Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Re-painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re-painting calipers

Ok, so I have a set of Brembo 4 pistons from a 996 turbo porsche that are about to be on the front of my Z28. I have a stupid question, does the paint (or powdercoat, not sure which) that is on these need to be completely stripped or can it just be sanded a bit and painted over? They have a good coat on them, but they are red and I absolutely hate red calipers! Plus they say porsche, and I plan on putting the camaro decals on after painting like what is on my stock calipers. Also, will engine paint work? I can't find the color I want in caliper paint (silver), and the duplicolor engine enamel is rated at the same temp as the caliper paint. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would bet from Porsche they are powdercoated. It will be tough to get all the red off by sanding. Maybe take them apart and do some sort of chemical stripping?? The engine paint should be fine. The biggest problem with paint sticking is the prep work. Take your time and prep them correctly and you not have any problems. Be sure to clear them also. Mine are 5 years old and still look great. I clean them with soap and water with a small brush when I wash the car.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Cool, thanks for the advice! I might just take the pistons out and find a solvent or cleaner that will remove it.

Quick Reply: Re-painting calipers