Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop after mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel hop after mods

Looking for some help with what direction to go to fix this wheel hop on hard launches . It just started happening after the following winter mods , long tube headers ,poly motor mounts, poly torque arm bushing,and 3200 yank stall.The shocks are all 2 years old (koni 4/3) and are all good, stock springs and a adjustable panhard bar,stock lca and torque arm . Any ideals would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no pro but I would suspect the stock LCAs are not helping anything. They are stamped steel so they are a little flexible, plus how many miles are on their bushings? I got wheel hop on a stock v6 simply from worn bushings.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Cheap fix, box in your control arms if you dont want to buy new ones
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

You already have an adj. panhard bar so I'd say getting some adj. lca's and relocation brackets for them could help you solve this. Setting the lca's on the bottom hole of the reloc brackets would allow a better upward angle on the lca's.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd do LCA relocation brackets first, before aftermarket LCAs
Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stock torque arm can be the culprit. Found out this weekend on a 2200 rpm launch, mine now touches the tunnel of the car.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

^^ could probably use a poly torque arm mount
Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I would suggest looking into replacing the flimsy/flexible and bushings are probably shot, going with a set of solid LCA's you will notice a different in how solid the rear end gets. And going with a set of Relocation Brackets will allow you to adjust the LCA parallel to the ground which will increase your traction performance and eliminate wheel hop. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...urae2evhk2jem0

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
I would suggest looking into replacing the flimsy/flexible and bushings are probably shot, going with a set of solid LCA's you will notice a different in how solid the rear end gets. And going with a set of Relocation Brackets will allow you to adjust the LCA parallel to the ground which will increase your traction performance and eliminate wheel hop. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...urae2evhk2jem0

Thanks
Brad

Thanks for the response, The car is mainly a street car, used primarily on the weekends, and not a daily drive. The car is rarely dragged, maybe a couple of times a year. More often, it is used for some spirited driving through the mountains of Vermont. Do you think that just replacing the LCA's would have a good chance of solving the wheel hop? The car is currently at stock height, and will remain that way. I am basically looking for a all around setup that is street friendly.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Launching!

i didn't want to start a new thread, but have no intentions of high-jacking yours. it sounds like your done. so my wheel hop came after lowering:

100k miles, koni 4/3's with low miles, adjustable PHR, strano springs. softest rear setting on shock.

sounds like relocations would fix mine since it was fine before lowering right? i heard it affects high speed handling, by how much? like at 100 mph aggressively? its a street car. thanks guys.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by onebadapple98
Thanks for the response, The car is mainly a street car, used primarily on the weekends, and not a daily drive. The car is rarely dragged, maybe a couple of times a year. More often, it is used for some spirited driving through the mountains of Vermont. Do you think that just replacing the LCA's would have a good chance of solving the wheel hop? The car is currently at stock height, and will remain that way. I am basically looking for a all around setup that is street friendly.
Thanks
Hello
Yes anytime you remove stamped lower control arm that I am sure that the bushings are shot. A tubular LCA will for sure solid up the rear end. Not only with the material used but also going with a poly bushing that will last longer. As long as they are properly maintained. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by onoiocoko
i didn't want to start a new thread, but have no intentions of high-jacking yours. it sounds like your done. so my wheel hop came after lowering:

100k miles, koni 4/3's with low miles, adjustable PHR, strano springs. softest rear setting on shock.

sounds like relocations would fix mine since it was fine before lowering right? i heard it affects high speed handling, by how much? like at 100 mph aggressively? its a street car. thanks guys.
Yes they will allow you to readjust the LCA back to the correct angle. Actually pushing the rear end into the ground. And they will gain back all of you traction that was lost due to lowering and increase your traction performance. The only time that they will effect your driving is they will make the car over steer at a higher rate of speed when you are trying to carve corners.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I just installed UMI LCA relocation brackets yesterday. Along with a poly torque arm mount. I can definitely tell a difference in traction on my lowered car. When you hit 2nd it doesnt slide and spin forever, it chirps and goes
Old 05-21-2010, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I just installed UMI LCA relocation brackets yesterday. Along with a poly torque arm mount. I can definitely tell a difference in traction on my lowered car. When you hit 2nd it doesnt slide and spin forever, it chirps and goes
Great to Hear! And thanks again for choosing UMI Performance.
Brad

Quick Reply: Wheel hop after mods