Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm for Dana 60

Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm for Dana 60

Just curious what torque arms you dana 60 guys are running? I bought a Spohn pro .. and it dosen't fit for crap. I am having to make significant modifications to the mounting bracket just to bolt it to the S60 housing.
Spohn says they have never heard of this before. Funny how I ended up with a rogue rear end.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you order the spohn arm with the dana 60 bracket.If not then you would have to modify the normal bracket.
I have bmr and had to modify the bracket. I am still having some problems. I moved the rear over with panhard and have been hammering on the tunnel . But still seem to be getting knocking on big bumps with more than one person in the car. Also seem to be getting clunking on hard braking. Wondering if front of my arm is bit too long. I am using relocation to crossmember torque arm style.

I had spohn tunnel mount with my stock rearend but it was hitting everything no ground clearance so sold it.

I run a spohn on my 96z28 and its quiet ,fits perfect no problems at all but that is stock rear end.

So once again did spohn send you the specific dana 60 bracket they list on their website?
Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All our torque arms will bolt up to the S60 with no issues, I assumed the Spohn would as well. I run our tunnel mounted style on my S60 and it works well. Do you have any pictures of what is going on? Is it that the bracket won't slide over due to powder coat build up?

If you can post some pictures we may be able to help.

Ryan
Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

My UMI tq arm bolted up but I needed to modify the bracket to bring the tq arm closer to the rear end/driveshaft so I didn't have to modify my tunnel at all.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Teching In

I did get the dana 60 specific bracket. - Basically the outside set of mounting holes has been cut off, and that area is fine. Upon initial installation I could get the back bolt to drop through with no problem. The front bolt hole was about 3/16" off from lining up with the hole through the housing. 2 problems caused this. The top bolt that mounts the arm to the bracket was hitting the housing so I backed that bolt off and found a 3/16 thick washer to use a a spacer. The second problem is that the inside of the bracket between where the 2 bolts mount the arm to the bracket was also hitting the housing so I am having to grind that area for clearance. I had called Spohn and they said that they have never heard of this before and offered the suggestion of the washer behind the top bolt. (Which again wasn't enough to solve the issue.) Spohn said that I could send the torque arm back at my expense if I didn't want it or I am on my own if I want to modify it, which was really dissappointing after spending nearly $600 on the part. I will post some pics of what is going on this evening.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Here are photos of what I have been up against and a couple of the bracket after I clearenced it. As of now I have been sucessful in getting the bracket to fit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=16089

Let me know what ya think.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

One more time did you order the spohn bracket for the dana 60 or you are trying to mod a stock regular bracket?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
One more time did you order the spohn bracket for the dana 60 or you are trying to mod a stock regular bracket?
Yes, i ordered the Dana 60 specific bracket.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone else order the spohn with the dana 60 bracket and any problems?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered a spohn tq arm 3 years ago for my S60. i had to cut the back bracket off to fitover the top off the punkin. common as mentioned. That is it. bolted on and been driving and racing it since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque arm for Dana 60