Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C-5 Brake conversion question.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C-5 Brake conversion question.....

I have a 2000 firehawk and I have aquired a complete set of C-5 brake calipers / rotors. The only thing I am missing is the caliper mounting bracket. Will the mounting brackets on my f-body work with the C-5 calipers?

The C-5 brakes have a 13" rotor and I do have the nessessary hardware to install them, just missing the mounting brackets. What should I do with the brake lines? What should I get for that replacement..... Any recomendations??

Last edited by 00firehawk; 05-19-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

You will need adapter brackets to adapt the C5 set up to your F-Body, unless you already have these brackets? Here is what I am referring to- www.umiperformance.com/2120

Take a look and let me know of any questions regarding the conversion, I will be glad to help!

Ryan
Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If those c5 brakes really do have a 14" rotor, you'll need 18" wheels.. perhaps you meant 13"?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Yes, I already have the conversion brackets...... my largest concern is that I do not have the caliper mounting brackets for the C-5 calipers and woudering if the LS1 mounting brackets will work with the C-5 calipers or do I need to buy mounting brackets?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

My bad.... it is 13" rotors...lol, damn typo's!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are 2 sets of adapter brackets.. those designed for the C5 PAB, and those designed for a LS1 PAB. The difference is in the bolt diameter connecting the PAB to the bracket. LS1 uses 12mm, and C5 uses a 14mm. Be sure and verify what you've got before you pick up a set of PAB's.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Pab......?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need the Caiper brackets. In fact, you could have used your stock Camaro calipers, but need the adapters like UMI sells and the C5 brake abutment brackets. Those two items are what move the caliper out on the larger rotor.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

So I either need to get C-5 specific brackets or just use my stock calipers with the UMI kit?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

No, the C5 and LS1 Camaro calipers are the same size. You need the C5 brackets.

Don't think of the calipers as being wider or longer, its the UMI brackets and the C5 brackets that move the caliper out from the center of the rotor.

The C5 calipers actually have smaller pistons in them (but are cast better) than the Camaro
calipers.

I kept my Camaro calipers.

I used: C5 rotors, C5 caliper brackets, UMI C5 brake adapter kit, Camaro calipers.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
No, the C5 and LS1 Camaro calipers are the same size. You need the C5 brackets.

Don't think of the calipers as being wider or longer, its the UMI brackets and the C5 brackets that move the caliper out from the center of the rotor.

The C5 calipers actually have smaller pistons in them (but are cast better) than the Camaro
calipers.

I kept my Camaro calipers.

I used: C5 rotors, C5 caliper brackets, UMI C5 brake adapter kit, Camaro calipers.
Why didn't you use the stock( camaro) brackets? Is there a diffrence?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00firehawk
Why didn't you use the stock( camaro) brackets? Is there a diffrence?
I don't believe you can, they are different yes.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

First off, I want to say that I'm currently doing this C5 conversion as well. I am using LG Motorsports brackets (which do not require any cutting of the steering knuckle) with base C6 calipers. I am using base C6 calipers for aesthetic reasons only. From what I've heard, the stock camaro calipers, all C5 calipers (base and Z06), and the base C6 calipers are identical except for the C5 and C6 models being made stronger and more aesthetically pleasing.

To get around to answering your question: I know that the terminology can be confusing. I am unsure about the "caliper mounting bracket." This may be the same thing as the "PAB" (Pad Abutment Bracket), but don't quote me on that. So, in your original question, when you ask:

"Will the mounting brackets on my f-body work with the C-5 calipers?"

The answer is:

It depends on whose adapter/conversion brackets you have.

The LG Motorsports brackets (no cutting required type) are designed to work with the stock PABs only. In this case, your stock F-body PABs would work. You would also have to use stock F-body brake pads since you are using the stock PABs.

The UMI brackets (cutting required type) are designed to work with C5 PABs only. In this case, you would need to buy the C5 PABs. The benefit here is that you use C5 pads since you are using the C5 PABs. You most likely have this type since they are more common. For an example of installation instructions and a parts list required for the UMI type of bracket, see the Word document in the attachment. Note that I had to remove the pictures from the document because the file was too large. I can send you the full version w/pictures via email if you'd like. You could also email UMI.

Also in your original question, when you ask:

"What should I do with the brake lines?"

One possible thing you could do is replace the stock brake lines with braided stainless steel lines. This is what I am doing. They are supposed to be stronger which means they don't expand as much as stock rubber lines, and this leads to better braking and better pedal feel. I bought Goodridge lines from The Tire Rack, but there are many other reputable brands out there that I've heard of such as Earl's, Russell, and StopTech.

Sorry for such a long-winded answer. If you have any other questions, I can try to help, as will all the knowledgeable members. People from UMI, LG Motorsports, and Kore3 have also been very helpful to me.
Attached Files

Quick Reply: C-5 Brake conversion question.....