Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Brake Pads for Street/Strip

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Brake Pads for Street/Strip

Im gonna be needing brakes soon and I was wondering what is the best pad for street/strip use? I want to take my car to the track more but I dont want to get the wrong pad and then after I make a couple passes it feels like i need brakes again. So whats a good pad that can withstand high speed stops all night and still perform on the street? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I like the EBC red stuff but most everyone else like hawk performance
Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The best choices are Hawk HPS, EBC Redstuff, and Hawk Ceramics.

The Redstuff and Hawk Ceramics are low dust (to keep your wheels cleaner), while the HPS are semi metallic and will dissipate heat better.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Staging Lane

I think I might try the Hawk HPS. Anybody who runs them have any comments on them?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rare99SS
Im gonna be needing brakes soon and I was wondering what is the best pad for street/strip use? I want to take my car to the track more but I dont want to get the wrong pad and then after I make a couple passes it feels like i need brakes again. So whats a good pad that can withstand high speed stops all night and still perform on the street? Thanks.
Here's a link at Tirerack that shows you all the pros and cons of just about each brand with a few exceptions. For a street/strip pad, i would go with the Hawk HPS. If you did autocrossing, then the Hawk HP plus.
But this link gives the ability to look at stopping power, noise, and dust. It all depends on what you want to accomplish and what you are willing to put up with. Its always a tradeoff, more stopping power usually means more dust and noise. For the street/strip, the Hawk HPS are a good balance.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/categ...?category=Pads
Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

K thanks I think im set on the HPS's
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheres the cheapest place to pick up some Hawk pads?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Wheres the cheapest place to pick up some Hawk pads?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hawk+pads+for+cheap

Try this link above.

(LMAO, couldn't help myself)
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hawk+pads+for+cheap

Try this link above.

(LMAO, couldn't help myself)
But seriously though, they are all about the same price regardless of where you go. For my car, HPS are all right around $88 for the front set, plus or minus maybe less than a dollar. That is per Summit, Jegs, Tirerack, Hawkpadsdirect, and a couple others. I've found them for 86 on one site, but the shipping date is sketchy (said possibly in 3-5 days).
You also gotta remember, Hawk limits the amount of discount their vendors can give on their product so most places are going to be at the lowest price Hawk will allow already. If anything, a lot of other places will charge more than the minimum Hawk allows. Its Hawks' product branding strategy and keeps the Hawk brand as a premium brand versus just another discounted brand. It's all about marketing and maintaining brand image.
Anyways, I like Summit or Tire rack. Summit is great cause they ALWAYS ship the same day if the item is in stock, (and it usually is)and depending on where you live, everything arrives in like 1-2 days. Most of the time, If I order today, I get it tomorrow. Plus they always include some cool stuff like stickers in the box. That's just my preference since I know if I ever had a problem with anything I bought from them, Summit is going to take things back easy and has a no-hassle return policy. Pretty much the same deal with Tire Rack. That ease of returns to me is worth an extra buck or two in case I ever need it. Anyways, that's just my two cents.
And I was just messing with you on the link above. Hope no offense was taken. (I've loved that site from the first time I saw it LMAO) Good luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i noticed there arent a lot of vendors and there all pretty much the same price. No offense taken i was just being lazy and hopeful thinking someone might chime in with a pair NIB for cheap.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I have HPS car sets for $159.99 shipped.... And I always have them in stock.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ I forgot bout you, Thank You!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my HPSs from Sam, along with the ATE Premium 1 rotors, and LOVE them!!! The car stops great now!! I dont road course the car or anything, but they are great on the street.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

I have the HPS pads, and they grip really well. They do dust a lot though - but the dust is easy to wash off (the dust does not bake on)
Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Just got my HPS Pads in the mail. I'll put them on next week sometime.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed Hawk HPS, Techni-fit lines from Strano, and Powerstop rotors. There is a HUGE difference from stock.

Only downside is that they dust a good bit more than what im used to. Not a big deal though, I wash it regularly.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed hawks ceramic pads around a month ago, and im really happy with them. They havent made any noise since, and car stops decently. I also had my rotors resurfaced, so i cant really tell the difference of before and after installing the pads.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

I just installed hawk hps pads only the fronts and i grabbed them for a lucky 33 bucks new at a local parts store that seems to have them cheap but hard to find... had to brag about the deal im verry pleased with there performance so far they can handle higher speed braking compared to the pads it had before and they just all out perform great and i have to add i also had my rotors resurfaced and left brand new i went that route insted of getting lower quality ebay rotors and so far works flawless
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I installed hawks ceramic pads around a month ago, and im really happy with them. They havent made any noise since, and car stops decently. I also had my rotors resurfaced, so i cant really tell the difference of before and after installing the pads.
Hows the brake dust?? Better than the stock pads?? Thats the main attraction of ceramics, the "low dust" benefit.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

braked for 130 no brake fade, dose dust a bit, but worth it for fade free braking.

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads for Street/Strip