Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding brakes, cant get clean fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bleeding brakes, cant get clean fluid

Hey guys, I'm sitting here in my car pushing the brake pedal as I write this, I just changed out my pads an rotors and put in earls solo bleeders. I have done both the rears already and they took about 1/2 quart of fluid for it to come out clean. I'm on the front passenger side now and I've put 3 quarts already and its still coming out murky green/black with nasty stuff in it. How much should this take? My leg is seriously getting tired here and I still have one more to go.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

When I did mine, I completed the entire process with one of the big jugs (??quart??)of brake fluid. It took emptying the reservoir about 5 times before it was pumping clean fluid down the lines.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hindsight is 20/20 at this point but for others reading, siphon the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid BEFORE you start bleeding your system. If you don't, you'll be wasting quite a bit of fluid as the reservoir will ever so slowly change its ratio from old to new fluid.

Realistically, one large bottle of fluid is more than enough to bleed the system if you do it as described.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ This! I keep a turkey baster in my box for just this purpose. Makes it easy to suck the old nasty stuff out.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe try again with the OEM bleeder screws the old fashioned method? Try that and see if it works. I've heard Earl's solo bleeders can sometimes have issues sealing correctly. If they aren't sealing correctly, they might be sucking all the dirty fluid back in.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, definitely not going back in. I forgot to update it, but I got it done with about a gallon on each front caliper. The tube I used wasn't submerged so there is no way for it to suck any back up. I think the amount it a little excessive and there was a lot of metal dust in it. BTW I did siphon out the reservoir, filled it, rattled it around to get some loose stuff out, and siphoned it out again before I even started. I'm wondering if the master cylinder is eating itself up on the inside, most of the crap seemed to be metallic.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Teching In

I was about to replace my rotors and brake pads then bleed, Im still trying to read as much as I can before I start pulling stuff off. Anyway how do you to bleed the lines correctly?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedLed
I was about to replace my rotors and brake pads then bleed, Im still trying to read as much as I can before I start pulling stuff off. Anyway how do you to bleed the lines correctly?
There are many different ways to bleed the brakes correctly. If you arn't looking to flush out the brake fluid, and are just changing the pads and rotors, then you won't have to bleed the brakes one bit.

I would google bleeding brakes to find out all the different methods, because typing all that out could take a long time.