Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is this a dumb idea?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Is this a dumb idea?????

I have a dilemma with my springs and shocks combo and my ride hieght in the front and rear. I need new shocks because two have blown.
I have G2 Super Springs + Hals

What if I bought two NEW rear Bilstiens and sent my two front Hals out to get rebuilt and keep using them for the front.

How would that be for handling on the street. It never see's a track, just every day driving.

If interested, my dilemma is this: I must be able to crank the Hals down in the front and they can be adjusted where the Bilstiens cannot. If I put Bilstiens in the front I know my front end will pop way up high, then I'm screwed, it'll look stupid with no way to drop the front end back down.
The rears: I just put spacers on the bottom of my rear springs to raise the rear end 3/8" where I want it, so that was easy.
The front end is my dilemma.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I have a dilemma with my springs and shocks combo and my ride hieght in the front and rear. I need new shocks because two have blown.
I have G2 Super Springs + Hals

What if I bought two NEW rear Bilstiens and sent my two front Hals out to get rebuilt and keep using them for the front.

How would that be for handling on the street. It never see's a track, just every day driving.
IMO terrible. The rear will feel way more planted than the front, while the front feels like a boat, typical of drag shocks.

Take into consideration that you couldn't tell that the front shocks were blown out (assuming by the other thread you posted that the mechanic found the shocks were blown, it seems you didn't know about it before him). You couldn't tell the difference because drag shocks like those are valved to transfer weight, just like a blow out shock does...

If interested, my dilemma is this: I must be able to crank the Hals down in the front and they can be adjusted where the Bilstiens cannot. If I put Bilstiens in the front I know my front end will pop way up high, then I'm screwed, it'll look stupid with no way to drop the front end back down.
The rears: I just put spacers on the bottom of my rear springs to raise the rear end 3/8" where I want it, so that was easy.
The front end is my dilemma.

Post pics of how the car currently sits.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
IMO terrible. The rear will feel way more planted than the front, while the front feels like a boat, typical of drag shocks.
When the Hals are selected to like #8 on the 12-way adjustable valve the front end is like a rock, hardly bounces at all while driving. Set to like #3-#4 it will then bounce up and down on bumps.

Post pics of how the car currently sits.
Pics below..

What should I do to keep this ride hieght but have good handling. And I'll tell ya the truth, I really don't know any better....but I have always thought my car handles great. A ton better than stock...and thats all I really need. Just a street car.

Attached Thumbnails Is this a dumb idea?????-dsc02107.1.jpg   Is this a dumb idea?????-dsc02108.1.jpg   Is this a dumb idea?????-dsc02110.1.jpg   Is this a dumb idea?????-dsc02111.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 05-21-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I'll tell ya the truth, I really don't know any better....but I have always thought my car handles great. A ton better than stock...and thats all I really need. Just a street car.

If you like it why change?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Esco99
If you like it why change?
I figured since 2 of my Hals are leaking I'd get some new shocks along with my front end rebuild. Plus, I'm under the gun to get this all done by Tuesday the latest. $409.00 for a new set of Bilstiens is pretty good. But if I'm going to have a front end sticking up higher than my rear end....I can't do it. Unless there's another option someone can tell me.

And like I said, I really don't know any better. So if spending a little more money will get me ALOT better handling than my Hals, thats a consideration to change as well. I just need to have the proper ride hieght in the front and rear. I want to keep these springs because the hieght is perfect for me.

Its looking like someone is going to step up and tell me I can't change shocks without changing my springs too....to keep the ride hieght I have now.....that would put it all to rest.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a dumb idea?????
Yes.

So if spending a little more money will get me ALOT better handling than my Hals, thats a consideration to change as well.
It would.

Its looking like someone is going to step up and tell me I can't change shocks without changing my springs too....to keep the ride hieght I have now.....that would put it all to rest.
Springs determine your ride height / support the car, not the shocks.

Different shocks + same springs = same ride height
Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

When the Hals are selected to like #8 on the 12-way adjustable valve the front end is like a rock, hardly bounces at all while driving. Set to like #3-#4 it will then bounce up and down on bumps.
And this is very typical of a drag shock. They go from buick bouncy to overly rock hard and still don't provide good dampening and control. Your car shouldn't bounce at all, and shouldn't be rock hard...
Probably never really feels planted or connected to the road right?

Pics below..

What should I do to keep this ride hieght but have good handling. And I'll tell ya the truth, I really don't know any better....but I have always thought my car handles great. A ton better than stock...and thats all I really need. Just a street car.

Thats what I was afraid of, that car is pretty slammed. You need suspension travel for good handling otherwise you are literally using your bump stops as your springs (and this is way overly rough, and unpredictable handling, very skiddish).
You can get adjustable height in the front with a ground control setup and I would pair that with konis or you could spend high dollars on a custom valved shock like a penske or race bilstien. I would also combine that with the "upper mount mod" (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ock-mount.html)

An easier way out could be going with the proven "off the shelf" combo of the koni/strano springs/bars. Its higher than your car but still plenty low IMO and best of all is its a proven setup (national auto-x champions)

Old 05-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

And this is very typical of a drag shock. They go from buick bouncy to overly rock hard and still don't provide good dampening and control. Your car shouldn't bounce at all, and shouldn't be rock hard...
Probably never really feels planted or connected to the road right?

Thats what I was afraid of, that car is pretty slammed. You need suspension travel for good handling otherwise you are literally using your bump stops as your springs (and this is way overly rough, and unpredictable handling, very skiddish).
You can get adjustable height in the front with a ground control setup and I would pair that with konis or you could spend high dollars on a custom valved shock like a penske or race bilstien. I would also combine that with the "upper mount mod" (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ock-mount.html)

An easier way out could be going with the proven "off the shelf" combo of the koni/strano springs/bars. Its higher than your car but still plenty low IMO and best of all is its a proven setup (national auto-x champions)
Interesting......so what model numbers is this combo you're talking about, let me price check it all out. And what do you mean by "bars"?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Yes.

Springs determine your ride height / support the car, not the shocks.

Different shocks + same springs = same ride height
I hear ya, It just sucks the G2 springs I have pop up a bit high in the front. I guess I'll have to let them rise up and then if I need to raise the rear with spacers I will, because I have to get better shocks (Bilstiens) then the Hals.
I was just ill advised back in 2002 by a bunch of people when I asked which shocks to get for street driving....I don't understand why so many people on here and elsewhere told me to get the Hals.....oh well....

I'm sure it'll be a whole new world for me as far as handling goes with the Bilstiens, even if my car sits a little higher.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting......so what model numbers is this combo you're talking about, let me price check it all out. And what do you mean by "bars"?

Sorry, I mean swaybars.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7

I hear ya, It just sucks the G2 springs I have pop up a bit high in the front. I guess I'll have to let them rise up and then if I need to raise the rear with spacers I will, because I have to get better shocks (Bilstiens) then the Hals.
I was just ill advised back in 2002 by a bunch of people when I asked which shocks to get for street driving....I don't understand why so many people on here and elsewhere told me to get the Hals.....oh well....

I'm sure it'll be a whole new world for me as far as handling goes with the Bilstiens, even if my car sits a little higher.

A lot of people automatically associate "coil overs" with good handling. Unfortunately that's not true, especially with our cars. It seems that HALs/QA1s got pretty popular with older muscle cars, which of course just about anything would be an improvement over their 1960s suspension.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=JD_AMG;13370014]Sorry, I mean swaybars.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7[QUOTE]

That would be awesome to get, but I really don't want to spend that much right now. Being that its just a daily driver.

I've been looking around, are the Hals the only shocks made with adjustable ride hieght?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

I would get these springs.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7

And these Bilsteins...
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

And you will be covered for your springs and shocks. You can add new sway bars when time and money permit.
It would address your ride height issue, and your need for a good handling car, and is all for less than $700. You could actually then sell your other shocks to either pay for some new sway bars or to pay for part of the new set up.
Either way, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a nice handling car. You just need to pick the right parts.

You should just forget about the need for an adjustable ride height. Unless you are doing all kinds of racing, you don't really need it. If you get the right springs, the ride height issue goes away.
At least that's my opinion anyways. But you know what they say, "Opinions are like ********. Everybody's got one."
Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

That would be awesome to get, but I really don't want to spend that much right now. Being that its just a daily driver.
Sorry but I have to stop and question you for a second here. Does your daily driver need 500RWHP? Compare the huge money spent to build up your drive train which you only "need" for WOT runs, to the small amount of money spent on suspension which is in use any time the car is moving, it doesn't matter if your going 10mph or 100mph.
Regardless you can skip the swaybars if you want to save some money and still get the lowering springs and shocks.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Me personally I would rather have a car that can accelerate fast and be pinned down to the road at those speeds than a car that gets to those speeds but feels like its going to float away...

I've been looking around, are the Hals the only shocks made with adjustable ride hieght?
No certainly not.
Edlebrock makes a coil over, as does KW. (http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...=148&ModelID=7) There are also custom valved Penske shocks, and race bilstiens. There is also the option that I said earlier with a ground control setup.
And then the various drag shocks like QA1s, Strange, Afco which will leave you with the performance that your current shocks have.
No matter what you go with that drop you have now just seems too low for decent handling. (check how close you are to your bump stops...)
Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

The bilsteins will be a nice improvement over the Hals/QA1's. I tried several times to make them work really good for ride/handling. I first tried SA's, and then tried some DA's to no luck; I was never was able to get the Hals/QA1's adjusted just right.
Ir you must have your current front ride height then either get a GroundControl ride height adjustable kit or get get a set of Edelbrock front IAS shocks/springs combo, and do the U.M.M. to maintain the ride and suspension travel.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

Sorry but I have to stop and question you for a second here. Does your daily driver need 500RWHP? Compare the huge money spent to build up your drive train which you only "need" for WOT runs, to the small amount of money spent on suspension which is in use any time the car is moving,
Good question........

Well, I put my car into the body shop today. I had 3 separate claims all at once, so I have to pay $250 deductable x 3 = $750. But that includes a new front bumper and a complete new paint job from a very good painter.

I have to rebuild my front end, 12-year old bushings are finally trashed. Last week when I had my new tires put on the guy said he couldn't even start to align the front end they are so bad. He's the one who found my two blown Hal shocks. So with parts and labor thats gonna be $1,000.

Bought a few trim pieces that were faded like crazy and new DRL housings, $300.00.

Just put 4 new tires on too, last week. 275's and 315's.

12-year old tint has to be redone as soon as I get the car back because its friggin HOT *** ***** here. $180

So....things are just getting up there. Not to mention I'm SUPPOSED to have my builder start on my new engine in a couple months and thats gonna cost some big dollars. 441ci.
Might have to delay this a little bit now.........

I think I'm gonna go for the Bilstiens along with my G2 springs for $410.00. If my front end is left a little higher, I can always put a couple more spacers under my rear springs and lift it about 3/4".
If I have the Hals rebuilt, all 4 of them, what could I sell them for? Might as well.

oh...I need a damn driver side window motor too....lol

Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The G2's are a nice spring but with a 2.0" drop they are LOW!!! IMO konis are your best bet. At that height even the Bilsteins will fail eventually and the Konis have a lifetime warranty..... they will not disappoint and your handling will improve too...
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
The G2's are a nice spring but with a 2.0" drop they are LOW!!! IMO konis are your best bet. At that height even the Bilsteins will fail eventually and the Konis have a lifetime warranty..... they will not disappoint and your handling will improve too...
What do you mean they'll fail? Are lowered springs hard on shocks compared to stock hieght springs?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

How much does it cost to have HAL's rebuilt? Is the difference in money worth it?

You want handling? Get some Konis
Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Launching!

lowering springs are definitely harder on shocks
Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anytime you're running shocks at/close to the limits of there travel they'll wear faster.

Quick Reply: Is this a dumb idea?????