Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me make a decision..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me make a decision..

Got a question for you suspension gurus. My car is a daily driver, might see a track once a year. Should I put new 1le (moog) bushings in my stock LCA's or buy these instead. http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=104 Not really worried about the price difference, I just don't really want a bunch of extra noise.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, put new 1le (moog) bushings in your stock LCA's, that way you'll still have good suspension articulation. Your other option with the UMI LCA's w/poly bushings will cause binding when the suspension tries to articulate; not good!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, put new 1le (moog) bushings in your stock LCA's, that way you'll still have good suspension articulation. Your other option with the UMI LCA's w/poly bushings will cause binding when the suspension tries to articulate; not good!

^ what he said!!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I was leaning towards. I wish somebody made new ones with rubber bushings. Its just those new, red, shiny LCA's were calling my name. How bad is it gonna be replacing the bushings? Think I read where you torque them down to 78 ft lbs, but whats the best way to do it while still having the weight on the suspension?

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 07-30-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as I agree with you about binding and I preach it myself and its the reason we offer many different bushings, I don't feel a daily driven vehicle will push the bushings to result of binding. At least to a noticeable unsafe or uncontrollable handling point.

But I am also a suspension manufacture that likes selling new parts

Anyways, the cost of installing new bushings will most likely exceed the cost of a new set of control arms depending on what you feel the value of your labor is worth.

If you are truly concerned about binding check out our Roto-Joint

Hope I helped a little, Thanks for looking
Ryan
Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
As much as I agree with you about binding and I preach it myself and its the reason we offer many different bushings, I don't feel a daily driven vehicle will push the bushings to result of binding. At least to a noticeable unsafe or uncontrollable handling point.

Hope I helped a little, Thanks for looking
Ryan
That's what I like about you, Ryan. You see things in a real world.

Ryan's point about the OPs actual, real world use, the UMI would be just fine.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
That's what I like about you, Ryan. You see things in a real world.

Ryan's point about the OPs actual, real world use, the UMI would be just fine.
Thanks Mitch, I try
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Thats what I was leaning towards. I wish somebody made new ones with rubber bushings. Its just those new, red, shiny LCA's were calling my name. How bad is it gonna be replacing the bushings? Think I read where you torque them down to 78 ft lbs, but whats the best way to do it while still having the weight on the suspension?
Best way to torque with a loaded suspension would be a roll on lift. Since we all don't own one of these however jack your car up and slide cinder blocks under the tires (be sure your parking brake is set). Then just ease the car down on to them. They are high enough for you to work under.

A set of rhino ramps (or whatever brand they have) will work, but you'll have to jack the opposite end up anyways.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys. I am gonna do some more research and try to make a decision.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am mainly concerned about the extra noise thats associated with the poly bushings. I've read where some people end up going back with stock, and some people claim no noise at all. I don't mind having to grease them. So what is the noise from? Will the new LCA's really stop wheel hop? Oh yeah wanted to add Arkansas has crappy roads.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, If you're going to get new UMI LCA's at least get a set with the roto-joints on one end so you'll have good articulation, which will allow your suspension to work better on your crappy/uneven road surfaces in Arkansas.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, If you're going to get new UMI LCA's at least get a set with the roto-joints on one end so you'll have good articulation, which will allow your suspension to work better on your crappy/uneven road surfaces in Arkansas.
Yeah i've decided to just go with the new 1le/moog bushings.

Quick Reply: Help me make a decision..