Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rattle and thump comin from rear after adj.phb install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle and thump comin from rear after adj.phb install

Alright my rearend was over to the the driver side of the car about an inch so I put a double adj.pan hard on it square it up got it centered but now there's a pretty good clunking rattle from back there! I've titend as much as possible,checked for anything that could be loose and the car has stok shocks and springs with150k onem any ideas?? Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
What type of ends are on the pan hard bar? Are they poly, rod, roto? And what type of shape is the hardware in? And are the LCA's tightened as well. Sometimes if they hardware isn't torqued to spec it can work itself loose. If you can get back to me with that info and I will be more than glad to help you get this issues resolved.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-06-2010, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for replying I've been riden around with it for a while and I can't stand it any more lol the phb is one of yours it's double adj.rod ends. Now the hardware is in resent shape no rust or corrosion I tightned it down as much as possible but on the passengerside the mount won't allow me to sqeez a wrench in to really get good torqe on it I can still move the phb with my hand twist it back and forth a bit I've tried evry tool I have to tryn get in ther to tighten it but can't maybe that's were it's comin from.I have stock lcas but il check them today any ideas??
Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

And by bolt I mean the actual nut on the rod end on passinger side both mounting bolts are torqed but the phb adj.nut I can't get to and the phb does twist with a bit of force from my hand
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinkn it might be whatever caused it to move that far over with the stock suspension maybe the springs or shocks??
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

if you can twist the panhard bar the jam nuts are not tight enough, if they're not tight they will clunk. if you can't get a wrench in there while it's bolted up just drop that side out of the mount and torque it, then reinstall it. also, you said the hardware is in "recent" shape? as in you bought it used? rod ends will make noise when they wear out
Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
if you can twist the panhard bar the jam nuts are not tight enough, if they're not tight they will clunk. if you can't get a wrench in there while it's bolted up just drop that side out of the mount and torque it, then reinstall it. also, you said the hardware is in "recent" shape? as in you bought it used? rod ends will make noise when they wear out
i think he meant "decent" shape....but either way, yeah, it does sound like it's used
Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

ooo good call
Old 07-07-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

i can't fit my wrench on that side either so what i did was get the bar where i wanted it and screwed the jam nut on the passenger side finger tight and left the driver side a bit loose and i turned the bar until it tightened up against the jam nut on the passenger side then i tightened the other one... lowering that side of the bar and tightening the jam nut also sounds like a good idea
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Sorry guys I get ahead of my self sometimes and miss spell stuff the phb is brand new and the mounting bolts are still good I'm gunna pull pass.side down today and torqe it thanks for the replys il let you all know if it works!!hope so! If I had a bad shock or spring would it make that metal to metal rattle back there?? Because something caused the rear to shift a pretty good ways over.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey just a thought i have rodend stuff on my rear and i think that stuff will tend to make noise and its completly normal. i have rod end control arms and panhard and when i first put it on and drove around i was wondering why so much noise but ive got use to it now. poly/poly stuff is much quieter
Old 07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Rod ends on panhard rods are generally not noisy until they begin to wear. If the jam-nuts are loose, their is enough play in the threads to produce noise. Not only is this annoying but it will also eventually wear out the threads if the jam-nut is not tightened. Once the bar is properly adjusted just lower the end and tighten the jam-nut. At the very least this will rule out the panhard rod as the source of your noise and you can begin looking elsewhere....
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Just fixed the same issue today. Had a noise in the same area. Took it to my local Kwick Kar and they allowed meto use their pit. I grabbed the phb and shook it. It made a clunking noise going back and forth. Shot fresh grease in the bushings. Problem solved.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

seeing that you bought it new you probably should have went with the rotojoint/del-sphere version depending on what brand it is, those are much better than the rod end... i'm not sure about spohn but i know you can buy the rotojoint ends from umi and they are a direct fit for rod ends and you could probably sell the rod ends to a user on here that has worn out parts
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

I definetly will go with the roto ends but for now funds are limited so I'm just gunna do what I can to fix it for now. I diddnt have a chance to pull it down and tighten it today been getn belted with rain I have a UMI phb and it doesn't have grees fittings on it.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Man I pulled the phb down tighten evrything to spec and it still rattling back there. And when I say twist it with my hand I don't mean twist on the rod end threads I mean it moves back an forth on the swivel deals lil spacers that are in the rod ends not shure what there called but you run the bolts thruw them to mount it to the car the center of the rod end and theres nothing you can do to keep it from rockin back and fourth all I know is I'm stumped and getn frustraited any help would be awesome!! Thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hanzy98LS1
Man I pulled the phb down tighten evrything to spec and it still rattling back there. And when I say twist it with my hand I don't mean twist on the rod end threads I mean it moves back an forth on the swivel deals lil spacers that are in the rod ends not shure what there called but you run the bolts thruw them to mount it to the car the center of the rod end and theres nothing you can do to keep it from rockin back and fourth all I know is I'm stumped and getn frustraited any help would be awesome!! Thanks
So you are saying that there is play between the rod end spacer and the rod end itself? Are the rod end spacers made from aluminum or steel?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanzy98LS1
Since the factory PHB mount bolts have a taper, try putting some electrical tape around the smaller tapered part of the mount bolts, that'll get rid of the play between the bolts and the spacers.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Since the factory PHB mount bolts have a taper, try putting some electrical tape around the smaller tapered part of the mount bolts, that'll get rid of the play between the bolts and the spacers.
I may be wrong but I think he is saying there is play between the spacers and the rod ends, not the spacers and the bolts....
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
I may be wrong but I think he is saying there is play between the spacers and the rod ends, not the spacers and the bolts....
Well, if that's the case he should contact the manufacture or site sponsor he bought the PHB from.

Quick Reply: Rattle and thump comin from rear after adj.phb install