Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

qa1s on a daily driven car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default qa1s on a daily driven car

are they going to hold up if i put them on a dd? i dont wanna spend a bunch of money on a shock thats going to go out in a few months. how much does it usually cost to rebuild them?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkySS
are they going to hold up if i put them on a dd? i dont wanna spend a bunch of money on a shock thats going to go out in a few months. how much does it usually cost to rebuild them?
IMO no they do not hold up well on a daily driven street/strip car.I would chose Strange units for a daily driven street/strip application.

I have had much better feedback with the Strange units and the pricing is very comparable (if not cheaper in some cases).

Additional information regarding the Strange shock products can be found HERE
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

hmm i guess ill have to look into them. im just looking at sa rear right now tho.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I have the F Series on my personal vehicle with the 300lb springs and they are holding up just fine. They not only seem to drive well on the street but what is nice when I go to the track I just adjust the **** setting and go racing. Now as far as having them rebuilt I am not sure $ wise due to the fact that I never had any issues. Below is a link to show you what I am running.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...goiamv8t2s9pf5

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...goiamv8t2s9pf5

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

well that complicates things. iv always been a fan of qa1s. anyone else have either on their daily?

so in either of yalls opinion, which is the better performing shock
Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I've got the double adjustable as DDs'. Been running them about 3 yrs. now. I thought they were going bad,they weren't,it was just that I was getting used to them so as time went on they felt less new/different. Put OEM shocks back on for awhile and then put the QA1's back on and they felt like they did when they were new.
I love the double adjustability/seperate compression/rebound in increments of 0-24.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

well that complicates things. iv always been a fan of qa1s. anyone else have either on their daily?

so in either of yalls opinion, which is the better performing shock
what i heard qa1's were good back in the days now some jap company bought them and the qaulity isnt what they use to be, id just save up for some strange's or afco's
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have run both on my own vehicles and function-wise they seem to be very equal. The problem is we have seen a lot of leaking QA1's over the years, including 2 different sets I have had myself for two distinctly different applications. Eventually you stop wondering if it's a coincidence, you know what I mean? I still think QA1 shocks are great shocks but we sell just as many Strange units and we have never had an issue with them....
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

do u think its worth the extra money for da over sa for a dd car? especially if ur just getting rear for now?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

do u think its worth the extra money for da over sa for a dd car? especially if ur just getting rear for now?
Hello
I am not sure who you are asking.....or if it was just a question in general (Sorry Brett I am not trying to ) But going off of my personal preference. I would just suggest going with the single adjustable for a Daily Driver. Like I mentioned they are pre valved for compression and rebound. But when it comes to the double adjustable shocks you have pretty much a unlimited amount of settings. Which you will be able to benefit from when it comes to of Bracket Racing or High HP vehicle to allow you to either get the extra .10th or to give you better weight transfer when it comes to trying to plant 650 + HP. But like I mentioned before I have had mine on for the last 2.5 years and I have no complaints when it comes to the single adjustable shocks or coil over set. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know about the rest of the coil overs on the market but my QA-1's didnt come with a rubber boot around the shaft like the stock units did. i got an after market boot and zip tied it to the usual places on the shock body and after about 60,000 miles they are still as good as new.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my .02.....

I had my Hal QA1's on my car since 2002. Last year in the summer I slammed a pothole on the right side and blew both front/rear passengers side shocks. The front passengers side shock had the round black rubber seal blown completely out of the tube onto the shaft when we removed them a few weeks ago. It was just on it like a donut. The shock shaft would just fall right out from its own weight when we held it up-side down. It was 100% history. But I remember hitting that gigantic pot hole last year...it had to be what blew the two shocks on that side. The other two drivers side shocks..they're perfect.

But for the 7+ years, they were perfect. And I am way lowered on G2 Super Springs. The car handles great with them, 12-way adjustable too. I had them set on #6 the whole time since its just a daily driver street car. Its been my only car for the past 8 years.

I just got my front Hals back from being rebuilt. I sent them both to get rebuilt just because they're both 8 years old and wanted to start fresh with both of them. Cost $120.00 to rebuild both. The guy said the one on the drivers side was in great condition....thats after 8 years of daily driving and lowered for 8 years.
I put them back in last week and the car handles great again. Front end doesn't bounce anymore from only having 50% of shock up front. So that one shock was doing all the work for about 9 months. Pretty good shock.

My rears are being replaced this Saturday with Bilstiens, my friend is getting my two rear Hals in trade for labor to R&R them and put my Bilstiens in as well as some other stuff. He'll send them in to get rebuilt too.

So...for a daily driver. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Hals, they handle light years better than stock. For a DD, they're all you need.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-21-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
I had my Hal QA1's on my car since 2002. Last year in the summer I slammed a pothole on the right side and blew both front/rear passengers side shocks. The front passengers side shock had the round black rubber seal blown completely out of the tube onto the shaft when we removed them a few weeks ago. It was just on it like a donut. The shock shaft would just fall right out from its own weight when we held it up-side down. It was 100% history. But I remember hitting that gigantic pot hole last year...it had to be what blew the two shocks on that side. The other two drivers side shocks..they're perfect.

But for the 7+ years, they were perfect. And I am way lowered on G2 Super Springs. The car handles great with them, 12-way adjustable too. I had them set on #6 the whole time since its just a daily driver street car. Its been my only car for the past 8 years.

I just got my front Hals back from being rebuilt. I sent them both to get rebuilt just because they're both 8 years old and wanted to start fresh with both of them. Cost $120.00 to rebuild both. The guy said the one on the drivers side was in great condition....thats after 8 years of daily driving and lowered for 8 years.
I put them back in last week and the car handles great again. Front end doesn't bounce anymore from only having 50% of shock up front. So that one shock was doing all the work for about 9 months. Pretty good shock.

My rears are being replaced this Saturday with Bilstiens, my friend is getting my two rear Hals in trade for labor to R&R them and put my Bilstiens in as well as some other stuff. He'll send them in to get rebuilt too.

So...for a daily driver. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Hals, they handle light years better than stock. For a DD, they're all you need.

Agree with you 100% the HAL shocks are great units but that version is long gone when he left QA1. The current version is not the same quality IMO...
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Agree with you 100% the HAL shocks are great units but that version is long gone when he left QA1. The current version is not the same quality IMO...
Oh damn....I didn't know that. But yeah, these that I have are great. I've had many people in my car that have F-Bods/Vettes and they are impressed how it has always handled.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

im just directing questions at who ever has a good answer whether they are in the conversation or not. its good to hear anything good or bad about either shock so i can make a good decision no matter where the feedback comes from. a destributor is preffered tho
Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elky, not tryin to hijack, as im looking for the same info, but i just had a question for the knowledgable guys as well.

I have an 01 WS.6 and have been considering going with a set of good coilovers/shocks and, maybe this is a dumb question, but would the settings you use impact longevity? Say, if i ran a lighter spring in the front, and set the shocks to transfer, is it possible that could put added wear on the shocks? My car is a street car, but doesnt get driven alot (few thousand miles a year)

I already have a UMI Tunnel mount Tq Arm, LCAs, PHR, relocation brackets, and i think shocks/springs are the next logical step?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

actually im curious about that too.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

BSD Manufacturing in Wellington, Kansas does the rebuilding for QA1. Great guys, one day turn-around to rebuild my two fronts. He can rebuild 4 in one day too.
$60-$90 each depending on what they need. Basic rebuild with no damaged hard parts, just seals.....$60.00 each.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I run 4x4 protective boots on my single adjustable qa1's. The car came with the shocks when I bought it. The first set leaked after 15,000 mi. I had them rebuilt by a reputable dealer and one of them leaked after 7,000 mi.
It is a PITA to lower the spring, remove the shock, then send it out for servicing, and have to put it all back together and get an alignment every 6 months to year and a half. Next time they blow out seals I'm switching to something else.

Quick Reply: qa1s on a daily driven car