Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

irotors with heat cracks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default irotors with heat cracks.

Anyone running irotors out there. Check out these pictures of my front rotors. They are about 3 years old and have maybe 15,000 miles on them. The rear ones are fine and I left them on the car. I replaced the fronts with Baer Eradi-Speed Rotors. I didn't buy Baer before because of cost, but when you put them next to each other the Baer is by far a much better rotor.

I will replace the rears as soon as I get the extra money.
Attached Thumbnails irotors with heat cracks.-photo-3.jpg   irotors with heat cracks.-photo-4.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dbeach2001
Anyone running irotors out there. Check out these pictures of my front rotors. They are about 3 years old and have maybe 15,000 miles on them. The rear ones are fine and I left them on the car. I replaced the fronts with Baer Eradi-Speed Rotors. I didn't buy Baer before because of cost, but when you put them next to each other the Baer is by far a much better rotor.

I will replace the rears as soon as I get the extra money.
Sorry to see that happened with your rotors. That cracking is one of the reasons to avoid drilled rotors. They look cool and all, but if you do any sort of hard driving like autocross or road racing the car, I would consider non-drilled rotors. Slotted are okay, or just plain rotors are even better.
Again, sorry to see that happened. It's a pain and can get expensive pretty quick.
A lot of guys who run do road racing or Autocross swear by plain rotors, very good pads, good high temperature fluid, and some steel lines. That is more than enough for great performance and longevity of parts.
If you go and check out FRRAX.com, (F-Body Road Racing and Autocross) a lot of those guys are serious road racers and a lot of them will tell you the same thing about drilled rotors. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Cracks are normal to see in cheap cross drilled rotors after a while. I've even seen cases where the expensive cross drilled Brembo rotors have cracked
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, like was stated, cross drilled rotors have a tendency to do that. I recently pulled the drilled/slotted rotors off my car due to heat cracks. I went with the stock rotors i had laying around. On my wifes car i used ATE Premium 1 Rotors, and Hawk HPS pads from Sam Strano. They look and work GREAT!!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The little heat checks aren't a problem. The cracks emanating from the holes, are a big problem.

Next time, avoid drilled rotors altogether. I recommend the ATE's a ton and we have a special on Racing Brake rotors that put them at a very similar price---but also give you directional vaning (cooler running) on the fronts, and a more typical slot pattern vs. the ATE's elliptical pattern.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: irotors with heat cracks.