Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vogtland Springs review, great value at $150

Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vogtland Springs review, great value at $150

Just installed the Vogtland 30mm drop springs, which is the company that makes Strano springs. Just to be clear the Vogtland House springs have different spring rates than Strano's so they are not the same thing.

However they are the same quality at a very reasonable price all over the net. On eBay they are going gor $125 to $150 new.

I have ran Eibach on afew cars including my old trans am. The vogtlands are a bit stiffer. They also lowered the front a bit more than the advertised amount atleast a half an inch. All in all they are a great value and they firmed up the ride enough for my taste, but if you are going to road race I am not sure these would be the ticket.
I don't know much about road racing but I would think the front springs having too much spring rate would have less bite in the corners, but they are great for looks and moderate spirited cornering.

I would buy these over eibachs any day. The eibachs I had were not level and felt kinda soft.

Just wanted to share that for anyone wondering about these. There isn't alot of info on these out there.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Teching In

just put my vogtlands in 3 weeks ago...i love the look and dont mind the ride at all. great value.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

I have a new set ready to install, just waiting for my new shocks to get here. Let's see some pics guys, I'm getting excited!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

The quality of the spring is great, I just don't at all agree with the rates. The fronts are soft, around Hotchkis kind of rates, the rears are stiff. The result is a bit of imbalance at the limit on cars that have a decent alignment or do not have a big front, but stock rear bar.... and ride that stiffer than I prefer from the rear (not just for ride quality, but for stabilities sake). The stiffer the rear springs are, the more and more the car acts like an empty 1-ton pick-up, because well... it's a pick-up in many ways. Not a lot of weight in the rear, solid axle. If you don't have the weight to make the spring necessary, it's not necessary.

Are they better than Eibach? Hell yes on the durability front, and hell yes if you are carrying a lot of load in the car. But in terms of balance, I don't think they are correct. Now, as was stated--they make my springs for me to my specs. I can sell their productions springs all day long, but I don't because I don't think they are quite right. Ironically I do sell their production Mustang springs because they are pretty good, better than the F-body rates for their intended use.

MHO, take if for what it's worth.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The quality of the spring is great, I just don't at all agree with the rates. The fronts are soft, around Hotchkis kind of rates, the rears are stiff. The result is a bit of imbalance at the limit on cars that have a decent alignment or do not have a big front, but stock rear bar.... and ride that stiffer than I prefer from the rear (not just for ride quality, but for stabilities sake). The stiffer the rear springs are, the more and more the car acts like an empty 1-ton pick-up, because well... it's a pick-up in many ways. Not a lot of weight in the rear, solid axle. If you don't have the weight to make the spring necessary, it's not necessary.

Are they better than Eibach? Hell yes on the durability front, and hell yes if you are carrying a lot of load in the car. But in terms of balance, I don't think they are correct. Now, as was stated--they make my springs for me to my specs. I can sell their productions springs all day long, but I don't because I don't think they are quite right. Ironically I do sell their production Mustang springs because they are pretty good, better than the F-body rates for their intended use.

MHO, take if for what it's worth.
What are the rates for your springs?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well known.. 550 front, 150 working rate in the rear with a 100 tender rate to keep them seated @ full droop.

From what I recall, the Vogtlands are 428-540 ish front, and like 168-210 or so rear---but it's been a long while, I don't remember exactly.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

close,

Front Spring lb/inch: 336 lb./in. - 542 lb./in.

Rear Spring lb/inch: 77 lb./in - 228 lb./in.

Working Rate (Front) lb/inch: 440 lb./in. - 542 lb./in.

Working Rate (Rear) lb/inch: 183 lb./in. - 228 lb./in.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ahh, not so far off...

The balance of those, as you can see by the rates, is quite different than what I prefer.

Also and of note. They are made from the same material as my springs, which is lighter than typical spring steel. However, because of the way they are wound, they weigh more pet set them the Strano springs do (the variable front winding adds more coils, the heavier rate rear use thicker wire).

Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tekno66
Just installed the Vogtland 30mm drop springs, which is the company that makes Strano springs. Just to be clear the Vogtland House springs have different spring rates than Strano's so they are not the same thing.

However they are the same quality at a very reasonable price all over the net. On eBay they are going gor $125 to $150 new.

I have ran Eibach on afew cars including my old trans am. The vogtlands are a bit stiffer. They also lowered the front a bit more than the advertised amount atleast a half an inch. All in all they are a great value and they firmed up the ride enough for my taste, but if you are going to road race I am not sure these would be the ticket.
I don't know much about road racing but I would think the front springs having too much spring rate would have less bite in the corners, but they are great for looks and moderate spirited cornering.

I would buy these over eibachs any day. The eibachs I had were not level and felt kinda soft.

Just wanted to share that for anyone wondering about these. There isn't alot of info on these out there.
Did you put these on your car with the RPM 505's? If so, can you post some pics please? Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Will add some pics when I get to a computer. I am dealing with only having a iPhone for now. The wheels with the drop looks sick...
Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Teching In

So i may be flamed for this move, but i put the vogtland springs in with the stock ws6 shocks because i'm a cheapskate and impatient...ride is better than it was.

it did drop a little more than i thought it would, but not too bad...
before

after
Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

What was the drop? Did you do you before and after measurements?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

can i get these anywhere besides ebay?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hlaalu
What was the drop? Did you do you before and after measurements?
no...i was too excited to get them on that i forgot some good before and after shots and to take measurements...

btw i got them from Hot part.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

I was trying to order from hot part a few weeks ago, the check out would never go through and their phone number was disconnected. I found the hot part store on ebay and messeged them and they said they didn't have any in stock anyways. lol
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Just do a buy it now on Ebay. I can find the person I bought them from if you want... they were a great seller.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know how much it exactly lowered it. I do know that they are lower than Eibachs and higher than Eibach sportlines.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

I already bought them, The seller is probably the same one you got yours from
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Sam sells these springs on his website as well...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can sell their productions springs all day long, but I don't because I don't think they are quite right.
Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Sam sells these springs on his website as well...
You krunk?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vogtland Springs review, great value at $150