Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing koni DA's soon...is this a good time for diff.springs?.thinkg Watts 4 latr

Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing koni DA's soon...is this a good time for diff.springs?.thinkg Watts 4 latr

Hoping to get my Koni DA's in next weekend...even tho this blazing heat is out of control!

Is it a good time to go with new springs? I'm not into the whole lowering scene but I am interested in building a strong corner carver...as tight as I can get it to be I guess. Budget does come into play...but im not cheap...just frugal. And research helps make good decisions off the first time so money saved is money earned. Anyway...I've read that suspension travel is important...so I am considering keeping the stockers but wanted to pose the question. I'll consider lowering if it is an absolute step up...but not at all if it is an unproven step up.

For the future im leaning on going with a Watts setup....to me it looks like the best upgrade for our types of rear axle and well the price is in my opinion relatively cheap. So please bear this in mind if u still suggest other springs as I cannot go through springs like socks.

Currently the car has a slight lean...<1in rear about 1/4in up front.(passenger side of course as usual)
Its been explained to me that this happens a lot and its possibly part of the PHR setup...which I beleive is a good explanation. I had the car checked by frame shop and aligned...all went extra smooth with report of no accidents from carfax and their measurements as well..alignment was w/flying colors. So the watts interests me more than spending money on an adj phr. and yada yada becuz it offers complete removal of this system.

I plan to go with SFC for sure...and possibly the front and rear sways b4 the watts system.

Thanks to any suggestns....and to strano...(i will be actuating my Koni which have sat around for awhile as per your suggestion).

Any comments on the bump stops before I replace the shocks are appreciated...i've read some threads on it but don't see the big deal on them...would like to know more.

Last edited by License2Ill; 07-31-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone????
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

www.stranoparts.com

Strano Springs are very popular and have great spring rates for a corner carver. They also give a tasteful drop, not like sportlines, etc that slam the car to the ground.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah easier to do it all at once and the Strano stuff recomended is hard to beat. If you are not just after looks but really want to corner carve get his bars too....
Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so no springs that don't drop the cars but improve handling?

Hell yea I want those sway bars biiiig time.

How much do those drop the car by?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

on the front you can install the stock springs on the lower perch of the konis and do the hose mod in the rear... it will lower you a little bit but it won't be as low as strano's or most other springs and the car should handle alot better than it would in stock form
Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the lower perch when u take the removal cups out? Sorry I don't know this.

I can just do a search on the hose mod right?

Sounds like this would bring it down a little which is about what i am willing to accept...I dont like the dropped look all that much..plus this frees up money for the sways sooner.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

there should be 2 grooves on the struts where the perch sits... there is a snap ring that goes in one of the grooves to hold the perch in place... my struts were shipped with the perch installed on the upper groove so if you want to use the lower one you just need to move the snap ring down to the bottom groove... on the hose mod basically you just take your rear springs out and get rid of the rubber insulator that goes in between the springs and the body and then cover the top coil on both springs with a piece of heater hose
Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neutron82
there should be 2 grooves on the struts where the perch sits... there is a snap ring that goes in one of the grooves to hold the perch in place... my struts were shipped with the perch installed on the upper groove so if you want to use the lower one you just need to move the snap ring down to the bottom groove... on the hose mod basically you just take your rear springs out and get rid of the rubber insulator that goes in between the springs and the body and then cover the top coil on both springs with a piece of heater hose
Exactly what neutron said.

Good explanation too
Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks but it seems Koni DA's(yellows) dont have that second slot for the snap ring..?

I do want to do both mods...got any more aces for my predicament?

Thanks for the hose explano.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Thanks but it seems Koni DA's(yellows) dont have that second slot for the snap ring..?
really??... well that sucks if they don't... i have the sa's and figured the da's would have that feature as well... well if that fails you might want to look into hotchkis springs or something similar to those... they will prob lower it about the same as using the lower perch on the sa's and doing the hose mod and the people that own them tend to say good things about them... the only drawback is that you will be out of pocket a little more money

Search this Thread