Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise

Guys, I've got an '01 Z28 and from a few days ago I've started hearing a creaking noise most times when I pull away and when I go over speed humps and sometimes when I take a corner. It seems to be coming from behind and below me, so something to do with the rear suspension.

Now, I had a set of UMI tubular weld-in SFC's installed a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure the instructions mentioned something about tightening the bolts more that connect the SFC's to the lower control arms if this happens. Is that right and are the bolts being to loose likely to be the cause of the creaking?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Launching!

my control arm bolt hole at the frame became enlarged over time i guess.
i went to home depot and got a slightly larger grade 8 bolt. the rattle/noise hasnt came back. grab your control arm and wiggle it. you will be able to tell if its the same bolt issue i had..
Old 08-22-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have similar, but it's coming from the front on my '01 SS -- almost sounds like the springs creaking over speed bumps... Haven't figured out what it is yet.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Please can someone remind me what the UMI instruction sheet says to torque the control arm bolts down to? I'm thinking it was initially to 80lb and then to 100lb if there is any creaking....or was I just imagining that?!?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently having the same issue after swapping the rear end and the rear shocks, creaking and rattling. I think it may be because I tightened the panhard rod and control arms while the car was on the lift with the suspension unloaded, not while it's loaded like you're supposed to do. I'll untorque them and torque them down again with the weight on the tires and see if that works.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did what I planned to do in the above post and I noticed that when the car dips the panhard rod was hitting a bracket for the parking brake cable on the passenger side, causing a loud creaking noise. I unbolted the bracket (which appears to be pretty non-essential) and zip tied it up and out of the way; creaking noise fixed. Check to see if that's your issue.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Good to hear you got your's sorted and thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look later on at how that bracket is sitting in relation to my panhard bar, though I'm doubting that will be my issue as all I had done was the SFC's fitted.

I did try torquing the control arm bolts (where the SFC's attach) up to 90 ft-lb but they were pretty close to that already and it made no difference. Was pretty tricky getting a torque wrench and socket in there too - ended up having to tighten the bolt head instead of the nut.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 AM
On The Tree

One pretty common cause for back of the car creaking is dry sway bar bushings. When the car is up in the air for extended periods of time this may occur.

That's what my mechanics shop told me, anyways.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed that I have a softer (but still annoying) squeaking noise coming from the driver side of the rear. I'll look under there later to see if there's a parking brake bracket or something on that side as well that's getting hit by the panhard rod. I only fixed the one on the passenger side yesterday.