to Eric he will set you up.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

No problem man! I ordered my Stranges from Eric (ssvert99) at Midwest Chassis & Performance. He is a sponsor on here and offered the best price I could find. The part number for the single-adjustables (what I have) is S5271 and the double-adjustables are part number S5071. I recommend you also grab the Strange torrington bearings and spanner wrench for ~$50, it will make ride height adjustments easier. Not sure if you are aware but you'll want to run a Hypercoil front spring which could can also order from Midwest. I personally got the 300# which seems to be recommended for street/strip, they ran me $120 for the pair. I don't have the part number but if you talk to Eric he will set you up.
Thanks, I've spoken to Eric before n he's very helpful I'll be giving him a call about it!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

V6 springs all the way around! A buddy of mine has a v6 car he swapped the v8 into. He cuts 1.38 60 foot times on stock 10 bolt and suspension
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut 1.39's 60ft om BMR lowering rear springs

Last edited by Randy WS6; 04-21-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend staying with the V-8 rear springs or a set of our lowering springs. I have customers running either one with great success.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I am picking up some Comp engineering shocks this weekend, what I dont understand is the rebound compression split. By the advertisement it seems that they only get lighter compression and heavier rebound with that adjustment? But if I understand what you are saying correctly you want stiffer compression, and stiffer springs????

Also what setting do you recommend running the Comp rear shocks at?

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
I would recommend staying with the V-8 rear springs or a set of our lowering springs. I have customers running either one with great success.
Do you see any problem with lightly cut rear stock V8 springs as far as launching goes? I cut my stock ones to lower the rear around 1.3-1.5 range. They ride way better than the crappy prokits it had on it
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do not see it being a huge issue...

It goes slightly modify the spring rate but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for drag racing
Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Do you see any problem with lightly cut rear stock V8 springs as far as launching goes? I cut my stock ones to lower the rear around 1.3-1.5 range. They ride way better than the crappy prokits it had on it
You could have just done the heater hose mod and got the same results.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
I do not see it being a huge issue...

It goes slightly modify the spring rate but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for drag racing
Thank you for the response, it would make them a tad stiffer wouldn't it? So that would be an actual advantage for the launch??

Originally Posted by 99corvette
You could have just done the heater hose mod and got the same results.
Yeah I kinda thought about that but at the time I was going for a very specific ride height/look so I cut the springs to my liking. But I have to admit I didn't even try just sticking the springs and and giving it a look. But I think I know where a stock rear set is I may try to get and try them out.

Especially if its better to run them over cut ones.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

yeah i think its suppose to lower the rear about one inch
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait wait wait. How can you say that you dont want the back end to squat? Im not callin you out I might learn something. I thought you wanted the front to lift and the rear to squat so you can get the weight to transfer to the rear wheels. If the back end lifts then it should make it harder to hook up because there is not as much weight transferred them as there would be if it squatted a little bit. correct?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

i have bmr springs bmr lcas bmr lca brackets, bmr tq arm, and bmr panhard bar and the car cuts 1.9 60 fts stock stall it hooks hard i enjoy it
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SILVER 2288 SS
i have bmr springs bmr lcas bmr lca brackets, bmr tq arm, and bmr panhard bar and the car cuts 1.9 60 fts stock stall it hooks hard i enjoy it
Great suspension you have there, except for that stock stall is killing you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best rear springs for drag racing?