Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

After market strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market strut mounts

I read about someone cutting part of there strut mount to give them more shock travel.
Is there a after market strut mount that is shorter so I wouldnt have to cut up stuff and it will give me more shock travel?
What are the benefits of buying Moog strut mounts over OEM mounts?
Formula has over 100k miles and am upgrading all the suspension I currently have sitting in my garage Stranos Springs/Swaybar, UMI phb w/rotojoints, Koni 4/4's so while Im putting the new parts on I dont want to leave something in that is perhaps worn out.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

anyone?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from Gabriel -- I had them fail multiple times just after the short warranty ended...
Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

thats good to know
Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All the mounts are the same height.

Stay away from the O'reilly house brand. They keep them in stock so they're tempting but they are CRAP.

I put moogs on my car nearly a year ago. They fit like a glove. Ordered them from Advance Auto, usually they are there the next day. And I'd plan on replacing the originals, after 100K the original shocks are probably fused to the mounts more than likely. Buy them, then if you don't need them you can always return them and better having to return than to tear it apart and realize you need new ones (like I did).
Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently installed a Strano/Koni set-up in my '96 Z-28, and decided to install new upper shock mounts parts, just for the hell of it. I work part-time for Advance Auto Parts, so I got the Monroes, since we stock them.

I have mixed feelings, I guess, as I've heard people say that the aftermarket parts are crap, and my Monroe mounts didn't line up perfectly. However, since several people had mentioned that prior to me doing my own installation, I checked mine first, then "massaged" them to fit, prior to putting them on the shock/spring assembly. What bothered me, however, was one of the threaded inserts broke loose from the mount while I was installing the bolt. Fortunately, since the bolts were new, I was able to remove it without too much drama, but I had to compress the spring again, disassemble the whole deal, and get another upper mount. This time, we didn't have any in stock, so I had to wait a couple of days, till we got another.

What confuses me, though, is that I seriously doubt that there are dozens of companies making these parts. They're not something that wears out frequently, or is common to a lot of cars. Therefore, people saying to use only a GM replacement (at 2-3 times the price) instead of an aftermarket part, has me a bit confused. I'm sure that GM has somebody making these for them, but it is the same company that makes the "others"?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure on that, but the Moog was certainly totally different than the O'Reilly crap. And the Moog looked slightly different than the OEM GM one (studs slightly taller, the nuts and bolts are a little different).
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my shocks recently, and i had a good look at the mounts. These are a low wear item since they don't use a bearing. I confidently reused the stock ones with no problem.

Rubber/steel mounts are very simple and there are many offshore aftermarket manufacturers. And since we all demand cheap parts, corner cutting is the result. Not sure which brand is doing it right these days.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

In the past I've used moog and other brands. The inserts turned, wouldn't line up etc.. I went to Napa bought a set and they looked and fit like OEM. The nut is welded in and the studs lined up. This was a few years ago, so they may have changed. They were the most expensive, but cheaper than OEM.

Quick Reply: After market strut mounts