Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking occasionally and after bumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking occasionally and after bumps

Hey guys, I have a '00 TA and lately every so often I'd hear a clunking almost like a flat tire sound. I was thinking it was my rear end or axle, but I also noticed after speed bumps and stuff I would hear almost like 2 clunking noises as if the wheels would come down and make a noise then the body would come down later or something like that. I really don't know if that makes sense at all but that's how it seems. I greased the rear suspension parts a week or 2 ago and I may have over greased them. I wasn't sure how much so I put quite a bit in there then saw people say online 3 or 4 pumps would be good so I'm not sure if that could be it or not. It has a Spohn Adj. PH Bar, Adj. LCA's, UMI Adj. Torque arm, and stock shocks and springs. It has 94k on it if that makes any difference. Thanks guys and sorry if it's scattered lol it's really early. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Well, never mind. Just crawled under and looked more. My shock is blown. I don't know if this is normal but the shock actually separated from the bottom mount. I took so pics I'll upload in a minute. I know nothing about shocks so is this fixable or is it time to buy new shocks? What are some good shocks for mostly street driven/occasion strip. Thanks

Edit: Uploaded pics. The last 2 I noticed the driverside is not that dirty and the passenger (the blown one) is really dirty. Is that just from it breaking? Coincidence? or something wrong there? Oh and the passenger sway bar bolt is loose on that side. What's the torque spec for that and is that something that can typically happen?
Attached Thumbnails Clunking occasionally and after bumps-imag0073.jpg   Clunking occasionally and after bumps-imag0076.jpg   Clunking occasionally and after bumps-imag0077.jpg  

Last edited by sxracerb25; 05-03-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The oil is from the ruptured shock. I just replaced with the "Good' Gabriels.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Gabriels? Got a link to any? When I was searching I didn't see those. I was leaning towards either the Koni single adjustable or the KYB AGX single adjustable.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Try Big Ten Tires or Discount tire or what ever discount tire store is in your area...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Well, I've searched more and I called Strano and WS6store and it seems between them only the Bilsteins are in stock so I'm thinking about going with those since my car is my DD for now.

Quick Reply: Clunking occasionally and after bumps