Ball Joint Replacement "How To"?!? - LS1TECH



Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

     
Old 04-25-2016, 06:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
 
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Ball Joint Replacement "How To"?!?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
firebirdman469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lansing, Mi.
Posts: 444
Question Ball Joint Replacement "How To"?!?

I need to replace my upper and lower ball joints and have never done it myself. Are there any "how to" articles with pictures out there that could help me out?

Thanks!!

James
firebirdman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (1)
 
UMI Sales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,433
Default

Hello
What you do with the top Ball Joint is drill the rivets and replace them with bolts and screws. And then the lower Ball Joints will have to be pressed out and pressed back in. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
UMI Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
firebirdman469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lansing, Mi.
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
Hello
What you do with the top Ball Joint is drill the rivets and replace them with bolts and screws. And then the lower Ball Joints will have to be pressed out and pressed back in. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Thanks or the input Brad. Are the lowers or uppers the worst? I am going to try and get it done over an entire weekend by myself...Can it be done?
firebirdman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Staging Lane
iTrader: (15)
 
bigbirddriver94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 67
Default

if i were you i would remove my lower a arm and bring it in to a shop with a hydraulic press and have them press out/in the new ball joint rather than attemp to yourself. as for the uppers. the uppers you should be able to do yourself. i know spohn makes nice upper ball joints
bigbirddriver94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
firebirdman469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lansing, Mi.
Posts: 444
Default

How long does it typically take to do one lower ball joint? One upper ball joint?

The reason I ask, is because I am tackling this project this weekend, but I need my car on the road by Monday...
firebirdman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 2,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdman469 View Post
The reason I ask, is because I am tackling this project this weekend, but I need my car on the road by Monday...
The very first thing you need to do with your car when you finish doing the ball joints is get it to the alignment shop.
Someone with experience would have all 4 done in 1/2 day.
fleetmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
SparkyJJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,050
Default

Uppers are super easy. Remove spindle from the joint, chop off the rivets holding it on, bolt new ball joint in place, attach spindle, grease. Done.

Lowers are pressed, as mentioned, so those would suck to try and do yourself. I know someone had frozen his lower joint and heated the lower A arm real hot with a torch, and the joint basically just dropped in with some minor tapping into place. Not sure if I'd attempt such a thing on a tight schedule however.
SparkyJJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
firebirdman469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lansing, Mi.
Posts: 444
Default

I just took off everything in the way of getting to the ball joint. How do you tell if a ball joint is bad? It seems to move very freely, and the rubber looks to be in great shape...

The reason I am doing this is to get rid of a front end creak. When my tires are on the ground, and I turn them, it sounds like an old door creaking. I took it to a local repair shop, the guy looked under the car while I turned the wheel, and he immediately said ball joints...Could he be wrong?
firebirdman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
On The Tree
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ferndale, Mi
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdman469 View Post
I just took off everything in the way of getting to the ball joint. How do you tell if a ball joint is bad? It seems to move very freely, and the rubber looks to be in great shape...

The reason I am doing this is to get rid of a front end creak. When my tires are on the ground, and I turn them, it sounds like an old door creaking. I took it to a local repair shop, the guy looked under the car while I turned the wheel, and he immediately said ball joints...Could he be wrong?
You can tell they're bad by doing what he did, listen to them as the wheels are being turned. They should be completely silent without any metal on metal contact, creaking, etc. My brand new Moog joints are very stiff to move with my hands while unbolted from the arms. No strange noises come out of them. If anything, you head a little bit of grease moving around in them.

If yours move very freely, they're definitely worn out. The rubber is just a protective cover to keep the grease in them.
Emulsifide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
firebirdman469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lansing, Mi.
Posts: 444
Default

Do you think it could be my rack and pinion? I have heard of similar issues with them...
firebirdman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
Teching In
iTrader: (6)
 
nj85z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vernon, NJ
Posts: 35
Default

I bought a simple ball joint press off of Amazon a few years ago and do my own. I think it cost around 75 bucks and also does a million other things as you can imagine. I plan on doing universal joints with it tomorrow. I think you can rent this tool from your local parts house for the day, and it shouldnt take you that long to do.
nj85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
 
Breathing Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pocatello Idaho
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
Uppers are super easy. Remove spindle from the joint, chop off the rivets holding it on, bolt new ball joint in place, attach spindle, grease. Done.

Lowers are pressed, as mentioned, so those would suck to try and do yourself. I know someone had frozen his lower joint and heated the lower A arm real hot with a torch, and the joint basically just dropped in with some minor tapping into place. Not sure if I'd attempt such a thing on a tight schedule however.
Top is easy like he said, the bottoms however are tack welded in. Mine were anyway. I had to beat mine out. They will have to be pressed in and that is kinda more of a pain. Not hard just a pain in the ***.
Breathing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
firebirdman469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lansing, Mi.
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Fire View Post
Top is easy like he said, the bottoms however are tack welded in. Mine were anyway. I had to beat mine out. They will have to be pressed in and that is kinda more of a pain. Not hard just a pain in the ***.
I got the a arm off of the upper ball joint, but I can't get the damn thing off of the lower ball joint... Is there a trick to it? I tried spraying tons of penetrating oil in there to no avail...Any ideas? Suggestions?
firebirdman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
On The Tree
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ferndale, Mi
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdman469 View Post
I got the a arm off of the upper ball joint, but I can't get the damn thing off of the lower ball joint... Is there a trick to it? I tried spraying tons of penetrating oil in there to no avail...Any ideas? Suggestions?
Do you mean you can't get the lower ball joint out of the lower a-arm? Just remove the a-arm and take it to a shop and have them remove it with a press if you don't want to buy the press tool from your local car parts store.
Emulsifide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to..for balljoint replacement??? 1BADTALS1 Suspension & Brakes 19 05-18-2015 06:57 PM
Front Upper Ball Joints? Servicable? 87vertgt Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) 5 08-01-2012 04:19 PM
Bad ball joint? 323steel36 Suspension & Brakes 17 03-17-2012 02:04 PM
Upper Ball Joint replacement JasonVT Suspension & Brakes 13 08-27-2008 05:58 PM
Ball Joint or Tie Rod? KrychR/T Suspension & Brakes 4 04-12-2007 10:05 PM


Tags
arm, ball, camaro, chevy, joint, joints, location, lower, move, remove, replace, replacement, rivets, trans, umi

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.