Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein HD or SLP Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HD or SLP Bilsteins?

So i'm going to go with a set of bilsteins for my car, but i cant decide on which package. I'm going with bilsteins so later on down the line i can custom rebuild/revalve them how i want. Koni somewhat frowns upon that unless you have them do it...

Which will be the better set for now? I know the HD's you need to reuse the spring perch, isolator and dust boot (or buy new ones), but what about the SLPs? do they come with those parts?

they are going to be paired with strano springs and a slew of tubular suspension parts as I go along

also, where to get new spring perchs, isolators, and dust boots? GM or does moog or someone else make them as well?

Thanks fellas
Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Launching!

I have the slp bilstiens with stranos on my 98z right now. Had them on for a month. You will have to reuse your current items or find some ones. I cut the dust boots off in order to get the upper perch out. My front shocks were in terrible shape. The hd's aren't really a good choice. I got the slp's because I couldn't front the 750 at the time justfor shocks. They could be a little stiffer but overall. Not a bad ride though.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SLP bilsteins. But I used a coil over kit for my perches. If i remember right the SLP bilsteins come with bump stops and some misc. hardware. If you use springs you can knock the stock perches off the factory shocks. If your car isn't too corroded just a rubber mallet or block of wood would probably be enough to knock the perch loose.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with Nite Hawk about the SLP valving with SLP Eibachs - a vast improvement over stock with an excellent ride to boot, but maybe they could have been more firm ie control the cars weight a little better. I just switched to Koni 4/4 and notice less body pitch over deep/large dips (at speed!), more control overall with an excellent ride. These are just the preliminary settings that Sam suggested and the car feels more buttoned down. Wish I had saved up for the right stuff (for me!) instead of buying two sets of shocks! Oh well, nobody said it was a cheap hobby!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I have SLP's in stock, and some Koni 4/4's in stock too. As for the SLP vs. HD thing.... Pretty much the same things these days, and they come out of the box needing the same parts.

If you opt Bilstein....I'm recommending SLP's over HD's because I have stock on them, and on the customer side of things @ $409.99/set they are cheaper than HD's are.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Well, ordered a set of the SLP bilsteins, a set of the strano springs, and a pair if the UMI 35/22mm sway bars.

I know Sam's on vacation, so I'll have to wait.

In queue now are adj LCAs, relocation mounts, torque arm + relocation mount, subframe connectors.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HDs have a lifetime warranty, the SLP ones only 1 year...
Old 06-04-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Maybe you should explain WHY, not just make a statement of opinion.

Originally Posted by Nite_Hawk
The hd's aren't really a good choice.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Yeah, but I'm going to have them custom rebuilt down the line anyways, so in the end, it doesn't make too much of a difference for me anyways.

Just whatever was better out of the box was my concern, and Sam seemed to lean on the side of SLP, cause they are cheaper. Which works for me.

I also thought his statement on the HDs was vague as well, haha.

Thanks for the info though, appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

So with either Bilstein's we have to take our stock shocks apart to get the dust boot and whatever other pieces are needed?

Does someone have a complete list of things that they need taken from the stock shocks?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

DMS Lower Springs on KJoni Signle Adjustable setup

Works nice for me
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Supposedly Bilsteins are no good with lowering springs I have been told by those more knowledgeable -- i.e. they don't last as long w/lowering springs...

Originally Posted by Lime
Yeah, but I'm going to have them custom rebuilt down the line anyways, so in the end, it doesn't make too much of a difference for me anyways.

Just whatever was better out of the box was my concern, and Sam seemed to lean on the side of SLP, cause they are cheaper. Which works for me.

I also thought his statement on the HDs was vague as well, haha.

Thanks for the info though, appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Seems silly, why not just make an all-in-one kit.

Originally Posted by Striker
So with either Bilstein's we have to take our stock shocks apart to get the dust boot and whatever other pieces are needed?

Does someone have a complete list of things that they need taken from the stock shocks?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Supposedly Bilsteins are no good with lowering springs I have been told by those more knowledgeable -- i.e. they don't last as long w/lowering springs...
Like I said, I'm having themcustom rebuilt down the line... that alone is worth the need to be replaced more often. I can buy the set and rebuild them for less than a set of konis... and get the rebuildable factor that koni doesn't have.

But hey, that's me.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

No wonder the bilstein's are cheap if you have to re-use so much of your oem pieces.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Maybe you should explain WHY, not just make a statement of opinion.
From reading over and over on here and numerouse sites. The slp's are the lesser of two evils when it comes to bilstiens. The slp's are already valves somewhat for lowering. I don't have a exact answer but came to my reasoning from advice of others.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmm, not convinced.

Originally Posted by Nite_Hawk
From reading over and over on here and numerouse sites. The slp's are the lesser of two evils when it comes to bilstiens. The slp's are already valves somewhat for lowering. I don't have a exact answer but came to my reasoning from advice of others.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a set of the SLPs, I thought they were lifetime warranty
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm, not convinced.
Unfortunately, shock valving specifications are one of those things that are just hidden to us all. It would be nice if there was some sort of unit of measurement that companies could advertise kind of like how springrates are posted (though not all the time). So you kind of have to go and do your homework. Nite hawk may not have proof, but he's sharing his opinon.. which I do often too.

I agree with you though.. there is a lot of recommendations without any support around here... and some are pretty cocky about it
Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Launching!

I have had Koni's in the past on my 97 T/A, and wish i could of got them for the current ride (98 camaro). But, at my budget of $700 for shocks/springs together, i was limited. I wasn't going for kyb's, or tokico shocks. Bilstiens were the best options at the time. When tax season comes next year, i'll be stepping up to some koni's. They offer a good ride, not quite as firm as the koni's but are great for here in Vegas, no real bad roads out here.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD or SLP Bilsteins?