brake upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake upgrade questions

ok, here is the deal.
i have a 2000 WS6 with C6 ZO6 replica wheels
i am about to do my brakes i bought new rotors for the front and rear about a year ago and have never put them on so i have brand new ones already.
i want to get the c5 zo6 calipers for the front and rear but not sure what exactly i will need to make them fit on my car (for ex: brackets, c5 or f-body pads, brake lines, or who knows what else) (hopefully someone here will)
and if i just get new calipers and pads can i use my new rotors i have or do i have to upgrade, also would i need brackets if i am not going to a larger rotor. i am mainly wanting it for cosmetic reason as well as just having new stuff. i also change out my wheels to a 16 inch wheel for the track and dont think the larger rotors would fit. so thats why i would just like to change the calipers and pads only, any help/suggestions???
Old 04-18-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want to just upgrade calipers to the C5 Z06 ones, they should bolt right on no problem. They are basically the same as the F-body calipers, except they are pressure cast instead of gravity cast and you can get them already powdercoated. They will look nice, but you will notice no improvement in braking capabilities.

If you want to upgrade your stopping power, you can get C5 rotors (12.8") and get adaptor brackets to use either your existing calipers or the C5 calipers with them. The adaptor bracket spaces the caliper further from the hub to compensate for the larger diameter rotor. The downside is that with most brackets, you have to cut a caliper mounting hole off of the knuckle in order for them to fit.

You can also take that one step farther and get C6 Z51 rotors and brackets. These consist of 13.4" rotors and Z51 caliper abutment brackets. You would use the same aftermarket knuckle-to-caliper bracket adaptor as you would with the 12.8" C5 rotors. The difference is in the caliper abutment bracket allows for the larger rotor.

The ultimate upgrade is the CTS-V or C6 Z06 upgrade. This consists of 14.0" rotors with either 4 piston brembo calipers (CTS-V) or 6 piston PBR calipers (Z06). The Brembo calipers are a direct bolt on to the stock knuckle (no brackets needed, just a few washers) while the C6 Z06 calipers will require the same aftermarket knuckle adaptor bracket thats needed for the other corvette calipers. If you want to learn more about the CTS-V upgrade, check out my sticky thread at the top of the Brakes & Suspension forum.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, if you're switching out to a 16" wheel and just want things for cosmetic reasons, I would just stick to the stock calipers and clean them up and paint them/polish them. The stock calipers offer pretty good braking, and it doesn't look lik eyou need anything high performance. Also, upgrading the rotors to either C5 or CTS-V/Z06 require 17 or 18" wheels (respectively

So yeah, IMO stick with the rotors/calipers you have, paint up the calipers, and just get some high quality (HPS) pads and maybe stainless lines if you want to upgrade braking power.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Wesmanw02 thanks you answered tons of my questions, but is 99formulaM6r correct about the c5 zo6 calipers alone not fitting a 16" wheel?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside
Wesmanw02 thanks you answered tons of my questions, but is 99formulaM6r correct about the c5 zo6 calipers alone not fitting a 16" wheel?
I didn't say it wouldn't fit, I said the rotors wouldn't. I guess I see it as a waste of time/money to get new calipers that won't offer any real advantage to the average driver. The C5 calipers alone should fit.....
Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

oh ok i see, well its just cause i would like to get the calipers now since i have brand new f-body rotors and then on my next brake job i will upgrade the rotors and rims and that will keep me from spending a grand all at once. thanks for the reply 99formulam6r
Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside
oh ok i see, well its just cause i would like to get the calipers now since i have brand new f-body rotors and then on my next brake job i will upgrade the rotors and rims and that will keep me from spending a grand all at once. thanks for the reply 99formulam6r
Oh, ok. I understand. Good luck!

Quick Reply: brake upgrade questions