Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

proper swaybar endlink length??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default proper swaybar endlink length??

Does anyone have any advise on the proper swaybar endlink length for my ride? The car is a 2002 trans am with 1LE suspension option (firehawk). I replaced the front and rear 1LE springs with a set from Sam Strano. the car sits quite a bit lower now, Im still using the original 1LE sway bars front and rear. Since the rear axle (and sway bar) is now around 1.2"-1.5" closer to the frame (car frame is now lower in relation to the axle.)
Common sense tells you that if the sway bar endlink geometry was correct before swapping springs then the geometry is no longer correct. Any info is appreciated. There is very little info mentioned about this in the past.

If the (rear)frame now sits 1.5 inches lower compared to the axle, shouldn't the endlinks need to be shorter also to maintain the bars same geometry??

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have never heard of anyone using different length end links.......seems some experimentation is in order???
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

some people do it, I don't have any problems so I'm just leaving mine alone
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

the rear end links that come with prothane's sway bar kit are 3.5" (or 1 7/8" using the energy suspension method which is the length of the spacer, prothane measures from sway bar to control arm). My car is lowered about an inch and I noticed my rear sway bar end link mount and body mount were not perfectly parallel. I decided to buy a set of 1 5/8" energy endlinks, I will be installing them this weekend so I will let you know, if it doesn't make them parallel, at least it will be closer than it was.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ideally, the "arms" of the swaybar should be fairly close to being parallel to the ground. In your case, that would indeed mean a shorter link would be needed. The only problem is sometimes on the front sway bars the holes in the end of the bar, where the links attach to, aren't directly above the corresponding holes in the lower a-arm. This means that the links tip a little inward, and when you install shorter links, this angle can get a little extreme.

Quick Reply: proper swaybar endlink length??