Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone running this rear swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone running this rear swaybar?

http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1437

Im waiting on the Spohn sale which is coming up soon and I will be purchasing a set of chromoly sub-frame connectors. After I got those, I would have all his pieces. But then after I thought about it...I forgot about the swaybars. I totally forgot he made them and if the sale does come about, I might as well give it some thought. From what it looks like on his site, he only offers 2 styles of rear sway bars. A drag set up, and a stock style set up only beefier. I was just wondering if the drag set up would be overkill on a 11 sec. car? Should I consider spending the extra money on it or just go with the other one he offers? The stock style is a 1" (25mm) solid chromoly swaybar. It comes with everything that I need and is priced right. Anyhow, what do you guys think that I should get? Thanks a lot. By the way, here is a pic of the drag swaybar that Im referring to.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club NA

Here is a link to the stock style swaybar:

http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1333

This is a pic of it:

Old 01-10-2004, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does anyone have any feedback on either one of these swaybars? I was looking around and noticed that BMR has an extreme rear swaybar too and in the same price range as the race one that Spohn offers. Would either one of those be over kill on an 11 second car? One way or another, Im going to get one or the other, Im just trying to figure out which one I need. Thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a reminder that this will hinder your cornering.
It will make your car even more tail-happy and very prone to let the rear-end go loose when turning (oversteering like no tomorrow).
Old 01-11-2004, 03:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
just a reminder that this will hinder your cornering.
It will make your car even more tail-happy and very prone to let the rear-end go loose when turning (oversteering like no tomorrow).
is that a fact? with the correct combination of distribution via ballance in lateral load with equaly proportioned bars front to back will decrease body roll
even with the solid adj. endlinks or spline type end links. a bigger bar with solid links in the *** of my F with the correct front bar hasnt hindered a damn thing besides gms poorly designed seat sliders (now replaced)

Last edited by jstpsi; 01-11-2004 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club NA

My car is going to be setup for the drag strip...will I be wasting my time or money investing in a rear sway bar? I was reading up on both of them on Spohn's site and according to the info, it states that its suppose to help with those crooked launches. I know my car isnt pulling wheelies, but I can still feel the car pull to one side more than the other. I know that the information I read isnt wrong...or is it? I havent run into any info on this around here so Im really just guessing if a rear sway bar is going to make a difference at the track or not. If it does, which one should I get? That race type seems really complex...is it hard to install or critical to adjust? I like the other one because it looks like an easy install and its more in my budget. However, if the race one is what I need, I dont mind spending the money. Thanks
Old 01-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NVMySS
My car is going to be setup for the drag strip...will I be wasting my time or money investing in a rear sway bar? I was reading up on both of them on Spohn's site and according to the info, it states that its suppose to help with those crooked launches. I know my car isnt pulling wheelies, but I can still feel the car pull to one side more than the other. I know that the information I read isnt wrong...or is it? I havent run into any info on this around here so Im really just guessing if a rear sway bar is going to make a difference at the track or not. If it does, which one should I get? That race type seems really complex...is it hard to install or critical to adjust? I like the other one because it looks like an easy install and its more in my budget. However, if the race one is what I need, I dont mind spending the money. Thanks
If you are setting up for the strip, that would be a wise choice for a swaybar. It'll keep the rear end more even- translating into more even launches.

I would also suggest some rear airbags- They run about $64 for the pair- and will also assist keeping the rear more even at launch.

I'm actually going to be switching out my rear swaybar (the "normal" spohn swaybar) for one of these units in the near future.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:32 PM
9 Second Club NA

Did the regular ("normal") Spohn swaybar make any difference at all? Why are you switching to the race type? If I decide not to go the airbag route, would I be better off with the race type? Besides the thickness between the 2, what else is different? I really dont understand the the spherical rod ended adjustable endlinks. I assume that the regular version doesnt have it and probably shows why its so expensive. Will the regular style not do? Thanks
Old 01-11-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jstpsi
is that a fact? with the correct combination of distribution via ballance in lateral load with equaly proportioned bars front to back will decrease body roll
even with the solid adj. endlinks or spline type end links. a bigger bar with solid links in the *** of my F with the correct front bar hasnt hindered a damn thing besides gms poorly designed seat sliders (now replaced)
unless you are running a 40+mm front sway bar.
With a 35mm front sway bar, you'll find a good combination with either the 19mm or 21mm rear sway bar.
The big rear bar will make the car very prone to oversteer.
Bring it to any RoadRace or AutoX track and do some tests... you'll see.

Quick Reply: Anyone running this rear swaybar?