Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing shocks

Finnally going to upgrade shocks from the shitty decarbons, though i've never changed shocks on any car and was wondering what to expect when installing them. My question is, is it difficult to install them? they are HD bilsteins so i won't have to worry about changing springs too. Some people told me to just get them changed at a shop, wich i considered until they quoted me $450!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't pay a shop to install them. Do it yourself by watching my install video.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...all-video.html
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Launching!

save yourself $450... its easy man. especially the back. but i recommend having someone help you.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

the rears should be quick and easy like 20 mins. however the front is a bit more involved, not only are there more bolts and the need for spring compressors, but theres more stuff thats likely to be rusted on. If you have a lot of miles on your car expect some difficulties up front:

I used PB Blaster on all my nuts and bolts up front, but the top shock nuts were still frozen and needed to be cut off, also both sway bar endlinks up front broke off. BTW easiest and safest way to deal with the upper ball joint is with a 2 jaw puller (mine were really stuck and the puller worked easily with no harm to the ball joint)
Old 06-15-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can do it yourself. TheBlueKnight has a great video.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the quick replies! yeah i will definately take the advice you guys have given me as well as the video! , and hopefully install them this friday. Now what additional mods to buy with those extra $450 ill be saving. lol
Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

It be a lot easier and faster if you get a friend to help you out. When you unbolt the shock from the top, theres a nut under the car at the top of the shock that spins whenever you twist the top bolt. Just get someone to hold it down for you. Other than that it shouldnt be difficut at all for the rears.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

The front mount can rust to the shaft, so get new mounts. With bilsteins you need to reuse the front boot/bump stops, so don't tear them up or toss 'em out. The rears are cake

Front lowering springs are a lot easier to put back on than an uncompressed stock spring. I would take the front shock and spring assemblies off the car and find a muffler and brake place to swap out the shocks. You can get it done for around $20 or $30 a side here.

BTW make sure the front nuts are torqued down or a nasty clunking sound will be heard.

Last edited by Carter Hays; 06-15-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: clunk
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

Be prepared to have some sort of power tool to cut off the top bolt on the front shocks.

After that, the install is pretty easy
Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight

I like the video, its good. But, to lead somebody to think that watching it will show them all they need to know is kinda crazy.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pjb
I like the video, its good. But, to lead somebody to think that watching it will show them all they need to know is kinda crazy.
Holy smokes, I'd never want to lead somebody to think that, thanks pjb! Let me rephrase that for anyone that may be mislead by my previous statement.

"Don't pay a shop to install them. You can use my how to video, as well as ls1howto.com to help guide you through much of the process, it won't show you all you need to know, but hey, it'll give you a leg up on the install."

I'm also going to include this exclaimer....

"TheBlueKnight is not responsible for for injury, death, or property damage caused by watching my video, some restrictions my apply. Watching this video my cause nausea, vommiting, upset stomach or diarrhea. No LS1techmembers were harmed in the making of this video."
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

One more thing i forgot to mention that may slightly change the install instructions for me from the vid, my car is a vert and i have no rear quarter panels where the speakers are, so i dont need to worry about removing them, but removing (folding) the carpet back seems to be a little tougher, is there an easier way to get to the rear mounts on a vert?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check for perforated carpet behind the rear seat. Some cars apparently have a little flap that you can open up in the carpet to get to the shocks.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Definitely do it yourself. Me and a buddy did mine and we didn't even watch the video.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you pop the spindle arm off of the upper a-arm... don't let it hit you in the face.
also, don't take any shortcuts when using a spring compressor.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

This is the first thing I've ever done on my car or any car. Went very easily. Just make sure you do both the front sides at the same time.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Red face

Thanks!

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight

Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mvaldezss
One more thing i forgot to mention that may slightly change the install instructions for me from the vid, my car is a vert and i have no rear quarter panels where the speakers are, so i dont need to worry about removing them, but removing (folding) the carpet back seems to be a little tougher, is there an easier way to get to the rear mounts on a vert?

1st remove this..

Then this....

Pull out panal from here...

Cut here...

Remove foam....

There it is...

Hold top of shock and remove nut...

Remove this nut and pull out the shock..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Finnaly got installed, not too bad (except for the FRONTS) that was a pita. Once done took the car for a test drive and everything seemed to run well, instantley noticed the difference from stock. Then however during the end of the drive i drove over a road with a **** ton of bumps and started to hear what i think was rattling, definatley wouldnt have heard this noise with the stock shocks. Other than that rattle though it seems to drive very well just occasionally makes this rattle noise when driving on rough roads. Is it me or is this normal? Oh and one more thing, when i got back from the test drive i noticed i forgot to screw in the 2 bolts on the pass side next to the strut tower bolts. fml, after i noticed this i got the two bolts and screwed them in fine. Maybe this couldve been the problem, turned out though it wasnt. any thoughts?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you got it all installed. I don't know what the rattling noise could be. I'd go back under and just double check all my work, retighten anything I could, and then go for a drive and try to pinpoint where the rattling is coming from.

Quick Reply: Installing shocks