Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My opinions of the strano spring and koni 4/4 shock

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My opinions of the strano spring and koni 4/4 shock

I installed the strano springs and the koni shocks to get rid of that 4x4 look I had. I have them set at where I was told to by strano as far as base settings. I'm not really overly impressed with them. To be honest I think they are pretty over hyped on here. I'm sure they are the best option but its not like the car handles sooooo much better now. I think its pretty comparable to my ws6 shocks and stock springs. Im not trying to cut down the set up but I guess i just would have expected more of a difference.

I do notice it seems a little better when i push it pretty hard into a corner. The ride is definitely more firm which isnt a big deal to me. From when I spoke to strano on the phone I think sway bars are next on my list to see if i can get that feeling im looking for. Idk tho just thought i would post up another persons opinion since I don't think I have read one say they anything but praise about the set up. I mean its nice and im pretty happy with it.But like I said Im sure its one of the best options for f-bodys. Its just not this dramatic improvement that everyone keeps saying that I read on here.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So have you tried adjusting the shocks either softer or firmer from the base settings?
Good quality tires, and having the proper air pressure in them will also makes a difference.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So have you tried adjusting the shocks either softer or firmer from the base settings?
Good quality tires, and having the proper air pressure in them will also makes a difference.
^^^ this.

Especially the tyres. Along with what "99Bluz28" stated the tyres are often overlooked, yet the two very fundamental aspects of both the ride as well as the overall performance are what tyres are responsible for:
  • coefficient of friction of surface contact patch
  • overall tyre spring rate

Having suitable tyres along with appropriate tyre pressure and suspension alignment ensures you're getting the most from your suspension package.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

I have michelin Pilot sport a/s on. They are pretty sticky for a street tire. I really don't want to make it any firmer, its pretty stiff as it is i already feel every dip bump or pebble i run over. I know thats the nature of the beast but i wouldn't like it if it was more stiff. I guess i can try it and see if it doesn't effect the ride as bad.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the sway bars and I think you will be were you want with the car.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firmer doesn't always equal more harsh, play around with the settings some and I think you'll find what you're looking for. I went with Strano's recommendation on mine, but he did say that you should drive it around, see what you think, and make changes to adjust to it. I went firmer in the rear and there was a noticeable impact, and I'm thinking about going a bit softer in the front to make it perfect for me.

This is what's so great about having an adjustable suspension....1 setup isn't right for everybody, so you have the ability to dial it in for your tastes
Old 05-01-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
I think its pretty comparable to my ws6 shocks and stock springs. Im not trying to cut down the set up but I guess i just would have expected more of a difference.
lol... I want the drugs that you are on...
Are you sure you didn't have 1LE suspension on the car or something? Were the stock shocks orange/black?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
lol... I want the drugs that you are on...
Are you sure you didn't have 1LE suspension on the car or something? Were the stock shocks orange/black?
Ya me too. They were just ws6 decarbons I know what i pulled out. Car only has 31xxx miles so there not the worn out shocks i think everyone is used too. Plus ws6's have bigger sway bars.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Dumb question-but you did have it realigned after installing the springs? mine rode very rough till I got it back to specs then I was able to adjust to the roads I drive on.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I would mess around with the settings.. Otherwise you have not really told us what you are looking for as far as the car's handling is concerned. Definetly get the thing alligned.
I have mine set on full stiff in front all the time. but i am on 600lb springs. My rear stiffness varies on the surface on which i auto-x on.

But if you want less body roll get the sway bars.
these cars can be made to eat vettes in the twisties if you set it up right. Also you may not have been pushing your car as much as you think to really experience the benefit of the shock/spring combo you have purchased. It may take a little brain reprogramming because youre expecting the car to do one thing better than it did before but it doesnt do it to the effect that you thought it would. And like i said this could be from not pushing it a little further.

In no way am i saying you should go laguna seca on your local twisties, save that for the track. take the car to an autox to really experience what youve installed. IMO. Youll thank your self for doing it!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

So, it looks better, and it handles better, but it's not really better?

You had low miles on your stock stuff, which of course will mean that changes due to shock damping are minimized, but clearly still there. The fact it doesn't ride like crap, etc, and it's drastically bad in those ways is a very, very good thing.

Over hyped? Well, to each his own, but I'm not sure what you were expecting... and I can tell you that I find the difference dramatic. But the difference will be smallest on low mile shocks and on WS6 and SS's as they have better valved shocks stock than Z28's and Formula's.

Putting those shocks, springs and a set of bars on a car whacks multiple seconds off the lap times of a car in back to back tests. That doesn't happen unless there is a change....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
So, it looks better, and it handles better, but it's not really better?

You had low miles on your stock stuff, which of course will mean that changes due to shock damping are minimized, but clearly still there. The fact it doesn't ride like crap, etc, and it's drastically bad in those ways is a very, very good thing.

Over hyped? Well, to each his own, but I'm not sure what you were expecting... and I can tell you that I find the difference dramatic. But the difference will be smallest on low mile shocks and on WS6 and SS's as they have better valved shocks stock than Z28's and Formula's.

Putting those shocks, springs and a set of bars on a car whacks multiple seconds off the lap times of a car in back to back tests. That doesn't happen unless there is a change....
this is what i was gonna bring up... his stock stuff was probably still in really good shape... on the other hand, my 140k stock springs and shocks were done... before the swap it rode like a boat on water and now it actually feels like a sports car and looks a ton better... win/win if you ask me
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

now that i have my setup put on my car finally,

Im pretty happy with the results. My z28 has 60k so my stock shocks werent ruined yet but were starting to age i suppose. I notice an obvious difference between stock decarbons and this new setup. In my head i guess i kind of expected a bigger performance change also (especially for the price) ...HOWEVER i still see a large performance increase and i'm really happy with the results.

when i took the car on some spirited back roads it never flinched where it used to.

so i partially agree with you op...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Ya me too. They were just ws6 decarbons I know what i pulled out. Car only has 31xxx miles so there not the worn out shocks i think everyone is used too. Plus ws6's have bigger sway bars.
So were they orange/black or not?
I pulled my stock WS6 shocks under 40,000 miles (so they weren't "worn out" either) for konis 4/3's and it was a HUGE difference in ride, handling, balance and feel. Everyone I gave a ride to even noticed a difference with just konis on otherwise stock suspension. WS.6's have a 32mm front bar (2mm bigger than a normal Trans Am) and a 19mm rear (same size as standard).
What you're saying is like saying that you couldn't notice a difference between a stock LS1 and a full bolt on, big cammed LS1.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I added Strano bars, springs, and Koni shocks my car had about 10,000 miles on it and the difference was amazing, it has been one of the best mods that I have done to my car. I would suggest adding the sway bars, check air pressure (30-32psi) and go out and find some curves to push the car a little. I have kept Sam`s original recommendations on the shock settings, which I guess would be slightly on the conservative side, but the car is very compliant on bumps and rides great on the highway. I do not auto-x the car , but if I did, I feel that I have a lot of adjustment left in the car (tire pressure & shocks).
Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Teching In

although my cars suspension is stock, the car only has 47000 miles on it and it handles like a overladen boat even in a straight line. What im saying is lowish mileage is not a guarantee of good stock equipment. When i change mine out im sure i will be one of the thumbs up crowd as any improvement will be dramatic!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

So were they orange/black or not?
I pulled my stock WS6 shocks under 40,000 miles (so they weren't "worn out" either) for konis 4/3's and it was a HUGE difference in ride, handling, balance and feel. Everyone I gave a ride to even noticed a difference with just konis on otherwise stock suspension. WS.6's have a 32mm front bar (2mm bigger than a normal Trans Am) and a 19mm rear (same size as standard).
What you're saying is like saying that you couldn't notice a difference between a stock LS1 and a full bolt on, big cammed LS1.
Yea, and what your saying is that he is not allowed to have an opinion on his setup. What, are you going to talk him out of his opinion of his cars' setup via an internet forum?

I dont see you talking people out of things when they post rave reviews of this setup..... especially pertinent when most of them are going from 100,000 + mile stock steups to quality aftermarket components that would be better than off-the-lot stock components. Many of those raves would be the same for any aftermarket (new) setup on their shot suspension. Of course, you never go out of the way to point these things out.....
Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

My Z had 800 miles on it when it got Stranoized. A car that felt insecure at 80 mph now feels like a sport car and have no problem handling speed at the 137 mph mark. The overall handling is awesome, great turn in, and ride is definitely better than stock. I did spring, shocks, bars and alignment at the same time and I have over time tried a lot of different shock settings. The coming weeks I´ll be doing the Watts-link mod that I bought from Sam. Should be interesting.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
Yea, and what your saying is that he is not allowed to have an opinion on his setup. What, are you going to talk him out of his opinion of his cars' setup via an internet forum?

I dont see you talking people out of things when they post rave reviews of this setup..... especially pertinent when most of them are going from 100,000 + mile stock steups to quality aftermarket components that would be better than off-the-lot stock components. Many of those raves would be the same for any aftermarket (new) setup on their shot suspension. Of course, you never go out of the way to point these things out.....
Do you ever post technical, or helpful information or just anti-strano BS with no experience with anything other than what you have on your car?
I can mail you a box of tissues if it really bothers you that much.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you ever post technical, or helpful information or just anti-strano BS with no experience with anything other than what you have on your car?
I can mail you a box of tissues if it really bothers you that much.
No, he doesn't.

But that's OK, because everyone else knows it, too.

Quick Reply: My opinions of the strano spring and koni 4/4 shock