Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What kind of strut mounts ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of strut mounts ?

So today I tried to install my strano springs and bilstien shocks and when I break down the original spring and strut. the strut mount was stuck the metal shaft is rusted together to the strut shaft.So after all that I am faced to buy some new strut mounts what kind do you guys recommend?

Last edited by Jay B; 07-30-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked the same, and the answer seemed to be GM is best. But add some marine grease on that nut top after torqued up to help prevent rusting.

But first, did you try a liberal amount of penetrating spray (like PB Blast) overnight?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

I bought a Dremel tool and cut the nut off when I did mine.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I heard NAPA also has some good replacements. I will be doing this install soon and will have the new mounts if needed. From what I have heard the majority have needed them.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jay B
So today I try to install my strano springs and bilstien shocks and when I break down the original spring and strut. the strut mount was stuck the metal shaft is rusted together to the strut shaft.So after all that I am faced to buy some new strut mounts what kind do you guys recommend?
The Factory shock mounts are the best option. I've seen and heard too many people having problems with any other aftermarket pieces. You can try and find used ones where someone is parting out a car since the dealer wants like some crazy price for one. One local dealer told me like $200 something, which of course is insane. I was able to find a guy parting out a car to sell me the pair for $100 shipped. It's worth it. You may find the GM ones online new for cheaper somewhere but I found the used ones so I bought those.
What happens with the aftermarket ones is the captive nuts in the mount begin to spin or they don't line up well. Just enough problems to warrant buying the factory pieces.
Also, once you get the Torx head bolts out of the drivers side mount in the two forward bolts, I would replace them with a good hex head bolt instead. A grade 10.9 metric (or maybe 12.9) is needed. Don't get the cheap Chinese made bolts that are grade 2. As the OP said, put a dab of grease on the upper shock nuts when reinstalling. It's almost always only the passenger side nuts that get rusted out since the design allowed for water to accumulate in that spot and rust out the nuts.
And once you get the nuts off the shock (I would just cut them off since you are not reusing the shocks) I would try and get the shaft to come out of the mount after soaking in PB Blaster and seeing if that frees it up. The shock shaft is just pushed through the mount and once the nut is off, you might be able to free it up and slide it out. Then at least you can reuse your factory mounts and not buy new ones. I would try and save them if possible. Just get that nut off, Soak it in PB, and then try and pound it out. As long as you don't completely beat the **** out of the mount when you do it, you should be able to reuse the mount once you get the shock shaft to come out.

Good luck.

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 07-30-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Teching In

So i did some searching online and I found the stock mounts for about $275.00 shipped to me does anybody know of any better deals ?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just do what I did. What did I do you ask??? Well I too had both nuts frozen and rusted beyond recognition to both mounts back when I was installing my stranos and kyb agx shocks last year. I just drilled through the top of the shock shaft and right through the center of the mount. I basically destroyed where the threads are on the shock and where the "nut", if you want to call it that, is. I ended up with two mounts with freshly drilled and cleaned up holes in the middle. Just be sure not to use a drill bit too big where the new nut will not tighten down when you put the new shock through the mount. Just use a drill bit really close to the size of your old shock shaft. Be sure to use plenty of marine grease on the new shock after you tighten it down on the mount, just slap it in there on top of the nut. This worked great for me and it will save you money and headaches. Oh and to keep the drill bit straight I punched a dimple on the top of the shock shaft to kind of give you a starting point. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try gmpartsdirect.com & partstaxi.com
Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got Moogs from Advance Auto (have to order them, they come in next day usually). Fit like a glove.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nut splitter !!

Quick Reply: What kind of strut mounts ?