Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop (shock sugestions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wheel hop (shock sugestions)

Welp my car would get wheel hop ocasionally when hitting second gear kinda hard, But today was out with the wife and rolled away from a light and broke them loose in first and about 2 seconds into the rolling burnout I felt it hop and let off the pedal. So it would appear I may need new shocks since the car has 63k on the clock and are probally original. Im looking for a sugestion as the car is a daily, but enjoy spirited driving ocasionally. I would also like to lower the car but my Borla XR1 muffler isnt tucked up high enough right now and hits on big bumps along with my Y pipe as the stupid exhaust shop didnt adjust it before welding the catback on and it hangs so im going to get a SLP y pipe for replacement but thats another story.

I wanted to resolve this issue before I bought my ZR1's and lower the car after so does anyone have recomendations?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, what tires do you have? Do you have upgraded LCAs or a panhard bar?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd get some LCA's. maybe a aftermarket torque arm.

should help out a lot.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Resident

Im running Sumitomo HTR+ 245/50 R16 right now... Car is 100% stock other then exhaust.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I noticed that you are having wheel hop issues. And the best bang for the $ when it comes to eliminating that particular issue is going with a set of tubular lower control arms (to eliminate the factory flexible stamped LCA with the shot rubber bushings). And relocation brackets to allow you to adjust the LCA parallel to the ground therefore pushing the rear into the ground and lifting the chassis. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...l67g6uhbdh4d64

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Brad, Im a big fan of UMI as I ran some of your parts on my old 86 Monte SS... Altho I was hoping only a pair of shocks all around would help over anything, I have a 8.8 laying around that I was going to put in the SS but sold it before I could tackle that project. Id like to throw that into the T/A later down the road as an upgrade and able to run larger offset rims, So id rather not jump on that grenade with hard parts unless it was to do the conversion. Ill keep you all in mind tho...
Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

I would get better tires and LCA's before anything
Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

What would you say the #1 best mod is for wheel hop??? What's the BEST mod for it? Is there a "best" for this category?

Would tires matter? Can't you basically put on some relo's, good shocks, and TQ arm and at least keep those tires spinning on the pavement? For instance.. this might apply to the driver who doesn't want MT ET streets for daily driving
Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shock will help with ride, handling, and maybe some traction (depending on the shock), but I doubt it will improve traction much in your case.

LCA's, RB's if your angle isn't quite right, and a torque arm are your best bet IMO. Shocks are still a good idea, they make a big difference in the ride
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What would you say the #1 best mod is for wheel hop??? What's the BEST mod for it? Is there a "best" for this category?

Would tires matter? Can't you basically put on some relo's, good shocks, and TQ arm and at least keep those tires spinning on the pavement? For instance.. this might apply to the driver who doesn't want MT ET streets for daily driving
I'm speaking from my personal experience here. When my car was 100% stock, I would get crazy wheel hop riding on kuhmo tires. I added LCAs and a Panhard bar, still the same problem. Finally put a decent tire on the back, nitto 555r and the wheel hop is pretty much gone.

Sure, shocks and springs will help, but I believe tires to be the starting point. If you get good traction in the first place with your tires, the wheel isn't going to spin and leave the ground as much.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hlaalu
I'm speaking from my personal experience here. When my car was 100% stock, I would get crazy wheel hop riding on kuhmo tires. I added LCAs and a Panhard bar, still the same problem. Finally put a decent tire on the back, nitto 555r and the wheel hop is pretty much gone.

Sure, shocks and springs will help, but I believe tires to be the starting point. If you get good traction in the first place with your tires, the wheel isn't going to spin and leave the ground as much.
Yeah the mucho spinning probably enhances the wheelhop condition. 555r's are nice for some people as a daily driver tire, but not for everybody. They last a lot longer than most sticky tires out there. For a street tire, I'd personally want something that had more tread and lasts longer. So I'd want to cure the wheelhop with suspension if possible
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Yeah the mucho spinning probably enhances the wheelhop condition. 555r's are nice for some people as a daily driver tire, but not for everybody. They last a lot longer than most sticky tires out there. For a street tire, I'd personally want something that had more tread and lasts longer. So I'd want to cure the wheelhop with suspension if possible
Very true. And I wouldn't recommend these tires to anyone for a DD tire if they live in a place that actually rains lol. Don't see much here in vegas lol.

Try the LCAs and Panhard bar first then, you can't go wrong. When you compare them to the stock ones you can really see how much the stock ones will flex.

Oh and get adjustables. I wish I would have spent the extra few dollars when I bought them the first time because now that I'm lowering my car I have to order another panhard bar lol
Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Teching In

I had the worst wheel hop problem ever with my 99 SS. Bought a set of bmr adjustable lca's it took longer to put the car in the air than it did to put them on and it solved all wheel hop problems no. Matter the road surface. That's the only suspension work done to the car other than sportline lowering springs. I'm running
295-35-19's toyo proxes. All I have to say that is that was the best $210 spent on the car

Quick Reply: Wheel hop (shock sugestions)