Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMR Lowering Springs

I was wondering if anyone that has BMR lowering springs or any other 1.25" lowering springs have had any issues with clearance on driveways or speed bumps. I have the TSP 1 7/8" headers and wanted to see if anyone else has had clearance issues before I do the springs.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the BMR 1.25 springs and have no problems at all. you will be very happy with them and how your car will sit afterwards. Definitely happy with the BMR lowering spring.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I have the BMR 1.25 springs and have no problems at all. you will be very happy with them and how your car will sit afterwards. Definitely happy with the BMR lowering spring.
Did u change the shocks as well, or just the springs?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by red4.8
Did u change the shocks as well, or just the springs?

well i did change out the shocks for some cheap KYB gas shocks i think they are. My buddy had some shocks laying around as he gave them to me for free since he wasnt gonna lower his car..

But i love how my car looks now with 18" C5 Z06 rims.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulals187
I was wondering if anyone that has BMR lowering springs or any other 1.25" lowering springs have had any issues with clearance on driveways or speed bumps. I have the TSP 1 7/8" headers and wanted to see if anyone else has had clearance issues before I do the springs.
We found that 1.25" is about the limit with aftermarket headers. Of course this is subjective to the roads in your area, height of speed bumps, how you drive, etc., We developed our springs on a car that had Kooks 1-7/8" headers and a Borla exhaust and didn't have any ground clearance issues.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
We found that 1.25" is about the limit with aftermarket headers. Of course this is subjective to the roads in your area, height of speed bumps, how you drive, etc., We developed our springs on a car that had Kooks 1-7/8" headers and a Borla exhaust and didn't have any ground clearance issues.

What shock were u running???
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

I've noticed theres a package that has the springs, adjustable panhard bar and control arm relocation brackets. I know that alot of people replace the panhard bar, but whats the purpose and necessity of the relocation brackets?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

So it well clear your exhaust...I think
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

I hope so. I'd hate to tear up my collectors
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you dont get wheel hop.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Why does it seem like not that many people do that on their vehicle?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

I've got Strano springs and haven't had any problems anywhere other than my own freaking driveway. The angle of the road to the gutter, the angle of the gutter to the carport and the fact that it's narrow restricts me from parking my car where I want. However, I'm thinking about designing something to make it easier for me to get my car up my driveway.

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
So you dont get wheel hop.
According to BMR's website it's to clear your exhaust, nothing more.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

they're called anti squat so the car doesn't go down when you floor it, i can think of only the track for this reason
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The pitch for brackets is to restore your control arm angle after lowering. It's meant to sell parts. There are times that they might be necessary, but despite popular opinion they are not required in all cases and in fact unless someone is pretty serious about drag racing I never put them on just because we lower the car. NOT running them actually helps rear stability around corners when driving quickly.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The pitch for brackets is to restore your control arm angle after lowering. It's meant to sell parts. There are times that they might be necessary, but despite popular opinion they are not required in all cases and in fact unless someone is pretty serious about drag racing I never put them on just because we lower the car. NOT running them actually helps rear stability around corners when driving quickly.
hearing this from you just saved me time and money! thank you sam . . . which reminds me i need to check out your site for some new shocks finally for my car now that it is up and running, 100K on the revalved bilsteins i got from you are kinda worn out i think lol
Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Agreed. Thanks for the help with that question.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
According to BMR's website it's to clear your exhaust, nothing more.

I don't think our website says that? You're probably thinking of a Panhard Relocation Kit.

Here's what it says for the 4th gen Control Arm Relocation Brackets:

"Reposition your instant center by altering your control arm angle for increased traction . Made from strong 3/16" laser cut, cold rolled steel. Both versions will lower the rear of the control arms up to 3" and work with all makes of control arms. A must for lowered vehicles to reclaim lost control arm angles. Bolt in brackets are available in Black Hammertone or red powdercoat. Weld-in brackets come bare only. All hardware and instructions included. NOTE: Bolt-in brackets will not fit aftermarket rear ends."

The science of launching a car is complicated. Without getting into too much detail about Instant Center Location and Anti-Squat, let me say this: Most cars will hook better when the LCAs are level with the ground. This is true for the street as well as the drag strip. The Control Arm Relocation Brackets allow you to level the LCAs on a lowered car.

At $58.95 per pair, we do not make much money on these parts. Some people may think this is an unnecessary part, but most of the fast 4th gens run them. The more power you make, the more you need them.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

If cars don't have wheelhop issues, and the person isn't drag racing, then I don't think they are necessary. And in fact I don't run them on my car because if you run them in a max traction setting, you compromise the handling. I think this just illustrates that we come at suspension from different places.

I agree there are times they are wanted, I just do no believe that's any time you lower a car. In fact sometimes cars leave better without them.

My thinking is simple. See if you need them. If you do, fine. If you don't, then why bother?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
I don't think our website says that? You're probably thinking of a Panhard Relocation Kit.
Ahh, you're right. I got the LCARBs and the PHB relocation kit mixed up. I guess that's what I get for posting at 2:30AM My bad.

Quick Reply: BMR Lowering Springs