Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 Shocks adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QA1 Shocks adjustment?

Got a steal of a deal on a set of front QA1 (12 click adjustable) shocks and springs.Researched internet with no success. My car is not a dd but is a weekend warrior. What would be a starting adjustment and what is the goal (besides weight transfer) that I should be trying to achieve with this set-up. Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Did you try searching the Suspension and Brakes category on here only (Search string: QA1)? There is a ton of info on the QA1's here. I haven't really messed with my frontends at the strip, however, I have started my rear shocks at around 4 on the passenger and 5 on the driver (to account for my fat a$$) and work from there.

I know there are some posts in this section on setting the front ones, but I haven't tried them and forgot what they said anyway...
Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by afterburner82
Did you try searching the Suspension and Brakes category on here only (Search string: QA1)? There is a ton of info on the QA1's here. I haven't really messed with my frontends at the strip, however, I have started my rear shocks at around 4 on the passenger and 5 on the driver (to account for my fat a$$) and work from there.

I know there are some posts in this section on setting the front ones, but I haven't tried them and forgot what they said anyway...
Thanks for the info. I'll check into that thread right now.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run my fronts at the track at the #1 setting.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula/LS1
Thanks for the info. I'll check into that thread right now.
Tried to find (thread search QA1) as recommended but couldn't find any info. I did read 2 other threads with members trying to find info on front QA1 shock adjustments with no response to 1 and info to rear shocks only on the other. So.... it puts me back to my original question. ANYONE ????
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by omcar
I run my fronts at the track at the #1 setting.
Thanks .... Really appreciate the info.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Just installed shocks yesterday and when I put the car back down on the ground the tires were just about touching the fenders. The springs are QA1OED 315-S. I took a measurement before I started, from floor to the top fender well was 271/8". Now it's 24/7/8". Do I have a problem or will these shocks and springs adjust enough to put the car back to the original setting? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I usually run the fronts on 1 or 2 at the track - do not run at 0 as it will cause them to fail eventually. 1 tends to be a bit bouncy on the Fs which are a 50/50 shock, ie they tranfer well at launch, but then the front end is a bit loose when it comes down and on the 1-2 shift. Not enough to unsettle the rear or anything, at least on my car.

Usually I set the rears around 5 or 6, but its going to vary based on track conditions and how well your car hooks. The stiffer the rear, the harder it will hit the tires with less squat so if the track hooks well, you can run them a bit stiff. If you're not hooking, run them a bit looser, you'll get a bit more squat and a bit more hook. Squat is somewhat wasted motion, so you want a happy medium of weight transfer with a little squat.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to adjust the height of the springs by turning the collar with a spanner wrench.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Turned out to be an exercise in futility. I adjusted the springs to about 2" left on the shock threads and just barely got the fenders off the tires. Ended up taking the QA1's off and putting the original shocks back. I do appreciate everyone's help. Still not sure what the problem was. Spring weight or length not enough ?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

I cant remember for sure (have had too damn many of these cars!) but I think that car is lowered from stock height, that could be your issue, non stock springs...............

not 100% on it though
Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98LS1Formula
I cant remember for sure (have had too damn many of these cars!) but I think that car is lowered from stock height, that could be your issue, non stock springs...............

not 100% on it though
Thanks Tim. Got the shocks from Lee. No problem though. Lee told me if there was an issue with them he would take them back. I'm really not sure WHAT and IF they would've done anything for me anyway. Only thing I'm out is time.

Quick Reply: QA1 Shocks adjustment?