Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Burning the bushings off of upper control arm safe on the arms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning the bushings off of upper control arm safe on the arms?

I had no choice but to do this......i heated them up but they wont come off.
I read a few ppl just completely burn them off.....its what im resorting to.
Is it safe on the control arm?? Dont want to untemper it or something although I doubt im getting to those temperatures but thought Id ask.

The Energy suspension kit I have did not come with the shells...so I have to re-use them....I guess my kit is a little older....sux i know but not the end of the world.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't heat the arms up too much, you should be fine. I can't imagine the burn point of the nasty old rubber OEM bushings is that high.

You could also do what I did with an old K5 Blazer - take a drill, and drill a series of holes around the outside of the bushing, as close to the control arm as you can. You should be able to drill enough of the bushing out to either knock it out using a big socket and hammer, or just keep drilling until the whole thing falls out.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

it just does not get that hot.......smokey and smelly yes........hot ........no.....did mine with no problems.......just let the bushing burn til its all gone......then clean that mess out of the shells......thats that hard part
Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done that job a few times in the past. You don't really need to "burn" the bushings out. All you need to do is get the shells hot enough to melt the adhesive that holds the rubber bushing to the steel shell.

A propane torch should be more than sufficient. Just heat the shell evenly, and the adhesive will let go, and the rubber will slide out. Clean out the remaining mess with acetone and a small piece of scotch brite.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had read in previous post to just "burn" them out....so I tried to do just that....and most of it did melt and burn away....so basically on that one....arm I heated them up real good till firing and smoke maybe 5 times. No dipping in cold water tho.

Then on the other I did just like u said and used a right sized socket and a hammer and they slid right out like you said....felt really really stupid and now im pissed cuz im scared I maybe overheated the metal....think its possible?? I made it prone to be brittle or so?
Let me know cuz I havent exactly yet reinstalled.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by License2Ill
I had read in previous post to just "burn" them out....so I tried to do just that....and most of it did melt and burn away....so basically on that one....arm I heated them up real good till firing and smoke maybe 5 times. No dipping in cold water tho.

Then on the other I did just like u said and used a right sized socket and a hammer and they slid right out like you said....felt really really stupid and now im pissed cuz im scared I maybe overheated the metal....think its possible?? I made it prone to be brittle or so?
Let me know cuz I havent exactly yet reinstalled.
I wouldn't worry about the metal getting brittle unless you did dip the hot shell in H20......
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nah no water...thnx...gonna just reassemble hopefully today.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Wow I'm super late to the party! But I agree with leadfoot4. It's not neccessary or efficient to burn the rubber. All you have to do is heat the housing to break the chemical bond between the rubber and shell.

I have some detailed pictures of the process in an article I wrote about how to properly burn out suspension bushings:

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...the-right-way/

There is also a video for anyone who doesn't like to read.

Now that it has been a few years, has anyone had any negative results in this method?

Quick Reply: Burning the bushings off of upper control arm safe on the arms?