Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ls1 brakes into 2nd Gen F body

Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ls1 brakes into 2nd Gen F body

I just bought a ls1 and t56 combo out of a 01 Trans Am for my 1980 Trans Am and the guy threw in the crossmember and all with it.

My question is can I use any of these parts to upgrade my braking and steering system?

I saw a build on here that had c5 brakes and and used a steering rack as well but there wasnt much info on it.
Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't really specify what parts you have. Check out nastyz28.com for 2nd gen F-body info.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thrashed2
You didn't really specify what parts you have. Check out nastyz28.com for 2nd gen F-body info.
Everything in between the passenger side and driver side tire. Srings, shocks, rotors, calipers, rack, etc.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a guy that has a blue firebird 76 with an entire ls1 f body front suspension setup and motor under the hood. He welded the entire 4th gen front end on 2nd gen and then hung the second gen body panels on it. I'm sure this took alot of work to do.

The 3rd gen guys have been doing ls1 brake upgrades for awhile by cutting down the original brake rotor and turning it into a bearing hub for the ls1 rotor to slide over. You'll have to cut up your stock 2nd gen spindles and fabricate a bracket to move the dual piston caliper out.

Check out 3rdgen.org

As for the rack I don't know but I'd like to know how to make that work.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
There is a guy that has a blue firebird 76 with an entire ls1 f body front suspension setup and motor under the hood. He welded the entire 4th gen front end on 2nd gen and then hung the second gen body panels on it. I'm sure this took alot of work to do.

The 3rd gen guys have been doing ls1 brake upgrades for awhile by cutting down the original brake rotor and turning it into a bearing hub for the ls1 rotor to slide over. You'll have to cut up your stock 2nd gen spindles and fabricate a bracket to move the dual piston caliper out.

Check out 3rdgen.org

As for the rack I don't know but I'd like to know how to make that work.
Yeah I saw that one too, but that is too much for me to tackle. As for the brake upgrade, I was thinking about welding the control arms from the 4th gen into the frame of the 2nd gen. Buy the springs and shocks for a second gen and make some kind of adapter, as long as they are apart the same as stock it should work, I hope. Then the rest of it should be a direct fit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls1 brakes into 2nd Gen F body