Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need LS1 brakes for LT1. Who sells everything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need LS1 brakes for LT1. Who sells everything?

I've heard that the LS1 brakes are lighter than the LT1. I'm sure that has to do with the LS1's calipers being aluminum.

But since my right caliper is siezed up I might as well change the brakes. The question is, where do I get the parts? Am I going to have to scoure the junkyards?

What else do I need besides LS1 calipers, rotors, and spindles?

Thanx for you help guys
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ughhh, LT1 calipers are aluminum also i think.

For the calipers, pads and rotors you can get from your local parts store. spindle will have to be from a junk yard, or someone on here selling it. Thats all you need.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 08-24-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have front and rear LS1 calipers for sale. and then i would recommend getting Brembo blanks and HPS pads.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

My mistake. I thought just the rear was aluminum. My car's been off the road for a decade so I forgot a few details here and there. Thanx for the clarification. I thought the LS1 front brake system was lighter and figured I could lose a few more pounds after the K member swap.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if anything, LS1 brakes are heavier. The rotors are 1/2 larger in diameter(more material=weight), the calipers are bigger and have more parts(more material parts=weight. the spindles are pretty much the same weight. just different design for mounting the caliper.

so you wont really be losing any weight. You will have some fantastic braking though. It made a huge difference with my car.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
What else do I need besides LS1 calipers, rotors, and spindles?

Thanx for you help guys
For an LT1 car, you don't need the knuckles, just adaptor brackets.

I suggest TrackBrackets

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/br...brackets-.html

They are currently on sale (not at that site) for $120.

You will also need abutment brackets for the pads to ride in.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
ughhh, LT1 calipers are aluminum also.
Unless they're a special alloy that is really heavy and rusts, they're not aluminum. I have a pair sitting in my garage, they weigh 13 lbs each. I didn't weigh the LS1 calipers I put on, but they felt a couple pounds lighter. You're not going to save much weight though.

You can pick up everything you need on ebay fairly often, that's what I did.

I've heard a lot of people need longer brake lines. I picked up a set of C5 lines for free that worked great. I never really measured to see if the original lines would have worked though.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the LS1 spindles might be a little lighter than the LT1's since the knuckles aren't there. It looks like the LS1 brakes might be somewhat lighter but unless someone weighs them I'll never know. Either way it looks like a win-win situation.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Too bad you didn't ask this two weeks ago, I had both sets of each assembly sitting in my garage.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FirehawkJeff on ebay aka http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

I installed his conversion kit for my old '95 to replace the rear drums...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I know this is an older thread but I am doing the conversion right now and was looking for some brake line options when I saw it. I have all the parts here so I weighed all the components (spindle, hub, caliper and caliper bracket for the ls1) in case someone else was looking. The ls1 setup was 49 lbs and the lt1 was 56 lbs. This was on a bathroom scale so I'm sure it's a little off but you can tell the difference in the weight.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UMI sells an adapter bracket for LT to LS/C5 brake upgrade & I've had this brake setup on the car for 3 years and not a single prob. No changing of the spindle or anything else is needed; however you will have to cut off one of the spindles ears that mounts up to the OEM caliper for the adapter to mount....no biggie- the LT brakes suck anyways. Get ahold of them...simple as that

Im running brakes off an 02 ZO6 and no comparison in performance. Call shops that work on Vettes and look for 'fresh-trade-ins' from those that upgraded their Vettes from OEM brakes to something else. (caliper & abuntment bracket) You'd be amazed what deals you may find. Pics of my UMI adapter and pad & rotor change this past weekend before running it at Road America.

I'm running Earls braided brake lines and DOT 5.1 fluid.

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 10-17-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97 bird louis
I know this is an older thread but I am doing the conversion right now and was looking for some brake line options when I saw it. I have all the parts here so I weighed all the components (spindle, hub, caliper and caliper bracket for the ls1) in case someone else was looking. The ls1 setup was 49 lbs and the lt1 was 56 lbs. This was on a bathroom scale so I'm sure it's a little off but you can tell the difference in the weight.
That's a pretty significant weight decrease. Another 14 lbs off the front end. Doesn't BAER still make Eradispeed rotors for the LS1 with the aluminum center for more weight reduction?

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
UMI sells an adapter bracket for LT to LS/C5 brake upgrade & I've had this brake setup on the car for 3 years and not a single prob. No changing of the spindle or anything else is needed; however you will have to cut off one of the spindles ears that mounts up to the OEM caliper for the adapter to mount....no biggie- the LT brakes suck anyways. Get ahold of them...simple as that

Im running brakes off an 02 ZO6 and no comparison in performance. Call shops that work on Vettes and look for 'fresh-trade-ins' from those that upgraded their Vettes from OEM brakes to something else. (caliper & abuntment bracket) You'd be amazed what deals you may find. Pics of my UMI adapter and pad & rotor change this past weekend before running it at Road America.

I'm running Earls braided brake lines and DOT 5.1 fluid.
Thanx for the tips. Your brakes look nice! I can get my hands on everything pretty cheap. I'm going to get the LS1 spindles and have them powdercoated as well. As for the C5 brakes, I was going to consider them till I found out they dont fit with my 17" ROH wheels.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set in my garage that I've been thinking about swapping over. I want to put the CTSV calipers I have in the garage on my 95, but I have 17s on the front right now. I'd need to swap the wheels onto my Formula, buy two new tires, and the remaining conversion parts. It is on my list of things to do, but I may just end up swapping to the LS1 brakes when I change the rears from drums to disks.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
FirehawkJeff on ebay aka http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

I installed his conversion kit for my old '95 to replace the rear drums...
I am doing the exact same thing with my 95. What all did you have to do to swap these over. I have a rear out of a 2000 Camaro with an open carrier and disk brakes. I bought a 2.73 2 series posi that I plan on swapping over so everything is the same. I ended up having to chop through the e brake cables to get them off of the car as I was in a hurry. Will the 95 cables work on the 2000 brakes?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Just wondering how much longer the brake lines need to be on the front calipers?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Sic em G
The following users liked this post:
biketopia (07-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Need LS1 brakes for LT1. Who sells everything?