Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe conectors hitting bottom of car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Subframe conectors hitting bottom of car?

I had the subframe connectors installed and now when I go over a quick jolt hole or bump they'll bang the bottom of the car, so what do I do, I believe I need to tighten the lower control arms but where to I tighten? do I need to take the wheel off? Any pictures would help, I'm totally lost here and it's annoying as hell.
thanks

pat
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off what kind of SFCs do you have? Second, your SFCs shouldn't move at all. If they are hitting the bottom of the car over bumps there is something definitely wrong. If you need to tighten the LCA then you need to tighten the bolt that goes through the front of the LCA and the SFC. You don't need to take your tire off.

Has this happened the whole time that you've had your SFCs or is this a recent development? If I were you I'd crawl under the car, see which side it's hitting on and where it's hitting, examine that SFC and mounting points and then re-torque everything on that side.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

This is typical on a lot of SFC installs. I don't know what brand of SFC's you have but most of the time the installer does not tighten the bolt on the front of the control arm tight enough and the bolt makes noise when going over bumps. The OE torque spec is only enough to compress the factory mount on the control arm but it takes additional torque to compress the OE mount "plus" the SFC mount. There is no need to remove your tire to tighten this connection.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Interesting and useful tip, thanks.

Quick Reply: Subframe conectors hitting bottom of car?