Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Centering the axle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Centering the axle?

This may sound like a retarded newb question, but how do I go about it? I will be installing my adjustable PHB this weekend, its on-car adjustable so I figured I would just put it on a roll-on lift and do it, but will ti hurt anything to crank on the adjuster with the cars weight on the suspension? Should I lift up the back?
Just not quite sure how to go about it. I know the rear is off by a lot, my pass side tire is about 1.5" into the fender and the drivers side tire is flush with it in the back.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you do it with the axle unloaded, you'll probably have to go up and down a couple times to get it in the right place, since the axle will swing to the side a little when it's loaded. I'm pretty sure the on-car adjustables are designed to be adjusted with the vehicle on the ground, parked normally.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I'm gonna put it on a drive on lift so I can be under it when I do it but it will still be "on the ground" so to speak.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it with the suspension loaded. I put my rear axle on jackstands and adjusted it. The body will shift to the correct position as you adjust. Make sure to block the front wheels.

Drop a plumb line or use a straight edge and compare a body and axle point of reference on each side until its centered.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know going by the bodywork is a bad idea, so I was planning to use the LCA mount point as a reference. Does that sound like a good place or is there somewhere better?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I know going by the bodywork is a bad idea, so I was planning to use the LCA mount point as a reference. Does that sound like a good place or is there somewhere better?
As long as the car is sitting level, using a plumb bob from the rear quarter panels should be accurate enough.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Element
If you do it with the axle unloaded, you'll probably have to go up and down a couple times to get it in the right place, since the axle will swing to the side a little when it's loaded. I'm pretty sure the on-car adjustables are designed to be adjusted with the vehicle on the ground, parked normally.
Hello
I would suggest jacking the car up to adjust the pan-hard bar. Then place back on the ground to check your measurements. If you adjust the pan hard bar while the suspension is loaded there is going to be more resistance due to the tires and control arm bushings. And like mentioned above a plumb bob is one of the best form of measurements to center the rear wheels. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
I would suggest jacking the car up to adjust the pan-hard bar. Then place back on the ground to check your measurements. If you adjust the pan hard bar while the suspension is loaded there is going to be more resistance due to the tires and control arm bushings.
Not meaning to stir up anything but I respectfully disagree with that statement. Nothing is simpler than adjusting the panhard rod with the suspension loaded, in fact it's more difficult when the rear end is hanging. There is no tire resistance when the suspension is loaded because you are only shifting the body over the rear. Typically you can turn the PHR by hand and watch the car shift, it's that easy. The bushing resistance mentioned above is the same whether the rear end is hanging or the suspension is loaded.

A plumb bob is definitely the easiest but you can use a level and a tape measure just as easily. Set a level on the ground and rest it up against the wheelwell. Center the bubble then measure from the level to the wheel. Compare sides and adjust accordingly.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/F-BODY_PHR.pdf
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm... I learned a lot here! I've had an adjustable panhard rod for 6-7 years and have always jacked the car up and down and up and down, and it's still not perfect
Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
hmmm... I learned a lot here! I've had an adjustable panhard rod for 6-7 years and have always jacked the car up and down and up and down, and it's still not perfect
The nature of a panhard rod will almost always show inconsistent measurements if there is any bind in the suspension (which almost all cars have to a degree) or the vehicle is not on level pavement when measuring. You can adjust it, measure it then drive up the road and back and get a slightly different measurement. On a car equipped with a PHR, the height of the car dictates the rear end position because those two variables are tied together. Can it be adjusted with the rear hanging? Absolutely, it just takes a lot more time jacking the car up and down until you get it right. Even then the car must be driven to allow the suspension to settle before taking your final measurement. This is why we always recommend to adjust the PHR with the car at rest, suspension loaded, on level pavement.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the suggestions. Like I said before, this will be performed on a level roll-on lift. I can lift the rear of the car up with no issue on there so I guess I will try it with it loaded and if it seems like the tires are giving it too much resistance and it doesn't want to move, I will lift it up after that.

Quick Reply: Centering the axle?