Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

STRANO springs, Koni 4/4, UMI panhard pics/review

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STRANO springs, Koni 4/4, UMI panhard pics/review

Installed my Koni single adjustable 4/4s all around, Strano lowering spings (1.25" drop), and a UMI cromoly on-car adjustable panhard bar (roto joints). It no longer has that 4x4 stock Camaro look, but does not looked slammed what so ever. It looks how a Camaro should have came form the factory.

The nice shocks make it ride just like it wasnt even lowered. I am pretty shocked at how smooth the car rides. I thought it would be bumpier and more stiff. I currently have the fronts on full soft, and rears 180* from full soft. I think I need to play with the settings to stiffen it up a bit. It looks like the fronts will be tricky to get to without jacking the car up

Next up is Sam's hollow sway bars, and UMI boxed subframes That I will custimize with 3-point bracing.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the Koni SA shocks have the two spots to put the spring pockets? If so, did you put it in the upper or lower position?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Giggity
Do the Koni SA shocks have the two spots to put the spring pockets? If so, did you put it in the upper or lower position?
Upper mount. It takes away travel if you mount it on the lower one (without doing the upper mount mod). Also, it is plenty low on the upper mount.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a really good stance - doesn't have that boy racer frame-dragging look to it, and looks a lot better than the stock ZR2 package f-bodies come with.

Makes it harder to wait to order my suspension stuff from Sam.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

It looks a tad lower in person FWIW
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks better, but I would've used the lower perch. Definitely stiffen it up more.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ninetres
It looks a tad lower in person FWIW
i was gonna say mine looks lower than your's and i have the same setup... i have a ta but i don't think that should matter
Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by neutron82
i was gonna say mine looks lower than your's and i have the same setup... i have a ta but i don't think that should matter
Yes, DEFINITLY looks lower in person. Plus I think TAs do look a tad less 4x4 stock than camaros do.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Torque Fiend
looks better, but I would've used the lower perch. Definitely stiffen it up more.
the lower perch is for stock length springs... i wouldn't do that with any lowering spring even though koni's have a warranty
Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. I have everything but the panhard ready to install. Just need to find some time. From what I heard the car will settle a bit. How were the nuts on the shock mounts? Thats the only part I'm dreading.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99zee
Looks good. I have everything but the panhard ready to install. Just need to find some time. From what I heard the car will settle a bit. How were the nuts on the shock mounts? Thats the only part I'm dreading.
Mine looked brand new, like they were put on yesterday. They spun right off. My car is retarded clean and well maintained.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
Mine looked brand new, like they were put on yesterday. They spun right off. My car is retarded clean and well maintained.
Nice Mine has always been inside. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Torque Fiend
Explain to me how using the same spring on the lower perch will stiffen it up more
Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Explain to me how using the same spring on the lower perch will stiffen it up more
It will feel a lot stiffer when it's bouncing off the bump stops
Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Giggity
It will feel a lot stiffer when it's bouncing off the bump stops
Yeah and that's a great idea right???

I agree, when this car has the right combo of springs and shocks even lowered, it has a great sports car ride quality to it. Way better than a few stock suspension cars I've driven. Even after a weekend in a Hyundai Elantra on stock suspension, I was glad to get out of it back into the Camaro.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im interested in your front shocks without the springs. Pm me if interested in selling. Car looks great btw!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't notice there was two ways to mount the spring perch when I installed mine so I guess that means I'm on the lower perch? I'm real happy, I got the UMI roto joint PHB and LCA's as well and I need to re-torque them since they have started to make some noise, but the instructions said that might be the case so I will do it this weekend.

EDIT: just re-read your first post, once you get Sam's sway bars on there and a good set of SFC's it will feel like a whole new car. The sways made the biggest difference of everything I put on, should have came that way from the factory IMO.

Last edited by Arc00TA; 08-06-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I didn't notice there was two ways to mount the spring perch when I installed mine so I guess that means I'm on the lower perch? I'm real happy, I got the UMI roto joint PHB and LCA's as well and I need to re-torque them since they have started to make some noise, but the instructions said that might be the case so I will do it this weekend.

EDIT: just re-read your first post, once you get Sam's sway bars on there and a good set of SFC's it will feel like a whole new car. The sways made the biggest difference of everything I put on, should have came that way from the factory IMO.
i believe they come from koni on the upper perch... mine were that way anyway... if your's are on the lower perch your car will look like it's on sportlines
Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
<sarcasm on> But, but.... the bars aren't Chrome-moly! <sarcasm off>

Running the lower perch with lowering springs is not recommended. You'll end up around 2" lower and with very little working travel. You run a greater risk of damaging the Koni's and if too many of you do that, Koni will start to wonder what's up. I did not design the springs to be run on any perch height but the stock one, if you opt to do something else that's your call--but I'd not encourage it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Oh.... And I'm glad you guys like the parts. Thank you for saying so publicly!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: STRANO springs, Koni 4/4, UMI panhard pics/review