Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rubber engine, poly trans mounts - how bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubber engine, poly trans mounts - how bad?

Yes, I know this is not recommended, and I do NOT intend to run the car like this for very long.

However - I have a poly torque arm mount, and a COMPLETELY seperated rubber trans mount, and worn out rubber engine mounts right now.

I also have a 200 mile trip planned in the next couple of hours.

I have sitting here in my hands a complete set of prothane engine and trans mounts. I have basically NO mods on this car, just an intake. It's stock power level, stock 6 speed trans.

Can I get away with putting in the poly trans mount, and driving the car for a few days like this until I can get back under there for long enough to change the engine mounts?

Or do I risk breaking off the trans tail with stock power levels by doing this?

I realize this isn't a good idea, but I don't know how big the risks are. This is just travel, soon as I'm home I'd be getting the engine mounts squared away. I just need it to last the next 500 or so miles.

Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Because the rubber mount is completely seperated, car pushes the shifter straight up when i accelerate.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran into no issues running a poly transmission mount with the stock rubber motor mounts - I ran it that way for quite a while (at least 6 months if not longer) until I had the time to put the poly motor mounts in, and the car was still a daily driver at that point. I didn't install the preload plate with the poly transmission mount, but other than that I just bolted it in and went on my merry way.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Awesome, that really helps me out, I'm in the process of doing this right now. Could you clarify what you mean by preload plate? Not sure I've heard of that...... I'm taking off the crossmember right now and haven't even opened the package yet for the new mount.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't opened it yet return it & get new rubber!! ................you will be happy
only need poly on motor
Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to hijack to thread...
if i run solids, i need to use poly on the trans, right?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know you can't use solids on both motor and trans, but I'm not sure if rubber is ruled out or not.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the ES mount has a extra plate with it .....it does not need to be used.......i ran rubber and poly before i had a chance to put in my poly MM........dont worry.......just do it
Old 05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Just get the ES trans mount, and either leave the preload* plate off, or grind down the two preload* bumps flat. BTW you don't have this option with the Prothane.

*Without any preload on the ES trans mount you'll get very little added vibration.

Quick Reply: Rubber engine, poly trans mounts - how bad?