Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I suck!! After rear install i have no parking brake...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I suck!! After rear install i have no parking brake...

Well i swapped rear and added some LCA relocation brackets. Really i didnt move too much around but i think i know where i screwed up, just not how. Well after the LCA brackets are lower the wire on the Emergency brake wouldnt reach the little hook piece on the backing plate. So i gently pulled on the cable a little and it gave me some slack. I thought great and pulled em over the hooks.

Well now there is absolutely no pressure on the handle when i pull it up. I tried the pulling it while it rolls backward thing and i got nothing. When i go under the car i can pull down about 1 1/2 inches on the cable where it goes from 1 to 2 cables. With the slack being on the back end.

I really dont see how i have more slack now that i pulled the cable further.

Help!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

I did the same thing and don't know how to fix it. Hopefully someone will come in here and help us.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the center console out and look at the mechanism, there is a gear that needs to be engaged that its probable not and letting the mechanism stay put even with you pulling the handle.
once you get it on the first tooth, you have about 1/2 inch to go to the next set of teeth and it should be set.
look at it with out the center console and it will make sense. there is where the problem is at.
hope that helps.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks! I will have to look at it when i get back home
Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ford
Well after the LCA brackets are lower the wire on the Emergency brake wouldnt reach the little hook piece on the backing plate.
what? the brackets shouldn't effect the position of anything except the lower control arm itself. did you move the ebrake cable down to the hole where the lca mounts now? it's suppose to be cut so that it can mount where it originally did over the bracket.

also, you swapped the rear. did you adjust the ebrake after to try to get it to work? maybe you just need to tighten up the cable a bit
Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there is also an adjustment at the actual brake itself. its right where the actual U shaped brake meets. The little teeth on that piece can be roatated to either open up or close up the brakes. you have to use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to make it turn a little....
Did you figure it out?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

The ebrake is self adjusting, if thats your problem, just pull the ebrake handle a few times until the slack is taken out..When I did mine, I had no pressure on the handle..took the console apart to find out that it self adjusts..
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

I would also check the middle of the Ebrake cable. Under the car basically below the center console you will see the cable has two hooks that connect the rear cables to the center cable if those hooks broke or bent that is your problem and they won't pull the cable tight to activate the rear brakes. I've done that and broken 3 at least so now I keep spares so I don't wait for the dealer to get them in.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
I would also check the middle of the Ebrake cable. Under the car basically below the center console you will see the cable has two hooks that connect the rear cables to the center cable if those hooks broke or bent that is your problem and they won't pull the cable tight to activate the rear brakes. I've done that and broken 3 at least so now I keep spares so I don't wait for the dealer to get them in.

Yeah that part looks fine except the part of the cable coming from the console to where it splits to two cables has slack in it. Honestly i havent done much with it since the car is down now. Had it out testing some stuff and now cylinder #7 is showing a missfire. Changed the plug/wire with no luck. Gonna move coils today and then a compression test worse case scenario.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Teching In

E brake self adjust just don't hold button when you pull it do it a couple times and it should tighten up
Old 05-14-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are the park brake shoes adjusted until you feel a little resistance. do not use a hammer to adjust them, a screwdriver is fine to turn it with. if not the adjuster probably need's to be greased or replaced.

Quick Reply: I suck!! After rear install i have no parking brake...