Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Pads won't fit on Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads won't fit on Passenger Side

This has been a problem for me going on a year now, last year I ended up just going with a half worn brake pad and a new brake pad for fitment. I probably should of took it in and had them fixed, but I half assed it. But now I'm getting squealing everytime the wheel goes round, it nicks one of the brake pads.

Anytime I put in new brake pads, the whole wheel just locks up. My buddy suggested taking some brake fluid out then pressing back the pistons. But I don't think it's that, because when I press them back with the c-clamp they go all the way back.

I do have aftermarket rotors front and back, I thought it might be that. I put the old stock rotor back on to see if it was some fabricating issue, nope, it's not that. Because even the stock rotor locks up.

The brake pads that don't fit are Hawk ceramics, I've tried other brake pads and they have had the same problem. Can't be that either, because the Hawk brake pads fit fine on the other calipers of the car.

My guess is something is bent, the whole caliper bracket or something. Going to be taking it in today to some local shop, have them look at it I guess...

This might just give me a reason to upgrade my brakes in front to something such as Wilwood or something.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do your slider pins slide? Can you take them out and inspect?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a siezed slider pin that prevents the caliper from centering on the rotor and giving you enough clearance on both sides for new pads.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As the other guys said, sounds like your slide pins are locked up in the caliepr bracket. That will cause the pads not to fit, as well as cause uneven wear, poor braking, and overheating.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure your e-brake is off. I left mine on and took me around an hour to find out that was causing uneven pad

Quick Reply: Brake Pads won't fit on Passenger Side