Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Brake noise

Hey guys,

I have done some researching on this noise, but just want to ask a couple questions that I am still unsure about.

I have a 99 T/A Hawk with 22000 miles, with stock calipers all around and powerstop cross drilled rotors, I'm not sure what the pads are because they were put on by the previous owner a couple years back. When I'm driving at like 25 mph and above, and I apply the brakes I can't hear the noise (maybe because of all the other noises that are heard at those speeds; wind etc. But when I brake from 25 mph to 0, I hear this tic, tic, tic noise all the way until I get to a complete stop and its extremely annoying. I have not checked the brakes yet, but I wanted some suggestions on what to look for as I am a pure nuuub. This noise drives me insane. I know that my bushings need to be replaced as they are all stockers and I'm planning to do a complete suspension overhaul next spring, so those will be done then. But I'm almost positive that this noise is coming from the brakes as its only heard when braking.. Basically, I don't know what I should be looking for and what should be replaced if needed. I have read that the slider pins need to be moving freely?? I have no idea what these are haha. I'm learning something new everyday on this site and its awesome and I appreciate your guys help. I also have seen some people buying new brake hardware kits?? If this is what I need? If so where are some of the better places to purchase it from?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at anything that rotates ... from the trans rearward.

I had a factory zip-tie work around and was flapping against the driveshaft.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

it could even be your wheel bearings. Not necessarily the brakes. Depending on how hard you apply the brakes and how fast you are going, the brakes and other parts get loaded differently.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K thanks, I will look into that.. I know it can be many things, I just want some specifics that I should be looking for as I don't have a lot of experience with this.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, when you are looking around underneath the car, make sure the suspension is loaded. Suspension droop may create the clearances needed for the sound to go away.