Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel Grabbing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Grabbing

So all of a sudden my drivers front wheel is grabbing, getting stuck, slipping when I cut the wheel sharply in either direction. Someone actually watched it as I pulled forward slowly and can plainly see it get hung up and then release...seems to happen more when going slow and from time to time I can feel something when stopping.

I have checked and cant see anything wrong anywhere... open to suggestions...
Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the sliders on your calipers lubed and working freely?

Maybe a build up of brake dust around the wheel speed sensors giving a false signal and triggering the ABS?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a caliper dragging. In other words, a bad caliper. After you apply the brakes, the pistons aren't releasing, causing the wheel to lock up and skid. This will cause a steering wheel pull as well.

Jack the car up and try to turn the wheel by hand. If it won't turn or is hard to turn, you'll have to disassemble the brake yourself or have a shop do it. A dragging caliper is only caused by 2 things generally, sticking caliper pistons or a collapsed brake hose.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys thanks.... I have checked the calipers when this first started to happen and I think grabbing may be the wrong term. Its more like the tire is shifting... I am going to bring it to a shop so they can put it on a lift and see what it may be... Acts more like a loose bolt or something allowing something to move freely... Will see what happens.