Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Panhard Bar

Sorry guys, but I have a question. I was under the rear changing out the stock 10 bolt rear end cover. In order for me to get enough clearance to position the new cover, I had to remove the Panhard bar from one of its mounting positions. My question is this; what is the stamped steel bar above the panhard bar and why do we not also change out that wimpy bar when upgrading everything else? My suspension components are a mixture of Umi, Bmr and SLP. I have searched the above manufacture's, but I did not see that anyone produces a replacement for that stamped steel bar.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the upper panhard rod...I don't think it really does anything except offer a little strength to the body mount point for the lower panhard rod. I vaguely recall one company making replacement upper panhard rods, and I believe both UMI and BMR make kits that replace the upper bar with a new one that's bent to allow more clearance for over-the-axle exhaust setups, but I don't think it's marketed as (nor really would serve as) a "performance" replacement.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You are correct, while our PHR Relocation Kit is definitely stronger than the OE upper PHR support, there is little to gain by simply strengthening up the support. The main purpose of our kit is to provide additional exhaust clearance.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are also kits to lower the mounting point for the panhard too. You can also modify that & make it adjustable. So then you can adjust the roll center (lower) the rear P/H bar.

So from a handling aspect there are gains there.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you also cannot use it if your lowered right BMR? or correct me if i am wrong...