Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

my experience with roto-joints...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my experience with roto-joints...

theyre awsome.

i installed my double adjustable, double roto-joint phb bout a week ago and its really made me enjoy driving my car more. its really freed up the rear end and allowed it to articulate properly. previously when i threw the car into a corner, it just felt like the front end would rotate and the rear would just kinda stay level. now everything leans together and i can get through the twisties alot faster. on top of that, im not getting any noise and the ride is smoother if anything...just for anyone on the fence about these.

thanks UMI for a great product!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want one of these REALLY bad... My last suspension upgrades I have left are the PHB and Subframe Connectors...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mediocrels1
theyre awsome.

i installed my double adjustable, double roto-joint phb bout a week ago and its really made me enjoy driving my car more. its really freed up the rear end and allowed it to articulate properly. previously when i threw the car into a corner, it just felt like the front end would rotate and the rear would just kinda stay level. now everything leans together and i can get through the twisties alot faster. on top of that, im not getting any noise and the ride is smoother if anything...just for anyone on the fence about these.

thanks UMI for a great product!
Hello
Great to hear that you are pleased with the performance in the handling of our roto joint. And thanks for choosing UMI Performance for your suspension needs. We really appreciate it.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered your roto joints yesterday UMI, the old rod ends are rusted and dont move at all anymore.. looking forward to the roto joints!!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same here, just ordered the roto joint PHB/LCAs from strano. Can't wait to get them in.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The welded SFRs made a big difference in rigidity, turns and hooking.

I am leaning strongly towards the Watts Link, and will probably skip the Adj. PHB -- surprising more companies haven't got on the bandwagon yet... But the roto-joint looks like a good idea, and was also suggested here (The Global West Del-A-Lum), which I believe is the same thing but they are talking about uppper control arms:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part1.htm

I'm pretty thrilled that companies are still investing R&D into improvements into 4th Gens...

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I want one of these REALLY bad... My last suspension upgrades I have left are the PHB and Subframe Connectors...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 96blackz28
Just ordered your roto joints yesterday UMI, the old rod ends are rusted and dont move at all anymore.. looking forward to the roto joints!!
Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Same here, just ordered the roto joint PHB/LCAs from strano. Can't wait to get them in.
Hello
Thank you very much guys for the business with UMI Performance. Sorry to hear that your rod ends didn't hold up to the elements. But I am sure once you get the Roto Joints on you will not be disappointed in the ride quality or the performance of the vehicle. As-long as they are maintained with grease (1-2 pumps per bushing) they will last for years to come. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
The welded SFRs made a big difference in rigidity, turns and hooking.
I'm pretty thrilled that companies are still investing R&D into improvements into 4th Gens...
Hello
When you tie a uni-body vehicle together with a set of SFC's. It will improve the handling and performance of the vehicle for sure. And also eliminate any issue of body damage such as dimples on the the quarter panels and T top squeaks and leaks.

And as far as the R&D go with UMI Performance we take pride in the quality and performance that our products offer. And our #1 goal is we do value our customers safety 100% so when we offer a new product. It was tested on our own personal vehicles at the race tracks and street (every pot hole and speed bump). So if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

But the roto-joint looks like a good idea, and was also suggested here (The Global West Del-A-Lum), which I believe is the same thing but they are talking about uppper control arms:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part1.htm
Actually the Del-A-Lum bushings are different. The Roto-Joint is a rotational joint designed to move like a rod end and it moves in all directions, 28 degrees total. It uses Delrin as a race inside. The Del-A-Lum bushing is similar as in it uses Delrin inside as well, but the Del-A-Lum bushing does not allow movement from side to side, only up and down. This is why they are using the Del-A-Lum on the upper A-arms. The upper A-Arms are designed to travel up and down as the suspension moves but the A-Arm does not go side to side. The way the Del-A-Lum is designed it allows less friction up and down than what a rubber or poly bushing would allow. Installed in a rear control arm or other similar moving part the Del-A-Lum bushing would bind and offer less movement than polyurethane. The Roto-Joint allows the up and down movement and side to side travel. Both items are good items, just designed to be used in different applications.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Thank you very much guys for the business with UMI Performance. Sorry to hear that your rod ends didn't hold up to the elements. But I am sure once you get the Roto Joints on you will not be disappointed in the ride quality or the performance of the vehicle. As-long as they are maintained with grease (1-2 pumps per bushing) they will last for years to come. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Brad

How often should they be greased after the initial installation? I used to grease my poly bushings about once a month because they would get very noisy otherwise.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

subscribing...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maintained -- how often?

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
As-long as they are maintained with grease (1-2 pumps per bushing) they will last for years to come. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maintained -- how often?

if anything like my other vehicles which I maintain properly... every 2-3000 miles would be sufficient. If you wait longer you will feel it.... at least I do... but I'm waiting for a response from those in the know.

T
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
How often should they be greased after the initial installation? I used to grease my poly bushings about once a month because they would get very noisy otherwise.
Hello
Thanks for the great question. When you first install them I would suggest going with a marine based grease (to hold up to water and friction). And I would suggest 1.5-2 pumps to each grease fitting. And depending on if its a DD or only sees the street a limited amount of time. If is a DD I would suggest like mentioned above every 3,000 miles. But if it see's a limited amount of street use then every other oil change will be sufficient. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: my experience with roto-joints...