Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut-Tower Brace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey:

Basically, the main thing it real world helps is getting rid of squeaks and flex in the front. You can see this on road race cars when they transition in sweepers to tight corners to straights.
Consider for a moment that the sheet metal you are describing as "flexing" is paper thin and largley unsupported for weight reduction. Hardly an apples to apples comparison.

A popcorn fart will dent it.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

keep in mind that although the STB may or may not provide much (if any) actual handling performance, it should at the very least help keep the bottom-rear portion of the front fenders (the part in between the front wheels and the start of the doors) from popping out over time and keep them properly aligned. that alone is worth the price of the bar, IMO.....especially if you drive on really bumpy roads a lot.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
keep in mind that although the STB may or may not provide much (if any) actual handling performance, it should at the very least help keep the bottom-rear portion of the front fenders (the part in between the front wheels and the start of the doors) from popping out over time and keep them properly aligned. that alone is worth the price of the bar, IMO.....especially if you drive on really bumpy roads a lot.
Actually, the only time I've seen that phenomenon is when the car is improperly lifted.

Lift arms align perfectly with the lower fender mounts and bend them flat, causing the lower section of the fender to bow out.

If yours is like that, check the lower fender attachment points. I bet they are bent flat with the bottom of the car. You'll see the bolt heads against the floor pan and the ends of bolts hanging straight down.

The solution is pound them back vertical and the bow should disappear.

I just took a picture of the Camaro currently on my lift and you can clearly see that if the arm is placed too far forward, it will contact and bend that mounting tab.

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/FCarJackPointPF.jpg

It's a common issue when tires are being replaced.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
Oh really. You sure? lol
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just added a STB bar today, and the turns feel a little tighter. Or maybe its just me
Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put mine on last week. Can tell it stiffened up the chassis though b/c it vibrates the steering wheel more from my wheels/tires not being balanced. Its more pronounced than before, unfortunetly its a bad thing on my end.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, I bought one of these yesterday only b/c it was new for $50 shipped.

It's powdercoated red, and I imagine aesthetics will be the only thing it'll have to offer lol...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put mine on the other night...biggest benefit is now I have something solid to grab on to when I'm working in the back of the engine bay.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Nice commercial
Old 07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, well get those suckers BALANCED then!

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Put mine on last week. Can tell it stiffened up the chassis though b/c it vibrates the steering wheel more from my wheels/tires not being balanced. Its more pronounced than before, unfortunetly its a bad thing on my end.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Looks like this debate is STILL going on. So far, BMR is the only one to post any sort of actual number for measured deflection. Not sure how you guys did it, but why couldn't someone just make a small test rig and post some TRUE test data? It'd be simple:

All you'd need would be a "sliding" STB. One that was designed as a sort of telescoping bar. You'd mark the bar with either paint, chalk, or whatever, then go drive the damn car. You come back, open the hood, and see if there was a mark made from the bar expanding/contracting over the other side. If there is a mark then, yes, an STB will help, if no marks are seen, then there's no reason to buy one. Post the results, and the whole website profits....
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talking

The new debate is how much better the STB is when CUSTOMIZED?!

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=192

Name:  SSPX0029.jpg
Views: 5138
Size:  84.4 KB
Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
Looks like this debate is STILL going on. So far, BMR is the only one to post any sort of actual number for measured deflection. Not sure how you guys did it, but why couldn't someone just make a small test rig and post some TRUE test data? It'd be simple:

All you'd need would be a "sliding" STB. One that was designed as a sort of telescoping bar. You'd mark the bar with either paint, chalk, or whatever, then go drive the damn car. You come back, open the hood, and see if there was a mark made from the bar expanding/contracting over the other side. If there is a mark then, yes, an STB will help, if no marks are seen, then there's no reason to buy one. Post the results, and the whole website profits....
Better yet ...

http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...m/f/2991937776
Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=192

At least 10x better!

We actually just make ours bit thicker. Our builder/fab tech used to race NASCAR and says these do "somewhat" perform a function. (but I think he might means racing on streets, not straight line) I personally dont think they do too much, and I've had mine on almost a year now. But they sure do looks sweet, lol.

Actually in the case of a side front impact it might really help....

And if you were gonna get one, why not a custom one, right?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll let the mechanical engineers do the homework, but I think you just introduced a nice flex point, in something you don't want to flex...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
I'll let the mechanical engineers do the homework, but I think you just introduced a nice flex point, in something you don't want to flex...
If you were to hit from head on, maybe. The physics are from the sides and the plate and the welds (we WAY over weld this bad boy) are way stronger than the bar it is attached to...

Can't see it in the pics but we angle the plate slightly as well to add to the multi-angle strength.

All of our stuff like this is fabricated by CMJ Racing who have been doing suspension, body, etc... fabrication for race cars for years so they do not let anything dangerous come out of their shop. Most of the stuff is WAY over engineered...

Here's some pics after I powdered it...

Name:  SSPX0034.jpg
Views: 5277
Size:  108.5 KB
Name:  SSPX0036.jpg
Views: 5485
Size:  106.6 KB
Name:  SSPX0038.jpg
Views: 6138
Size:  102.7 KB
Name:  SSPX0039.jpg
Views: 5952
Size:  118.7 KB
Name:  SSPX0041.jpg
Views: 5219
Size:  112.3 KB
Name:  SSPX0044.jpg
Views: 5786
Size:  107.7 KB
Name:  SSPX0045.jpg
Views: 5599
Size:  105.5 KB
Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
If you were to hit from head on, maybe. The physics are from the sides and the plate and the welds (we WAY over weld this bad boy) are way stronger than the bar it is attached to...

Can't see it in the pics but we angle the plate slightly as well to add to the multi-angle strength.

All of our stuff like this is fabricated by CMJ Racing who have been doing suspension, body, etc... fabrication for race cars for years so they do not let anything dangerous come out of their shop. Most of the stuff is WAY over engineered...

Here's some pics after I powdered it...
Oh, I don't doubt it's safe, but when you break a complete span like that, especially with flat steel between tubes, you just introduce a bigger chance of flexing. I doubt that point in the car sees enough force to distort it any, so it's really just an academic point.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mitchntx
There it is. If we wanted to put this debate to rest, someone could do a mythbusters test. I'm pretty sure someone could come up with a test to measure how much the mounting points flex. Run a test from somewhat spirited street driving, to a track test, to a hardcore drag race setup car.

For all I know this was already done..
Old 07-30-2010, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

get one! they definitely make a difference when doing hard cornering at speed. If your drag racing don't think you'll need em. They prevent tower deflection -Keeps the front tires planted & tighten up the front end. Not and expensive item IMO.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Teching In

has anyone built one that triangulates the STB it to the firewall? that would make it wayy stiffer .. i know it would be difficult to do because the firewall is so far back but i am jw.

Quick Reply: Strut-Tower Brace?