Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Two questions, I need your help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Two questions, I need your help....

Hey guys im sure this first question has been asked before but I wasnt sure how to search it.

1. When I brake the front end and steering wheel shimmies real bad, but then when I brake harder it seems to push through it and steadies up. Im assuming my pads arent set in correctly or something like that. Any thoughts???

2. My car is lowered im pretty sure, I havent had it long enough to get under and look but it deffinatly sits lower. Only problem is both of my front wheels lean in at the top noticably. I know you can make minor adj. though adj. CC plates but it is pretty severe. The top is probably an inch in over the bottom. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it??

Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettM
Hey guys im sure this first question has been asked before but I wasnt sure how to search it.

1. When I brake the front end and steering wheel shimmies real bad, but then when I brake harder it seems to push through it and steadies up. Im assuming my pads arent set in correctly or something like that. Any thoughts???

2. My car is lowered im pretty sure, I havent had it long enough to get under and look but it deffinatly sits lower. Only problem is both of my front wheels lean in at the top noticably. I know you can make minor adj. though adj. CC plates but it is pretty severe. The top is probably an inch in over the bottom. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it??

Thanks guys!
1. I would say warped rotors.

2. IDK about this one. I would say more expierence is needed. I would have to look at it. Can you post some pics?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. ^ agree warped rotors
2. Mine is lowered and i have a slight bit of camber but its hardly noticeable, if you have as much camber as you say you do something isnt right or who ever had the car before you replaced stuff in the front suspension to do that
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

1. well thats not that big of a deal im going back with some slotted rotors pretty quick anyways.

2. I dont have any pics as of right now but I will see if i can get some today and get them posted. I dont know if this might lend to any thoughts but before I get it it spent a good bit of time on the track. I dont know if anything might have been done in that respect that might lend to whats happening
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

# 2, you may need some lower control arm repositioning brackets to help fix the angle.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
# 2, you may need some lower control arm repositioning brackets to help fix the angle.
Forgive my ignorance but how would that help the position of my front tires?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, an upper control arm fix to adjust camber is usually needed for lowered cars. .

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=96&ModelID=7

Last edited by 99SSJarhead; 06-08-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

ahhh ok. well anyways here are just a couple of pics I took earlier. You cant tell much but maybe it will give you an idea.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
When it the last time the vehicle has been aligned? I would suggest taking it to a alignment shop and have them check it out. If the K Member is stock there is some adjustment there to pull the lower in. But if there isn't enough adjustment you might need to look into a set of adjustable upper front A arms to allow you to adjust the tire back to correct position. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You may have to replace your lower a-arm bushings. I had the same symptoms you did and thought it was the brakes. Replaced the pads/rotors and it was still there. Replaced all the bushings (upper and lower, but the lowers were in real bad shape), and the problem finally went away.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chk the alignment before going off the deep end.
My car is lowered 1 3/4 around and I was able to set the camber and caster within OE spects still useing stock upper and lower control arms.
possible the camber was set - to try to gain stablity, if still have brake problems after correcting align THEN machine or replace rotors.
Johnny
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. I'm going to have an alignment done first,and while it's on the rack I will get under there and take a look at the bushings to see how the look. Then if it still isn't fixed I will look into replacing my a-arms.

Quick Reply: Two questions, I need your help....